Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Vent...What's The Best Decision?
wdmmom 10:02 AM 08-22-2011
For the summer months, I closed a half hour early every Friday. Because of contracted hours, it only affected 1 particular family and they agreed to accommodate the change for 9 weeks.

I sent a note home about 4 weeks ago about the consistency of lateness, especially on Fridays. I reminded them of the policy, etc. (I have not yet charged them any late fees as of yet.)

This past Friday, I closed at 2pm rather than the summer closing of 230pm. All of the children were gone by 140pm except for the one that's always late. (Mind you..this family works right around the block from me. Literally a 3 minute walk or a 1 minute drive. His excuse is it's a business and they never know when they can and can't leave because they may or may not be busy. My thought is this: If you aren't busy at 1:25pm, come get him then to avoid being late! Is that too much to ask?!) At 2:05pm, I call the business...no answer. I call again at 2:07pm and get told that DCD had already left to pick DCB up. At 2:11pm, DCD finally flies into the driveway like a bat outta he!!. The first thing out of his mouth is, "Awww..sorry I'm late." I reply with "AGAIN!". He noticed DH loading our van (we were heading out of town for the weekend) and says, "Have fun!"

I don't know what it is with this DCD but he's really rubbing me the wrong way. I've been working for them for 6 months and feel like my time is completely disregarded when it comes to them.

The only downfall to terming is that this DCB fills my afternoon part time slot opposite a part time morning DCG.

Do I put this family on 30 day probation?
Term?
Start advertising for an afternoon slot in hopes I can fill it?
Make an invoice for $11.00 and give it to DCD at pick up in hopes he'll get the hint?
Something else?
Cat Herder 10:06 AM 08-22-2011
Remember that you asked.

I think a set, unchanging, schedule is the solution for all of you.

With so much back and forth it gets too confusing to keep up with.

The amount of stress it is causing you and your family is palpable in your post.

To you it is "one simple request", but to DCD it may have been one of a thousand things on his "request" list between clients, his wife, his mother, etc... YKWIM?
Crazy8 10:12 AM 08-22-2011
hmmm... first, are you almost done doing these summer hours? Did you have a problem with them picking up late when you were doing regular hours?

Honestly, in that last note you should have said late fees will be charged from this point on. You can still do that. I had a late fee in my contract, never really charged it because it wasn't a big problem for years. When it became an issue with one or two families - I put in my newsletter that while I have always been lenient with late fees in the past that due to some abuse of the policy from that day forward late fees would be charged to EVERYONE who fell outside the guidelines, that it was only fair, etc. etc.

Since you are closing outside your true contracted times for the summer I would probably let the last one slide but send home a notice and from now on charge for every infraction!

I wouldn't term a family over it if I could avoid that option.
Sunshine44 10:15 AM 08-22-2011
I'm not totally sure I read it right, but if you are asking "why is it so hard for dcd to pick boy up at 1:25 when he isn't busy..." that is because he is AT WORK! I get he should be there on time, but depending on where he works, he may have a valid excuse. Sometimes businesses get busy and if a customer is in your office, you cannot just leave at 1:45 exactly. You have to finish your biz with the customer and then leave. That's life. NOW, that is not YOUR problem. If he is late, he should get a late fee or whatever it is you decide. If he doesn't like it, he can find a later daycare provider. I think you are closing really early, but that isn't my biz either.

Anyway, the only way you will be happy is to make a rule and enforce it. Or term. I don't think you can meet their needs, so term seems better.

Hope you get it worked out.
wdmmom 10:35 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Remember that you asked.

I think a set, unchanging, schedule is the solution for all of you.

With so much back and forth it gets too confusing to keep up with.

The amount of stress it is causing you and your family is palpable in your post.

To you it is "one simple request", but to DCD it may have been one of a thousand things on his "request" list between clients, his wife, his mother, etc... YKWIM?
Yes, I understand but this is something I've done for years. And, it's a half hour. This isn't something I sprung on DCD, it's something they were made aware of when they signed up.

I don't think my request to not be late is any different than others. I really think this DCD is very absent minded and careless when it comes to others time.
cheerfuldom 10:38 AM 08-22-2011
Give them a chance to redeem themselves. Charge the late fee, letting them know that being late is unacceptable and perhaps they will start being better about it. At this point, it doesn't bother him enough to stop because you are watching his kid and not putting an force to your words. I understand that he has a million things to remember but so do the rest of us. No sympathy from me.
wdmmom 10:39 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by Sunshine44:
I'm not totally sure I read it right, but if you are asking "why is it so hard for dcd to pick boy up at 1:25 when he isn't busy..." that is because he is AT WORK! I get he should be there on time, but depending on where he works, he may have a valid excuse. Sometimes businesses get busy and if a customer is in your office, you cannot just leave at 1:45 exactly. You have to finish your biz with the customer and then leave. That's life. NOW, that is not YOUR problem. If he is late, he should get a late fee or whatever it is you decide. If he doesn't like it, he can find a later daycare provider. I think you are closing really early, but that isn't my biz either.

