Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Miss Sassy Smart Mouth
providerandmomof4 10:52 AM 01-16-2014
I have to check myself. I realize I am dealing with a child and lord knows, my own 6yr old dd has the smartest, sassy mouth around. But I would hope that she isnt talking to adults outside of her family that way.
Anyway, heres the situation. Dcg is 4 and I have to call her down every day for ordering me around, not using her manners, saying rude things etc. Today she is sitting at my kitchen table, shortly after arrival, waitng for breakfast, and says, "everything is dirty here." I said, "excuse me." She looked at me and said, "everything in this house is always so dirty." My jaw dropped! I sent her away from the table and told her that was rude and untrue.
I calmed down and let her return to eat and talked with her about how what she said was hurtful because I spend alot of time cleaning.....yada...she stopped listening.
So whats up? You think she is repeating what she heard? Am I being ultra sensitive today? This dcg is trying my patience with her constant rude comments. Any ideas?
Lucy 11:00 AM 01-16-2014
I think she is definitely parroting. Probably her mom. And maybe mom has even said that your house is dirty. She's probably a compulsive cleaner, and nobody's house would be clean enough to suit her.

Stay on the girl, though. You can't fix what she does at home, but you can sure DEMAND respect at your house!!! That would highly tick me off to have a kid make snide remarks like that! And they would NOT get away with it!!

I've had kids say, "well, we can do (fill in the blank) at MY house." And I say, well, you're not AT your house, you're at MY house, and you can't do it HERE!
melilley 11:04 AM 01-16-2014
Tell her that if she thinks it's so dirty, then she can clean it...lol I wonder what the look on her face would be!

She probably is parroting. I wouldn't worry too much about it, obviously it's not "dirty" enough for her parents to term.

or

She's just a sassy 4 year old who likes to talk.
providerandmomof4 11:09 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I think she is definitely parroting. Probably her mom. And maybe mom has even said that your house is dirty. She's probably a compulsive cleaner, and nobody's house would be clean enough to suit her.

Stay on the girl, though. You can't fix what she does at home, but you can sure DEMAND respect at your house!!! That would highly tick me off to have a kid make snide remarks like that! And they would NOT get away with it!!

I've had kids say, "well, we can do (fill in the blank) at MY house." And I say, well, you're not AT your house, you're at MY house, and you can't do it HERE!
I know her mom is not a clean freak. The dcks arent any too clean and twice I saw a roach crawl out of their bag from home. Now I put their bag ( and everyone elses so I'm not singling them out) in a trash bag thats tied. I dont want roaches...but thats a whole diffetent thread...
Lucy 11:13 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by providerandmomof4:
I know her mom is not a clean freak. The dcks arent any too clean and twice I saw a roach crawl out of their bag from home. Now I put their bag ( and everyone elses so I'm not singling them out) in a trash bag thats tied. I dont want roaches...but thats a whole diffetent thread...
I'll cut the mom slack then. Maybe Mom says things about her OWN house being so dirty, and DCG is parroting that. ??
daycarediva 11:15 AM 01-16-2014
OMG EWWWWWWWWWWW NO BAGS FROM HOME! I have that rule for this reason. (never saw one, but heard they had them)

anyway- I have a dcg with a smart mouth, "I don't have to listen to what you say. You aren't my Mommy." and talks back/calls name to the other kids

I don't give her the satisfaction of getting a rise out of me, which is EXACTLY what she is trying to do.

She gets told "If you can't say nice words, then say no words at all." Seriously, I don't allow her to talk until she can say nice things.

She can think it alllll she wants. I will NOT be spoken to like that.
Reply Up