Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCB Started Stuttering All of a Sudden
midaycare 04:25 PM 10-22-2015
Dcb is almost 2.5. He used to talk pretty good, but the past 2 months he has acquired a stutter at the beginning of his sentences. Ex. "I I I I I I see the dragon!" "The dragon, the dragon, the dragon, the dragon, the dragon is over there!" Dcb loves dragons ...

Just a stage? Every sentence is like this now.
sahm1225 04:32 PM 10-22-2015
I had a dcb that did this for a little bit. His mouth couldnt keep up with his brain! He was about 4, so I used to tell him to stop, take a deep breath, and start over.
Ariana 04:33 PM 10-22-2015
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
I had a dcb that did this for a little bit. His mouth couldnt keep up with his brain! He was about 4, so I used to tell him to stop, take a deep breath, and start over.
Exactly this! my daughter went through this for about a year. I would always have to tell her to take a deep breath, think about what she wanted to say and then say it.
KiddieCahoots 05:16 PM 10-22-2015
My son did this too.
Like previous posts, just a phase.
I did the same, giving my son ample time to compose his thoughts, without rushing him.
My sons pediatrician said it usually occurs at a time when they are expanding their vocabulary.
daycare 05:53 PM 10-22-2015
I think sometimes kids brains are thinking faster than they have the ability to speak or, they are not getting enough attention at home.

I have had kids do this that are just so excited to talk to me that they felt they needed to try so hard to get in so that they would not lose the opportunity to talk to me.

I talked to the parents and asked them if they could try to create more oportunities for the DCK to talk to them. Maybe ask them what was their favorite thing they did at school that day or in your boys case can you tell me a story about dragons. If he knows he has your undivided attention, he may just not feel the need to have to get it all out so quickly.

I am not saying you don't give him undivided attention, I am just saying that I have noticed this from kids who's parents were not giving them the opportunity to participate in back and forth conversation with their child.

Kind of like those kids that get talked at instead of getting talked to.

I am sure it's just a phase if it's the brain thinking faster than the mouth can keep up with.
nothingwithoutjoy 06:14 PM 10-22-2015
I've seen this before, and like others said, it was a phase when the child's brain was going faster than they could get words out. I just wanted to add that it often helped if I said something like "you don't have to rush...I'm listening," and gave them my full attention until they could get it out.
midaycare 03:53 AM 10-23-2015
Thanks everyone! I feel better about this now
Sugaree 09:55 AM 10-26-2015
My son will be 2.5 in December and I noticed about a month ago that he was doing that. Specifically the I...I...I thing at the beginning of sentences. Everything I've read says that it's probably a stage.
Reply Up