Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Who Thought It Was A Good Idea To Make Skinny Jeans For Toddlers?
daycare 01:34 PM 06-24-2013
UGH!!!

I have a DCG that is trying to potty train. Yes, I do work on Potty training the kids a little different than the most of you. I start it here and parents jump on board with me.

I have a DCF that can't seem to understand that SKINNY JEANS are not ok for Potty training. I have asked on numerous occasions to have the child attend in clothing that is easy to manage for the CHILD. They also send the child in clothing that is way too small.

THe child is very larger for their age and I don't know how to word to the family sorry your child is not a size 2, they are a size 4+....

Help on how to word it that I need clothing that FIT. If I can't remove it, then how can the child.... I know that this family may get uneasy about me saying this and take it the wrong way....DCM is quite childish at times.

The child is responding to PT really well, is telling me that they have to go and it's one less diaper I have to change, so I don't want this one silly thing holding me up....
countrymom 01:55 PM 06-24-2013
you know what I did, I put on a pair of stretchy yoga pants on here and handed mom the pants back. Have you seen how kids can't even play in them, heck they can't even bend in them. totally ridiculous.
daycare 02:03 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
you know what I did, I put on a pair of stretchy yoga pants on here and handed mom the pants back. Have you seen how kids can't even play in them, heck they can't even bend in them. totally ridiculous.
OMG it took me and my asst to get them off. We were laughing so hard I almost pee my pants.

The problem is that even the little yoga pants are too small for DCK.
daycarediva 02:14 PM 06-24-2013
I would purchase some clothes that fit (tax write off) and leave them at your house. Just change dck on arrival/first potty of the day and last potty of the day/before they leave back into too small/too tight clothes.

I have a 2yo in skinny jeans, only she is so SKINNY, they fit like regular jeans.
daycare 02:36 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I would purchase some clothes that fit (tax write off) and leave them at your house. Just change dck on arrival/first potty of the day and last potty of the day/before they leave back into too small/too tight clothes.

I have a 2yo in skinny jeans, only she is so SKINNY, they fit like regular jeans.
yeah I went that route a few weeks ago, but because DCP pick up at different times, the clothing went home and never came back....

I just want to say please stop putting your child in clothing two sizes too small
Childminder 02:43 PM 06-24-2013
I agree with that, the poor little ones can't even bend over. I
strip them off the kids at first potty and they are in diapers or panties the rest of the day during summer. When it's cold I have extra sweat pants to put on.

One mom thinks nothing of purchasing designer clothes and shoes for her girl and then gets upset when she comes in to find them caked with mud (Oh my, did I say to play in that puddle?). Come on people they will get dirty, spend the $80 on her shoes is ridiculous! She is TWO!
countrymom 02:46 PM 06-24-2013
I thought i was the only one who can't them off of kids, and then I can't them back on because they are so narrow, its acually quite funny. Its like those jeans where you need to lay on your bed to put on, well try putting them on someone else.
MarinaVanessa 02:54 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
yeah I went that route a few weeks ago, but because DCP pick up at different times, the clothing went home and never came back....

I just want to say please stop putting your child in clothing two sizes too small
Buy the clothes, start putting the child in them as soon as they walk in the door (preferably while DCP is there) but don't bring up the WHY unless the parent does, put their "too tight" clothes in their cubby, as soon as DCP arrives at pick up remove your pants and hand the DCP the too tight pants. They want them on, they can put them on.

DON'T let DCP's take the extra clothes with them. I buy the $5 Circo khaki shorts (sometimes you can get them 2 for $5) and some plain white T-shirts from Target just for this purpose. They are unisex so it makes it easier. If DCP wants to take them home they give me $5 per piece and when they return my clothes they get their money back. If they don't want to pay take the clothes off, don't let them walk out the door.

I have sent DCK's home bottomless (with only a diaper) and have no problem doing so. I mean really, if the DCP isn't going to cooperate because they don't feel that your requests are important enough then I'm not going to feel bad making my own accommodations to make my life easier and I will not think twice about making their life easier ... not in the least.

Also, have you tried explaining to DCM what your definition of "fit" is. She may very well have her own definition of it so unless you make it crystal clear what is not appropriate (clothing that is too small, no skinny jeans or any type of denim for that matter, no clothing with zippers or snaps unless the child can unfasten them herself, no overalls, no pants with snaps at the crotch etc) and what is (size 4T pants, leggings that have a lot of stretch, stretchy shorts, bottoms with elastic, swaets etc) then you might keep having this tug of war continue. Good luck!!
daycare 03:02 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Buy the clothes, start putting the child in them as soon as they walk in the door (preferably while DCP is there) but don't bring up the WHY unless the parent does, put their "too tight" clothes in their cubby, as soon as DCP arrives at pick up remove your pants and hand the DCP the too tight pants. They want them on, they can put them on.

DON'T let DCP's take the extra clothes with them. I buy the $5 Circo khaki shorts (sometimes you can get them 2 for $5) and some plain white T-shirts from Target just for this purpose. They are unisex so it makes it easier. If DCP wants to take them home they give me $5 per piece and when they return my clothes they get their money back. If they don't want to pay take the clothes off, don't let them walk out the door.

