Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:42 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Post 1 Good Thing About Each Of Your Daycare Families

List at least 1 positive thing about each one of your daycare families. Yes, even the ones that you want to disappear into the past.

Family #1 - my eldest daughter - some days, she irritates me to no end - she stands behind me when I need her to, she will watch my daycare kids so that I can escape or leave town early on Friday nights

Family #2 - my youngest daughter - drives me nuts because her kids run the show - will pick up her nephew if she's leaving work early, will take him lunch if his mom forgets it - truly loves her kids and backs me as their provider

Family #3 - my youngest parent, single mom - always paid on time before her aid kicked in, always asks if I was paid each month and stays on top of all paper work, has never left her child if she wasn't at work or school, a truly fantastic parent, comes immediately if called

Family #4 - another single mom, she absolutely drives me nuts, but nothing too serious - has always paid on time (3 years), says "thank you" every day, tries to back me, comes when called for illness

Family #5 - complicated family (alternate between grandma, mom, and dad) - has always picked up on time or called and paid late fee on the spot, always pays on time (2 weeks in advance because that's how it works for them), appreciates all that I do with the kids and frequently says thank you

Family #6 - only married family - always keeps the child home if she's sick, parents work crazy schedules and always keeps the child home if one or the other parent is home
Old 01-21-2015, 08:51 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have 9 parents with 12 kids...All pay good and follow my stringent (as parents call it) contract. Not sure what goes on behind my back nor what is said but it is all good as long as they follow the contract....
Old 01-21-2015, 08:56 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator

I have 19 kids, so I will post the ones that are the hardest for me.

1. Despite dcks behavior, DCP are always open to hear my suggestions about how we can work together to curb the behavior and they always back our rules. They are a fine definition of true balance of career and family.

2. Dck has hard good-byes and DCD took note himself to help dck adjust by implementing a secret hand shake and chest bump. Super funny and it works wonders.

3.My little monster, Her parents are just the sweetest most nicest people on earth. They just need help on helping to put their foot down with their child.

4. DCD, is often rude to all of us because he is a high-powered attorney. He picked me a flower the day of my birthday and rolled up a 100 bill around the stem, which I did not see for 3 days. When I thanked him for it, he said :I know I can be a jerk...............I wanted to hug him.......

5.I finally have all of my parents on board and paying me on time, all of them are wonderful even when they do cause a little headache here and there for me, I know i have it good. I love what I do and I love that I have the families here who help me provide a successful program for our community.

great post shar....we need to focus on the good things, not the bad.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I have 19 kids, so I will post the ones that are the hardest for me.

1. Despite dcks behavior, DCP are always open to hear my suggestions about how we can work together to curb the behavior and they always back our rules. They are a fine definition of true balance of career and family.

2. Dck has hard good-byes and DCD took note himself to help dck adjust by implementing a secret hand shake and chest bump. Super funny and it works wonders.

3.My little monster, Her parents are just the sweetest most nicest people on earth. They just need help on helping to put their foot down with their child.

4. DCD, is often rude to all of us because he is a high-powered attorney. He picked me a flower the day of my birthday and rolled up a 100 bill around the stem, which I did not see for 3 days. When I thanked him for it, he said :I know I can be a jerk...............I wanted to hug him.......

5.I finally have all of my parents on board and paying me on time, all of them are wonderful even when they do cause a little headache here and there for me, I know i have it good. I love what I do and I love that I have the families here who help me provide a successful program for our community.

great post shar....we need to focus on the good things, not the bad.
I am positive that all of our daycare families can find fault with us. They're trying to work and provide for their families just like us. We are no better than our families that we complain about.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 AM

Right now, I only have one parent and one child. But I love pretty much everything about both of them.

The mom pays in full and on time, she arrives on time, she's friendly, she doesn't 'baby' her child. I really love working with the mother.

The child listens, plays quietly, cleans up, takes naps great, I have no problem with the child.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

GREAT THREAD! I could use a dose of positivity!

1. GREAT family, pick up and pay on time. Keep child home if sick (or if they even THINK she's getting sick. I adore them. I have never had an issue with parent or child. They are so understanding of my job/group care. Really appreciative of what I do. Dcg is a DOLL, even looks like one, which is a bonus. I adore her.

