Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Parent Wants Daycare Right Now
1vs7omg 11:21 AM 02-02-2012
Hi all, I have a question. This happened twice now. I don't have any kids yet, but twice I've received a phone call from a parent saying they need daycare today. They want to start right away. I'm new to the interviewing thing, so it's a little scarry, but by reading so many posts about being paid up front and possibly a deposit, I feel comfortable to tell them that and since it's also in my policy with a full week deposit.

They always tell me they want to start today and will pay me on Friday and I tell them, 'sorry, you need to pay me the full week today', but sometimes I don't mention the deposit due to the fact they give me a look about paying me the first week in advance.

Then, they say 'I'll think about it' and I don't hear from them. I have been reading stuff on this website awhile now and I know thats the way it works. Even my grandson's daycare is set up like that, so why does the parent think differently? Possibly, because it is a home daycare and they are more lenient? I don't know.. very confusing. I am so ready to take kids, but I do want to get paid for it!
Mary Poppins 11:39 AM 02-02-2012
Originally Posted by 1vs7omg:
Hi all, I have a question. This happened twice now. I don't have any kids yet, but twice I've received a phone call from a parent saying they need daycare today. They want to start right away. I'm new to the interviewing thing, so it's a little scarry, but by reading so many posts about being paid up front and possibly a deposit, I feel comfortable to tell them that and since it's also in my policy with a full week deposit.

They always tell me they want to start today and will pay me on Friday and I tell them, 'sorry, you need to pay me the full week today', but sometimes I don't mention the deposit due to the fact they give me a look about paying me the first week in advance.

Then, they say 'I'll think about it' and I don't hear from them. I have been reading stuff on this website awhile now and I know thats the way it works. Even my grandson's daycare is set up like that, so why does the parent think differently? Possibly, because it is a home daycare and they are more lenient? I don't know.. very confusing. I am so ready to take kids, but I do want to get paid for it!
I'm pretty new to dc, too, but I do know that when a parent needs you NOW that is a HUGE RED FLAG. You probably do not want them as clients anyway because they are more than likely skipping out on their last dc and are "hopping around". They seem to target new providers because they think they can "get over" on us.

So I wouldn't sweat it. The right clients will come your way, I promise.
Crazy8 11:47 AM 02-02-2012
why does the parent think differently??? because they think you are an idiot and they will probably skip out on you on friday without paying.
Solandia 11:49 AM 02-02-2012
I have never done same day interviews & start care. Because the assumption is that you will be providing care at the interview/dropoff. NO WAY. It almost forces you to accept them as a client.

Now, I did have a really, really good client interview on a Sunday & start on Monday. They were awesome, always paid on time, the kid was great....but their old daycare lady was closing her daycare...told them on a Fri, and would continue care for 2 wks, "if she had to". At the interview, though..I required the first week's payment immediately, AND prepaid on Fridays....not a flinch, whine or wheedle to be had. Perfect.
Meeko 12:04 PM 02-02-2012
Day care hoppers. They call and demand care NOW! They give a sob story about paying you Friday. They will then do one of the following 9 times out of 10:

"Forget" the money/checkbook and "be right back". You will never see them again.

They will give you a bogus check. They won't show up on Monday.

"Aunt Susan" will be by to pick up the kids as they are stuck at work and will come over and pay you after work...you will never see or hear from them again.

If they ARE looking for day care THAT fast, then it's because they have probably been told not to return to the last day care because of payment/behavior problems.

A lot of the time they don't even want to meet you and they never, ever question the price and agree to whatever you say on the phone. That's because they don't care if you charge $10 per week or $1000 a week. They have no intention of paying either way, so it's not of importance to them.

We get a fair few calls each month. I have a waiting list most of the time, so they don't bother me, but I know they hop from other day cares weekly. They LOVE the new start up providers who are eager to get clients!
SilverSabre25 12:15 PM 02-02-2012
Has happened three times, and has worked out wonderfully twice.

once, the previous provider did something monumentally stupid and the family left them immediately. It happened Saturday, we met Monday, dcb started Tuesday. Wonderful client; word of mouth referral from a friend of mine, proud to call the dcm a friend now.

The other success I still don't know *why* dcm needed care so quickly, but it did turn out very well. Solid client, good mom, single, does her best and has lots of family support.

The failure, was just...miserable. Flaky story in the beginning, odd questions about the contract, cared for dcg for one month and then did a no-show. When I called to find out what was going on they said they wouldn't be back (with another flaky story) and when I reminded them of the two-weeks' notice policy, they refused to pay me. Really oughta get the balls to take them to collections/court for that...
1vs7omg 12:39 PM 02-02-2012
Thank you for all the responses. I guess I will just wait again . I'm wondering though has anyone had to go to court because of parents not paying for daycare?