I have sent DCK's home bottomless (with only a diaper) and have no problem doing so. I mean really, if the DCP isn't going to cooperate because they don't feel that your requests are important enough then I'm not going to feel bad making my own accommodations to make my life easier and I will not think twice about making their life easier ... not in the least.

Also, have you tried explaining to DCM what your definition of "fit" is. She may very well have her own definition of it so unless you make it crystal clear what is not appropriate (clothing that is too small, no skinny jeans or any type of denim for that matter, no clothing with zippers or snaps unless the child can unfasten them herself, no overalls, no pants with snaps at the crotch etc) and what is (size 4T pants, leggings that have a lot of stretch, stretchy shorts, bottoms with elastic, swaets etc) then you might keep having this tug of war continue. Good luck!!
I have done everything but what you have said to do about making it noticeable that I am having to change her clothing. Again like I said, many time the parents pick up before their pick up time if they get off work early, so I don't get a chance to change her. THe kids have HORRIBLE behavior when DCP are here so I would hate to even think about having to ask DCP to change Dck or me have to do it with them here.

I have told them in several ways what kind of clothing I WANT in order to PT, but I don't get them.....I think I will just have DCK go without pants and when parents get here they can quickly put them back on.....
TheGoodLife 05:02 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have done everything but what you have said to do about making it noticeable that I am having to change her clothing. Again like I said, many time the parents pick up before their pick up time if they get off work early, so I don't get a chance to change her. THe kids have HORRIBLE behavior when DCP are here so I would hate to even think about having to ask DCP to change Dck or me have to do it with them here.

I have told them in several ways what kind of clothing I WANT in order to PT, but I don't get them.....I think I will just have DCK go without pants and when parents get here they can quickly put them back on.....
I was going to say what MarinaVanessa did- do the changing in front of them AND I'd send one more letter home with the SPECIFIC requirements as well as a note that if the DCK doesn't have correct fitting clothes you will put them in your own personal clothes that MUST be changed out of before they leave. If they do take your clothes it will be a $5 a day rental fee added to their regular tuition. Have them sign it so you have record of the rental fee. (That was a LOT of all cap words ) potty training is a big deal and very important, it's the least parents can do to bring kids in appropriate clothing.
Starburst 05:10 PM 06-24-2013
I would just tell them DCB is not properly dressed for daycare and that he cannot join in daycare until he has daycare/potty training appropriate clothing. I would also just add it to your policies (either under dress code or potty training) that skinny jeans are not allowed for children who are potty training; or not allowed period, if it's difficult for your other children to play in them {that can be a distraction for learning if it gets in the way of activities}.
daycare 05:22 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
I would just tell them DCB is not properly dressed for daycare and that he cannot join in daycare until he has daycare/potty training appropriate clothing. I would also just add it to your policies (either under dress code or potty training) that skinny jeans are not allowed for children who are potty training; or not allowed period, if it's difficult for your other children to play in them {that can be a distraction for learning if it gets in the way of activities}.
lol I will hve to add them to the list.

I am going to do as you are saying...I will just have to send them away or make DCP dress them in correct attire when they get here. I just don't really even want to allow the changing of the clothing to occur here. The parents DO NOT mind the child and I pretty much get them out the door as fast as I can.

thanks for all of your input and advice. I hate skinny jeans
daycare 05:23 PM 06-24-2013
oh and the I think I will do the $$ thing.

Basically if they don't return them within $48 hours washed, I will charge them $10.00 for each pair of pants/shorts they keep past that time.
blandino 08:56 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

This was going to be my suggestion. I would just have her walking around bottomless (in her underwear/training pants/ pull-up) when DCP come. And very nicely say, she had trouble using the toilet in those pants and I definitely didn't want them to stop her progress.

I have done that many times. I had a DCG whose parents were still sending her in onesies when we started to PT her. I would either take them off and put them in her cubbie each day, or just leave the snaps undone and the bottom open. And each day I would say "she wasn't able to use the bathroom with it snapped". They got it pretty quickly.
Kaddidle Care 04:53 AM 06-25-2013
Perhaps they're not "skinny jeans" but it's just that the wee one is a chunky monkey? Either way I would stress to the parent that easy, elastic waist shorts/pants are the way to go for potty training. Let Mom know that the chances of picking up her wee one with a bag of pee soaked pants are much higher when the child cannot remove her pants quickly for potty time. Parents are much more motivated to comply when they realize they will have less chance of a mess to clean up when they get home.

I've never been one for "fashion". Comfort and function is the name of the game.
Crystal 07:11 AM 06-25-2013
Why not just TELL the parent? I wouldn't buy extra clothes or go to the trouble of changing her. I would TELL the parent to bring her in manageable clothing or I would no longer be able to assist with potty training. Just TELL them, don't ask, TELL!!!!!
daycare 07:37 AM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Why not just TELL the parent? I wouldn't buy extra clothes or go to the trouble of changing her. I would TELL the parent to bring her in manageable clothing or I would no longer be able to assist with potty training. Just TELL them, don't ask, TELL!!!!!
I have TOLD them exactly what to bring. Gave them a list...BUT I have 14 kids, and if that is one less diaper I have to change, then so be it. The child is almost there, I would hate to stop now just because of the clothing.

AND yes they are skinny jeans. they are super cute, but not for a toddler.....lol
Tags:appropriate clothing, jeans, potty training, skinny jeans, toddlers
Reply Up