Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Going Outside with Colds
mamamanda 05:50 AM 02-19-2016
So I've heard it both ways, that going outside with a cold can make it worse and that going outside in the fresh air actually helps to kill the germs.
It's been staying in the 20s and 30s here and today it is actually supposed to be up to 50F! I really want to go outside, but I have an infant and toddler on antibiotics recovering from sinus infections, one with ear infection the other with respiratory infection. The rest of us have all had colds. Everyone is on the mend, but there is a lot of coughing/runny noses still. Is it wise to go out and breathe some fresh air or should I hold out until next week?
Play Care 05:54 AM 02-19-2016
I would absolutely get outside.
Even if it's for a few minutes, I do think fresh air helps.
MissAnn 05:56 AM 02-19-2016
Fresh air is wonderful especially for sinuses. Get that stuff flowing! I think it's an old fashioned way of thinking....that cold causes colds. Winter is bad for germs because we are inside with the heat on......germ loves that! I go by how the kids feel.....if several tell me they are freezing...we go in. You can always go out and run around, get fresh air and then go in.
Rockgirl 06:05 AM 02-19-2016
We follow our routine, regardless. If they are well enough to be at daycare, they are well enough to join in our activities. Also, I don't think going outside makes a cold worse.
Blackcat31 06:07 AM 02-19-2016
Think about the air inside. (recycled, used, full of germs, viruses etc...... ick!)

Think about the air outside (fresh, clean, unused)
Sunshine, vitamin D....

ALL beneficial. Especially those who are sick.
Miss A 06:09 AM 02-19-2016
Definitely get outside! I had an awful cold last week, and after spending time outside in the afternoon with my kiddos, I felt so much better! Fresh air does a body good, and bei g outside may help your kiddos take their mind off of how miserable they feel.
Leigh 06:31 AM 02-19-2016
Being outside is not going to make them sicker. If they're well enough for daycare, they're well enough for outside time.
MissAnn 06:42 AM 02-19-2016
Parents are hard sometimes. I have one who doesn't want her kid outside if it's cold. If she sees in pictures that we went outside she will text and ask where his hat is. I will have to tell her that the grandma forgot to bring it. I let her know that as long as it's 32° we are going outside. Then I had another mom who would get mad because she wanted her son to decide if he wanted to wear a coat or not. The tip of the iceberg was when he told on me because I made him wear a coat. I told the mom that it was barely 32° outside and he was wearing a tank top. Yes he is going to wear a coat. They took their son out of my daycare after that! How silly.
MunchkinWrangler 07:53 AM 02-19-2016
Absolutely, even if it's short. Fresh air is healthy, I've had my doctors say to get outside while sick, it helps you feel better.
Thriftylady 07:58 AM 02-19-2016
I get lots of sinus infections, and getting outside almost always helps me, until I come back in at least. Now if it was really cold and a chest thing like bronchitis, I might say different just because it is already harder to breathe when it is cold.
childcaremom 08:06 AM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
We follow our routine, regardless. If they are well enough to be at daycare, they are well enough to join in our activities. Also, I don't think going outside makes a cold worse.

finsup 08:18 AM 02-19-2016
I just had to discuss this with a dcm yesterday. Sent dcb pretty close to needing to be home. Typical whiny, clingy, runny nose, watery eyes, coughing type of cold. We still went out. I explained if dcb is well enough to be at daycare, dcb is well enough to go outside. Suggested that tomorrow he stay home if he needs to rest indoors. Rest does not happen here except at nap time lol. Dcb is home today as a result

As for my own kids, it depends. I don't think it makes them worse but they are far more active outside. It's sometimes better to do a quiet indoor activity with them instead. But it depends on how bad the sickness is
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:02 AM 02-19-2016
If they are not well enough to go outside, they are not well enough to be here.
mamamanda 12:33 PM 02-19-2016
Thanks everyone! We went out for about 40 minutes and everyone loved it. It was very needed!
momofboys 04:31 PM 02-19-2016
I'm glad you got outside. I am definitely in the camp of those who think a little outdoors time is a cure for anything. Hope it helped you all. I did find this article interesting about a study alleging that cold weather can make you sick :

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-he...0KE1OK20150105
Ariana 06:36 PM 02-19-2016
I love taking sick kids outside. Their noses run like faucets when it is cold out and that means the germs are coming out!
laundrymom 06:58 PM 02-19-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I love taking sick kids outside. Their noses run like faucets when it is cold out and that means the germs are coming out!

Pepperth 04:26 AM 02-21-2016
I'm of the opinion that being outside with a cold is good for you. I think fresh air does wonders to the body.
Tags:outside play winter, sick policy
Reply Up