Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Creating Infant Room, Ideas?
ihop 08:36 AM 03-06-2014
I am running out of space in the main area for my 3 preschoolers and two crawling infants, everyone is in everyone elses space. My home has a very open layout but no division of rooms. The entryway comes into the living room, main play area. Next to the living room is a sort of entryway about 6.5' wide that opens up into another living room area, we use it for meals and nap. Then that has the sink side of the kitchen with another 8' opening. Hope that makes sense. Ideally the entry to my home would be the preschool area and the living area between that and the kitchen would be the infant area.

I'd like to divide it somehow but I am having a hard time finding large enough baby gates that aren't terribly expensive but also have doors on them. Ideas?

Also what would you suggest putting in the infant area? I am limited on wall space since it has the laundry room doors on one side and the. Garage on the other.

ANY advice is appreciated. Because this spacer just isn't working for me anymore,

Thanks!
jenboo 08:48 AM 03-06-2014
I have a 12' summer baby gate. I got it from craigslist for $40.
Sticky mirrors for the walls/doors.
Foam climbers or something similar to climb on.
If there is enough room, a plastic kiddy pool with ball pit balls in it.
big squishy/foam blocks.
melilley 10:12 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have a 12' summer baby gate. I got it from craigslist for $40.
Sticky mirrors for the walls/doors.
Foam climbers or something similar to climb on.
If there is enough room, a plastic kiddy pool with ball pit balls in it.
big squishy/foam blocks.
Where do you get sticky mirrors? Would they be good for a dress up area?
Laurel 10:36 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
I am running out of space in the main area for my 3 preschoolers and two crawling infants, everyone is in everyone elses space. My home has a very open layout but no division of rooms. The entryway comes into the living room, main play area. Next to the living room is a sort of entryway about 6.5' wide that opens up into another living room area, we use it for meals and nap. Then that has the sink side of the kitchen with another 8' opening. Hope that makes sense. Ideally the entry to my home would be the preschool area and the living area between that and the kitchen would be the infant area.

I'd like to divide it somehow but I am having a hard time finding large enough baby gates that aren't terribly expensive but also have doors on them. Ideas?

Also what would you suggest putting in the infant area? I am limited on wall space since it has the laundry room doors on one side and the. Garage on the other.

ANY advice is appreciated. Because this spacer just isn't working for me anymore,

Thanks!
I swear by this gate and have one. http://www.retract-a-gate.com/

It doesn't have a door but it is easy to work with one hand if you are carrying a baby.

I paid about $100 for it years ago but I am retiring in June. If you can wait till then and want it, I will sell it for $25. It is in very good shape. Mine is a beige color. One of the best things I ever bought. Well worth the $100.

Laurel
ihop 10:40 AM 03-06-2014
The biggest issue im having is that one entry is 73"( too big for most gates) and the other is 87". I haven't found anything bigger then 72"
Laurel 10:40 AM 03-06-2014
P.S. I also have a laundry room/garage door and have a child proof mirror attached to it. Also, one of my best purchases ever. I am keeping that though as my grandkids love it.

Laurel
Laurel 10:45 AM 03-06-2014
Originally Posted by ihop:
The biggest issue im having is that one entry is 73"( too big for most gates) and the other is 87". I haven't found anything bigger then 72"
Oh wow, that is wide.

That is a dilemma. Maybe a do-it-yourselfer type person could come to your house and give you ideas. You might have to go with a custom made solution.

I can't visualize your rooms but maybe a half wall between certain rooms would work???

Laurel
missy 07:15 PM 03-07-2014
http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/North-S...undle/14520403

When I needed a really long gate I realized you have to search for "play yards"--they can be used as a long gate as well. I ordered this one, not sure if the total measurements will work for you but wanted to mention it.
cheerfuldom 08:19 PM 03-07-2014
I was going to suggest a large play yard set up for the babies.
Reply Up