Anyway, the only way you will be happy is to make a rule and enforce it. Or term. I don't think you can meet their needs, so term seems better.

Hope you get it worked out.
When DCM, DCD and DCM's brother all work at the same place and they pick up DCB just to take him to work with them, yes, I don't think my request is too much.

Prior to hiring me, they were taking DCB to work everyday and everyone would take turns watching him. It's the same thing they do after he's picked up everyday and all day Saturday and Sunday.
Cat Herder 10:42 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
it's something they were made aware of when they signed up.
OK, I understand now...

I read it to say "for the summer" as in something new...

IMHO, The ball is in your court. Enforce what you told him when he signed up...
wdmmom 10:43 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Give them a chance to redeem themselves. Charge the late fee, letting them know that being late is unacceptable and perhaps they will start being better about it. At this point, it doesn't bother him enough to stop because you are watching his kid and not putting an force to your words. I understand that he has a million things to remember but so do the rest of us. No sympathy from me.
I wasn't asking for sympathy...I was asking for suggestions.

Mind you...this family owns a nail salon and are open 65-70 hours per week and it's never mattered whether it was summer hours or regular hours, they've consistently been late at least 2 Fridays per month...sometimes by 2 minutes, sometimes by 10 minutes.

I am sending a letter home and an invoice stating that our hours are now back to the normal scheduled time and if he's beyond 3pm (even if it's a minute,) he's going to be charged. I'm sure he'll throw his bologna charm into it and laugh it off. This dad is just that inconsiderate. I don't think he tries to be, I just think that's the way he is!
cheerfuldom 10:47 AM 08-22-2011
No I mean that the dad would not get my sympathy! you, of course, have it I think we all have parents at times that act like the world revolves around them.
wdmmom 10:53 AM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
No I mean that the dad would not get my sympathy! you, of course, have it I think we all have parents at times that act like the world revolves around them.
This is my 3rd year and I haven't met anyone quite like this DCD! I'm going to write up a 30 day probation letter too. That way if I get laughed at when I give him the invoice, he's getting the 30 day probation letter too!
sharlan 11:24 AM 08-22-2011
Having a nail salon, I can understand the being late. If he has a customer, he can't just walk out the door. I imagine Fri's are the worst, with everyone trying to get their nails done before the weekend.

I would set your time and leave it there, no changing it around. Remind them that is THE time, and effective immediately, late charges will happen.
godiva83 11:50 AM 08-22-2011
If he has agreed to the pick up time of 2:00 he has to be there at 2:00 no excuses or a late fee should be paid!
Good for you for sticking to your guns, also lucky you closing at 2:00 for the summer! May I ask what your regular hours are? Sometimes, I have to remind myself I am running my own business, one where I make and set the rules to- I would definitely consider an earlier close time for Fridays in the summer. Also, what and how would you put someone on probation?
wdmmom 12:39 PM 08-22-2011
Originally Posted by godiva83:
If he has agreed to the pick up time of 2:00 he has to be there at 2:00 no excuses or a late fee should be paid!
Good for you for sticking to your guns, also lucky you closing at 2:00 for the summer! May I ask what your regular hours are? Sometimes, I have to remind myself I am running my own business, one where I make and set the rules to- I would definitely consider an earlier close time for Fridays in the summer. Also, what and how would you put someone on probation?
I work 7am - 530pm Monday through Thursday and 7am - 3pm Fridays (close at 230pm on Fridays during the summer)

I've been doing this at home and consistently now for almost 3 years and if I've learned anything, it's this:

"I need to be healthy to be able to perform every task of my job effectively and efficiently."

This to me means if I need to close an hour early to make a doctors appointment, a dentist appointment, etc, that's what you need to do!

I'm sure far too many of us neglect going to the OB/GYN annually or getting a mammogram because our job prevents us from doing so! NO IT DOESN'T! Tell these parents that these doctors visits are necessary visits to ensure you are at optimum health to do your job to the best of your ability!

Most people will understand! Heck...we're the one doing the babysitting while they go, they need to do the same!
Tags:hours - changing, hours of operation, hours vary
Reply Up