2. Challenging kid. Challenging parents. Pick up and pay on time for the most part. They do work with me on kids behavior. They do awesome things that show how much they appreciate me- like tagging my daycare facebook page in a video of him talking to me on days off, or telling his parents something he learned here, etc. I do love the kid to pieces, despite his stubborn streak.

3. New-ish SA child. Awesome kid, take everything you typical hear about SA children and reverse it. Kiddo LOVES to read to the littles. CUTE! Awesome family. Pick up and pay on time. keep kid home when sick. Bring extra things to share if dck has a special day at school, they bring some for the 'little friends', too! Only issue is they forget to call me when kid isn't coming off the bus- it caused a near heart attack and 911 call and they still do it! The bus driver gave me his cell # so I can send him a text, or he will text me now to let me know.

4. LOVE this child. LOVE this family. Professionals, respectful, polite, so appreciative and the child is an absolute GEM. Pick up and pay on time, are extra cautious of her being ill, pick up early and always keep child home when 1 is off. I also suspect child is gifted- she is utterly incredible! I can't wait to watch her grow and see what she will do. Great things, I'm sure. As long as she changes her future occupation from kitty cat!

5. My longest family, been here since I was legally unlicensed after our move to the area. LOVE this child and LOVE this family. Pick up and pay on time. Polite, respectful. The most polite, respectful child I have EVER seen. These parents have 1950's manners. Yes ma'am, no thank you sir. They even have him hand write thank you notes to me if I get him anything or do anything 'special' for him (eg birthday cupcakes). When a 4yo boy picks a weed from his yard, carries it to your door, hands it to you and says "I love you ma'am" with those big brown eyes, your heart WILL melt.

6. This is the child who tells her Mom she is running away to my house. HAHA! Young single Mom who is awesome. Respectful, polite, picks up and pays on time.

7. AWESOME family. My princess dcg, who is really such a sweetie despite her tendency to dramatize. Everyone adores her, she is miss popular. A fight will break out if three people want to sit next to her. LOL! Parents are just awesome. Pick up/pay on time, keep her home if she's sick or if they're off.

8. Great kid, despite delays. He is a cutie! Everyone comments on how adorable he is. Parents pick up/pay on time, and do try to work with me on issues. They respect me/my opinion for the most part.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:41 AM

Family #1 ~ First time parents. Willing to listen and learn from any advice given.

Family #2 ~ Also first time parents. DCM is a former child care center worker. TOTALLY understands the meaning of "group care" and is always respectful about it.

Family #3 ~ BEST family I've had over all in years. Just ideal in many ways.

Family #4 ~ Great family. A little more organic than I am but nothing that can't be managed easily.

Family #5 ~ Nice family. Their DD is great for a laugh every day! Expecting Baby No. 2. Very outdoorsy family that spends a ton time outdoors WITH their child.

Family #6 ~ Young family with 2 kids. Expecting No. 3 any day now. Eager to learn and listen to parenting advice. DCD is always funny at pick up.

Family # 7 ~ Very earthy family but fantastic. DCM is a special ed teacher. They have chickens and collect their own eggs and grow their own veggies and they live in city limits.

Family #8 ~ Another good family. One parent works in health care so they are vigilant about eating well, getting enough sleep and lots of exercise.

Family # 9 ~ Young single mom. Two kids. Working her way out of poverty. Going to school AND working full time. Still maintains a pretty good routine for her kids.

Family #10 ~ Another really young family but another great family. Very involved with their extended family members too. Good kid.

Basically, all my families are awesome. I spend an extraordinary amount of time talking with potential clients so I can learn about their parenting philosophies and beliefs. I think it's important to have some common goals and/or core beliefs as it helps everything flow smoothly and keeps harmony within my group.

I have great lines of communication with all my families and get along well with both sets of parents in all of my family units. They are all respectful and considerate. Everyone understands how their actions affect the others so we operate as one big happy unit most days.

Of course like any relationship there are ups and downs but the downs are always addressed appropriately and with respect and maturity.

Its a pretty good day in the neighborhood around here.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Daycare.com Member

Oh, what a great thread! We could all use some remembering of the positive things about our families!

