Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What do you think of this?
3kidzmama 11:21 PM 01-28-2012
I have a small center and have three assistants (we have 27 kids). I have found that it is extremely difficult to find good, reliable subs when one of my assistants or myself is sick. I have seriously considered starting another business on rhe side, recruiting and providing subs to daycares, both in home and centers. I know schools utilize sub services but there is nothing in my area that provides this service, which I think is greatly needed. It would definitely remove the worry of how to cover the day when someone is sick, and ensure you got someone that had training and experience (which I would provide).
My questions to you would be:
1. Would you be willing to pay a fee for a service such as this?
2. If so, how much do you think is fair? I see two options: either charging Daycares a flat monthly fee regardless of use, or charging them a fee each time they used the service.
Thanks for the input!!
Solandia 01:24 AM 01-29-2012
I had considered the same side biz years ago, and one obstacle I couldn't overcome at the time was insurance, and BK checks I could not find at the time, professional insurance to cover me as a 1099 or contractor. For smaller daycares, they generally they only have a rider on theirhomepwners, if they had insurance at all. Bigger centers have the insurance, and could treat it as a temp employee or 1099... But they didn't have the need.

Then, each daycare that used me would have to have BK/fingerprint check with their licensor, with proof on file that I was an approved backup with CPR, first aid, and education hours required by the state.

While paperwork was extreme, it was the liability/professional insurance that was the deal breaker...again, this was years ago, so it could be different.
Heidi 05:50 AM 01-29-2012
We had a service like that years ago in Madison, but it would be tough now. Each daycare is required to do a background check, so if my sister and I use the same subsitute, we EACH have to run the same background check.

We have a "registry" in WI to track provider education. All regulated providers are required to be a member. It would be SO great if THEY would take care of the background checks, and make it part of the registry. That way, anyone who is a member of the registry and has the proper cert. could automatically qualify as a substitute!

The suggestion has been made, but alas...deaf ears!
beachgrl 08:12 AM 01-30-2012
This is the same issue I am having with getting a sub for my daycare period...the amount of things they must provide just to sub and then having to do a background check for each center is ridiculous. If they are already regularly subbing at one or two centers, they should be able to use one background check as long as it was recent like they should set a certain timeline but at $25 a pop no one seems to want to do that and then needing all the other stuff, I can't get anyone. I get lots of resumes but no follow through on the other stuff.
Ariana 09:32 AM 01-30-2012
I was a regular sub at a few centres and used one Record check for all the centres. They would photocopy it and I always kept the hardcopy. It had to be renewed every 2 years and the centres where I worked paid for it. They also paid for my CPR/First aid courses. I'm not sure why you'd need a new background check for each centre??

It's tough finding supply teachers because of the irregular hours and most people needing a steady income. Supplies were so much in damand when I was doing it that I was working full-time and making more money than a full-time daycare teacher (I got paid in lieu of benefits). There really needs to be an incentive if you want to hold onto good supplies.
Reply Up