Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feel like doing the same thing back
sally 08:14 AM 02-03-2014
Hey All, I have a super annoying set of dc parents and its always one thing after another that annoys me. Well, in our contract it states that unless its an emergency they need to give me at least 2 weeks notice for taking time off (vacations) and the same for me. Yesterday dcmom texts me the schedule for the week and adds that she's taking the whole week off next week. I'm sure she knew about it way before then and it ticked me off. Last summer they took 4 different weeks of vacation and she only gave me a few days to a weeks notice only and I was wondering is it wrong to plan my families vacation this summer and only give her a week's notice to find other care? Is that too mean? I guess I'm just sick of the family. I can't really term but feel like maybe I can peeve them off enough to go elsewhere
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by sally:
Hey All, I have a super annoying set of dc parents and its always one thing after another that annoys me. Well, in our contract it states that unless its an emergency they need to give me at least 2 weeks notice for taking time off (vacations) and the same for me. Yesterday dcmom texts me the schedule for the week and adds that she's taking the whole week off next week. I'm sure she knew about it way before then and it ticked me off. Last summer they took 4 different weeks of vacation and she only gave me a few days to a weeks notice only and I was wondering is it wrong to plan my families vacation this summer and only give her a week's notice to find other care? Is that too mean? I guess I'm just sick of the family. I can't really term but feel like maybe I can peeve them off enough to go elsewhere
I would definitely not play eye for an eye as that makes you as bad as them...kwim?

Do you charge for families that take a vacation? Or is their vacation time free?

If it's free, I'd charge them. I would print out the page in your contract that states you require a minimum of 2 weeks notice and attach it to the billing.

Follow your policies or they won't either.
Cat Herder 08:49 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by sally:
. Yesterday dcmom texts me the schedule for the week and adds that she's taking the whole week off next week.

I was wondering is it wrong to plan my families vacation this summer and only give her a week's notice to find other care? Is that too mean? I guess I'm just sick of the family.
Why not just tell her to have fun and be sure to pay in advance before they leave? It is a paid week off from her kids for you.

It would be an odd assumption for them to think they would not have to pay, since they already know they must.

Are you assuming they won't pay or have they told you they are not willing to?
Sugar Magnolia 10:06 AM 02-03-2014
"I'm.sorry Sally, you did not give me two weeks notice for vacation, as per my policy, therefore full tuition is due."

To not give them proper notice , just to piss them off is.....well....immature and unprofessional, in my opinion.
Play Care 10:14 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
"I'm.sorry Sally, you did not give me two weeks notice for vacation, as per my policy, therefore full tuition is due."

To not give them proper notice , just to piss them off is.....well....immature and unprofessional, in my opinion.

I think you need to decide - are you a business owner or not? If you want to own your own business, then you need to take charge. It means having to remind clients of the contract and what's expected. It means being able to have uncomfortable conversations. The sooner you realize "it's not personal, it's business" the happier you will be. Don't ever be petty, because that will bite you in the long run. Good Luck!
TwinKristi 10:24 AM 02-03-2014
I would print a copy of your contract and highlight the portion about vacations and remind her you let her slide last summer with their 4wks off but she's used her free pass and the rules will be enforced. Easier said than done I know, but like others said, this is YOUR business and if you let her do this this every year if won't stop and will only get worse.
Of course doing it back would be silly, she could then leave and claim you broke the contract. Sure she's done it 2x now but DCPs seem to know their rights much better than yours!
DaisyMamma 11:22 AM 02-03-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Follow your policies or they won't either.

crazydaycarelady 12:29 PM 02-03-2014
Yes, charge them! Then you won't mind them taking the week off in the least!
Tags:contract - clear, enforcing policies - consistency, vacation - parents, vacation paid, vacation policy
Reply Up