Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Does Structure Mean To You?
grateday 10:46 AM 04-17-2014
Can anyone tell me what structure means to them?

Someone perceived my childcare as being less structured because children have more choice?

Am I wrong to allow children the choice to run around in there underwear in front of one other child because they are celebrating there happiness in wearing underwear because of potty training?

Am I wrong to allow a child to run around in a diaper inside the house because that is what she wants to do and does at home and her mom knows she does it here?

Am I wrong to allow children to make a mess once in a while because they are playing.

Am I wrong for not being as strict as someone else because my child wants to cut and grabbed child scissors off the counter without asking. Am I wrong for not punishing them right away. Is it wrong that I like to see a child's creative playful side. Is it wrong that I like children to have a choice and make decisions?

Maybe others are not on the same page, but I am a little less structured when there are less children in childcare.

In a group setting with multi ages and even larger childcare settings I understand the need for more structure. But when there is two kiddos here with me and I am more of a "crunchy mom" I think it is ok to let the kids let loose.

Don't get me wrong, I teach them all of the time, have curriculum, assessments, rules for safety, etc.

So if anyone can tell me what structure means to them I would be happy to hear it, so I can prepare myself for the next clown that walks through my door and judges me and the company I keep (children).
hwichlaz 10:48 AM 04-17-2014
For me structure is a meal and nap schedule with at least one scheduled learning period per day. I let them free play the rest of the time.

Edited to add, that there are specific routines for each thing too. Before nap we have potty and then story time, then I turn on soft music. For meals I have the kids that are tall enough help set the table while I prepare food. Outside time is scheduled seasonally. In the summer I swap my outside play time and my daily educational time because it's too hot to play outdoors in the afternoon etc.
preschoolteacher 11:05 AM 04-17-2014
I think if it works for you and the kids are happy and safe, so be it!

I don't let kids do things that could hurt themselves or damage property, but I don't have the same rules for everyone. For example, Bobby (2 years) can sit on the couch because he sits calmly. Susie (2 years) gets one chance on the couch, but she always ends up having to come down immediately because she climbs and jumps. My son is only 21 months, but I let him cut with child scissors because I know him, his skills, and I trust that he can handle it. Another child may not be able to do this unless I had time to sit by their side and give them one-on-one attention.

I have pretty heavily structured days in the winter, when we can't go outside, and I have 5 or 6 kids (all under 3 years old). I HAVE to have structure or else things get crazy. So we have blocks of free play, scheduled times for activities and crafts, and so on. I'm stricter with my rules during these times, too.

When I only have two kids, I'm way more free! Actually, whenever my group is 3 kids or less, we throw almost all structure out the window and go on field trips. I love the days with fewer kids... having snack on blankets in the playroom (breaking the "no food in the playroom" rule!), letting the kids climb up the slide backwards because I can supervise 2 safely and let someone do this, painting huge messy paintings, and so on. So there! :P to whoever is judging you.
Annalee 11:07 AM 04-17-2014
Originally Posted by grateday:
Can anyone tell me what structure means to them?

Someone perceived my childcare as being less structured because children have more choice?

Am I wrong to allow children the choice to run around in there underwear in front of one other child because they are celebrating there happiness in wearing underwear because of potty training?

Am I wrong to allow a child to run around in a diaper inside the house because that is what she wants to do and does at home and her mom knows she does it here?

Am I wrong to allow children to make a mess once in a while because they are playing.

Am I wrong for not being as strict as someone else because my child wants to cut and grabbed child scissors off the counter without asking. Am I wrong for not punishing them right away. Is it wrong that I like to see a child's creative playful side. Is it wrong that I like children to have a choice and make decisions?

Maybe others are not on the same page, but I am a little less structured when there are less children in childcare.

In a group setting with multi ages and even larger childcare settings I understand the need for more structure. But when there is two kiddos here with me and I am more of a "crunchy mom" I think it is ok to let the kids let loose.

Don't get me wrong, I teach them all of the time, have curriculum, assessments, rules for safety, etc.

So if anyone can tell me what structure means to them I would be happy to hear it, so I can prepare myself for the next clown that walks through my door and judges me and the company I keep (children).
Structure to me means having consistent routines with breakfast, lunch, nap and snack....Children are then open to child and adult directed experiences throughout the day. However, avoiding chaos (my days can be chaotic at times, but I try to avoid the out-of-control issues ) and keeping the environment safe are a HUGE priority of mine....I do keep 12-15 children in a group setting so I consider structure with consistency an asset while still allowing many free choice experiences. There has to be an appropriate balance.

It is your program and as long as you meet guidelines pertinent to you and your program, so be it.
TwinKristi 11:32 AM 04-17-2014
We have structured eating and nap times, but besides that and crafts based on holidays/seasons, we have lots of free play. I have a younger crowd though, all under 3. I prefer to let them make the choice of what they want to do and go with it. Sometimes everyone wants to play outside, sometimes someone wants to play with the trains so I'm in between. Small children need more free choice play time and less structured play. Sleeping, eating, etc. is different and children thrive off of that structure but everything else is just fun!
llpa 11:57 AM 04-17-2014
Don't beat yourself up too much! A lot of parents choose home based childcare so their children have the same freedoms they wld have at home. In my setting ( which is a rented space) it is me who needs the structure of a scheduled day. But within that schedule are the freedoms that allow for celebration, growth and decision making on every child's part. We aren't locked in. That's what I love about this job! There are lots of ways to give children what they need. It's a beautiful thing
DuchessRavenwaves 12:39 PM 04-17-2014
What you are doing sounds just fine to me!

On the one hand, I hear what the previous posters are saying. My daycare has "structure" in that we do basically the same thing every day: they arrve, we play, pick up, eat snack, go potty, play, pick up, eat lunch, hear a story, nap, wake up and eat snack, go potty, play, go home. Before having read this thread, however, I thought of a "structured" daycare as having "structure" during the play times, not just in the sense of having a reliable basic daily schedule.

I just termed a family for many reasons, one of which was that I felt the kids needed more structure. By that I meant more planned out activities/blocks of time with more direct caregiver involvement/supervision. They just could not handle free play [100%, totally free free play] and really needed to be in a place where they can be told what to do. The gigantic, corporate daycare centers I so dislike, with their meaningless mass produced forced craft projects, their worksheets for 2 year olds, their "Put the trucks away, Billy, it's time to play with dinosaurs," and etc. are actually exactly what those kids need. They need to be kept away from each other, and very very very busy-- busier than I could handle. (They were an advanced 5 and a somewhat advanced 3.)
Reply Up