Family 1~ First full time family, young single mom, DCB is by far my favorite kid. Mom always pays on time, and often times gives me a tip! She always says thank you, and she got me an AMAZING christmas gift!

Family 2~ Moms a teacher, dad works at a bank. Great family, always on time or at least tells me ahead of time if they're going to be late. More than willing to come pick up any reason. Understands that my family is just as important as my job to me

Family 3~SA DCG who comes when school is out. Moms expecting #2 in August. She's funny, and DCG is absolutely hilarious. We didn't stop giggling through our whole interview. She's a former classmate of DH's so she's a bit more of an informal family right now, but she's great about following all of my policies anyways.

Family 4~ Dad is always on time at pick up, and always says thank you. Mom is great about not hovering, even when DCG is crying "Mama" at drop off!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 AM
Daycare.com Member

Family 1 - have had their 3 kids in care and just an all round nice family. When issues do come up and I need to let them know, I know they back me up. Lots of treats at holidays and just because. Very nice family.

Family 2 - one child. Just a nice kid. Dad is respectful of policy and works with me. Keeps child home when sick and if he thinks she's "off" just to make sure.

Family 3 - two kids. play really well with the other kids, are fun. Parents pay on time, pick up on time, and are home on all school vacations/holidays, etc. All around nice family.

Family 4 - One child. Very smart kid, lots of interesting discussions. Parents are new to licensed care so we've had some rough patches, but overall seem to be respectful.

Family 5 - one boy. Very new and one day a week. Mom is a UPK teacher so she gets it Very nice family.

ETA: The very BEST thing about my families is that I get PAID each week. And that paycheck enables me to live in a beautiful home, in a great neighborhood, in a great school district, drive a nice vehicle, pay for my kids lessons and camps, etc. put food on my table, go on vacations (less than one month to WDW!!!!!) Money.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:02 AM
Daycare.com Member

Right now I have a pretty good group! They all pay on time, never bat an eyelash at paying for time not here, for the most part they keep the kids home when sick, they are all understanding of how things need to run around here, they all say thank you every day at pick up
Old 01-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Jack of All Trades

right before the recession,
I had 4 families. One was a military family. The child got kicked out everywhere, but was the BEST behaved kid I had ever had! The parents also picked up kid early and on days they got off and always ASKED if I could do extra hours and offered to pay.
The second was a single mom, who paid on time and was very rarely late dropping off or picking up.
The third was a single dad who knew how to dress that baby for weather, had her fed, changed and bathed for me every morning!
The fourth was a mom of 3 who paid FT for me, but only brought the kids part time. She wanted the spot just in case, but knew how hard it was to find child care for 3 kids on a drop in basis, and respected the business of being in child care.

I had a few other good parents along the way too.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

Right now I have 4 families. They all pay on time, pick up on time, and follow my policies. I can't complain about any of them!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:27 PM
Daycare.com Member

Family 1: Been with me since the beginning and put up with my adjustments made while learning about policies and whatnot. Pays me extra at times as a bonus. Always is willing to communicate respectfully when we have any issues which has allowed us to work through a lot of bumps in the road.

Family 2: First time parents but ask for advice and listen. Always thank me for my time. Asks to pick up early at least once a week.

Family 3: Single parent with a wonderful child. Never have had to remind her about policies or supplies. She always is so polite!

I've had small issues here and there but overall I'm very happy with my current families and I make sure to let them know that I appreciate them! So nice not to feel stressed out by terribly behaved kids or parents this year!
Old 01-21-2015, 12:46 PM
FCC Educator

Right now I have 2 families.

One is leaving, and that's the best I can come up with for them....sorry, Debbie Downer packing it up now

The other family I love! Dcg is a sweet heart and I adore her! She is smart as a whip! I'm going to have to be strong when she leaves me for K.
Like every day care situation there are occasional small bumps, but overall this family has given me hope for future day care clients. They are the nicest, easiest going family, I'm currently on the search for more like them, and without jinxing it, I believe I may have found some
Old 01-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm very lucky right now with really great families, so this is easy.
Anyway.
Family # 1. My first daycare family when I started 4 years ago is leaving on Friday. I've had 2 of their kids in that time. The last one turns 3 this week and heads off to PPCD on Monday. I am very sad. The parents have always been very casual and laid back about things. One falls and has a big bump, they shrug and say, "Things happen when they are learning to walk." DCB has some severe delays. I took over his therapy, I tell mom what we need or what I think we should try, and she ponders it then we do it. Never once have they questioned anything I've done for these kids. They walk in the door and hand me their kids and their complete trust.