I know I have in my policy you must pay a deposit for the last two weeks of daycare if you are here or not. But if you have the deposit that is good for one week and if they don't show up, why have the stress of taking them to court? Do you go to court because that's what stated in the policy and do you win? Just questions... I know, I don't even have kids but I guess I like to know what to do if I ever get any and 'what if' that would ever happen

Oh well, if it does, I will just com to this board and ask 'now what'
Cat Herder 12:41 PM 02-02-2012
I am running short on time...but I added a tag "small claims" for you.

It gives links to other threads about court.
Heidi 12:43 PM 02-02-2012
I get a deposit for the last week of care at contract signing (could be in a month, could be in 4 years), and a check for the week at the beginning of each week.

I could still get cheated out of a week's notice, in theory, but most people who give you a deposit and pay you in advance are not the kind of people that will just run off without notice.

I would not waste my time going to court over a week's notice pay, in any case.
sharlan 01:58 PM 02-02-2012
Back when my girls were in daycare, I fired every single provider on a Fri and would have to take Monday off to find new care starting the next day.

Reasons I fired providers (not in order)
#1 - provider got into a fight with dd's teacher and school called me saying they were going to report ME to CPS, over the years, the girls told me all sorts of horror stories that I never knew about
#2 - came home and found an empty 6 pack of beer on my kitchen table
#3 - found out that the provider was locking my 3 kids (ages 3,3, & 5) outside in the front yard all day
#4 - found out teen girl I hired slept all day letting the girls wander the neighborhood
cheerfuldom 02:53 PM 02-02-2012
I dont take families that want to start, sight unseen, and especially ones that immediately have a problem with my contract. I realize that some parents get into bad situations and really do need the help, however, it is not worth taking the risk for me at all. that said, I dont have ANY of the problems with late pays and no pays that other providers talk about here (knock on wood). I have never had a check bounce and never had a payment more than one day late. I interview extensively and have great success being picky with who i accept.
Sunchimes 04:15 PM 02-02-2012
I got my first child that way, and to this day, I don't know why it happened. Mom is a flake and full of entitlement, but the baby is wonderful. Mom has always paid and the flakiness has been minor, no real issue.

I was just starting and had been running ads for months with nothing but a few random "how much do you charge" calls. I didn't know about interviews or paying in advance or paying for full time spots. I had posted an ad on another online site and about 8 pm on a Sunday night, a girl called wanting care for her 6 mo old. She was starting a new job on Monday morning at 5:30 am and needed care. She had been a SAHM the last 6 months (I know this is true, I checked), and I have no idea why she hadn't lined anything up before now. I invited her over to meet me and see the house but she said the baby was already asleep, she'd just see me in a few hours. I told her I didn't even have a bed for her and she said she would loan me a pnp. And I was hired, just like that. I can't imagine leaving a baby for the first time in a house and with a person you had never met. But, it's worked out ok. She's on maternity leave, but before she left, I hit her with a contract, which they signed. I'm still halfway expecting her to dump me before she goes back to work. I won't mind losing the newborn, but that little girl will break my heart. But, it's been broken before and I'll get over it.
jenn 05:02 PM 02-02-2012
I see/hear red flags, bells, and whistles when a family needs immediate care

My experience has been that they have been kicked out of their previous place of care due to behavior, parent issues, or failure to pay.

If a family tells me that their current provider is quiting/downsizing/moving...I ask if I can contact the provider to discuss the schedule and routine the child is used to in order to make their transition easier. This way you can make sure they are really leaving for one of those reasons, not because of behavior or other issues.
MissK 09:28 AM 02-03-2012
Originally Posted by jenn:
I see/hear red flags, bells, and whistles when a family needs immediate care

My experience has been that they have been kicked out of their previous place of care due to behavior, parent issues, or failure to pay.

If a family tells me that their current provider is quiting/downsizing/moving...I ask if I can contact the provider to discuss the schedule and routine the child is used to in order to make their transition easier. This way you can make sure they are really leaving for one of those reasons, not because of behavior or other issues.
I really like that idea. I live in a pretty small town and there are 2 small towns on either side of me. There is an association and people do talk - you really can't get away with much in my neck of the woods...lol
Tags:daycare hoppers, enforcing policies - consistency, payment in advance, payment issues, small claims
Reply Up