Family #2 This one came to me at 11 months with some severe disabilities. A year and a half later, you can almost not tell anything was wrong, except for his speech. Mom was upset that he might have to leave here in the fall to head off to PPCD. We are getting more information that indicates that he may not qualify for PPCD and will get to stay with me another year, maybe 2. Mom could send him to (free) PPCD instead of paying me each week, but she's doing her best to arrange for him to stay here with me. Again, trust.

Family #3 Micro-preemie came to me weighting 7 pounds at 5 mo (2 months adjusted), 1 month out of NICU. Mom handed her to me and went back to work, tearfully, but knowing she could trust me. We are having a particularly rough patch with her right now (at 10 months-7 months adjusted) she still only weights less than 12 pounds. But mom considers me part of the baby's team. She says we are raising this baby together.

I guess that while all of my families pay on time, pick up mostly on time (which is ok with me), etc, the part that means the most about each of them is the complete trust they have in me. I can't begin to tell you how much it means to me.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

1- They always pay on time. Dcm brings me coffee once a week at pickup

2- They are wonderful hard working people. They love their children and they value me.

3- They say thank you.

4- They are truly doing the best they can in a terrible situation (too long, detailed and personal to get into but they have it rough)

5- divorced parents - great at communication. Are consistent and hold their son to a high standard.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 PM
Unregistered

They all pick up their children at the end of the day.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Daycare.com Member

My longest family has been great at paying me in time lately even when things come up. My other family has been great at paying me 2 to 3 weeks in advance.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I am positive that all of our daycare families can find fault with us. They're trying to work and provide for their families just like us. We are no better than our families that we complain about.
So very very true. I know my dcps have lots on their plate, each and every day. I couldn't imagine keeping it together. But my families seem to. They're easy to talk to, they pay on time and apologize profusely if they don't, they pick up on time and if they're a few minutes late I know it's because they had no choice. They're more than understanding if I have to close early. They appreciate and respect what I do. They all, more or less, seem to be on the same page as I am with their child. If an issue does come up about their child, they work on it home so we feel like a team.

Oh wow, just had one of my dcms call me to let me know she's stopping by to drop something off on my doorstep because I've been sick. I almost cried.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:17 PM
mac n peas

1-always goes the extra mile to keep DCB home when sick
2-always open to suggestion and tell others nice things
3-always say thank you
4-a friend and always keeps DCG home when at all possible
5-always respond to issues right away and follow policies to a T
Old 01-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

My clients are all pretty good.
1. Pays a month in advance and keeps the child home or with grandparents a few times a month even though tuition is the same.
2. Really values my opinion when it comes to her child.
3. Really values my program and what I do with her child. Sends me nice texts full of encouragement.
4. Follows my policies and doesn't ask for special.
5. Is always giving out referrals to my daycare.

Actually as I'm looking over this some of the things apply to all of my clients.
Old 01-22-2015, 12:45 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Great post!

Both of my families are awesome! I've been really fortunate w/ good families. They've all followed my policies and paid on time.

Family 1: Dcm shows that she appreciates me through saying thanks and asking how my day was. Both her and her sister(first dcf when I opened) recommend me to their friends, offering to write references if ever I need them. Dcb3 loves playing with the other children. He greets and says good bye to everyone everyday. It's so sweet.

Family 2: They have their kids on a schedule and see me as a partner in their children's development. Dcd works nights and sleeps while the kids are with me. He does all the pickups/dropoffs. But always says if I have any problems to give him a call. Dcb3 is smart as a whip. He knows all of his colors, numbers, letters, etc. He is always asking good questions to learn about the world around him. Dcb3months is a laid back, happy baby! It's easy to know what he needs/wants reg. bottles, naps, and diaper changes. He takes in everything around him, watching the other kids intently.