Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training
CountryRoads 09:51 AM 11-26-2018
I'm curious what your thoughts are on potty training?
Do you feel it is more the parent's responsibility? Your responsibility?
I have a 2.5 dcb who got sent in underwear. Mom says he used the potty the past 2 days. He has never shown an interest here, so it surprised me.
Sure enough, he had an accident. Not a big one, but enough that I put his underwear in the washer.
My policy states that potty training is the parent's responsibility, and that once they are potty trained at home, I will assist here.
Is that unfair? I don't think it's my job to potty train, but this child is here 5 days a week. Should it be 50/50? He knows where the potty is and I tell him to use it if he has to go or to tell me. He's never used it and always goes in his pull-up. I don't ask him or take him to the potty to sit on it for a period of time.
Thoughts?
Ariana 10:15 AM 11-26-2018
He would not have been allowed into my care without pullups. Two days of parents bringing him to the toilet every 15 minutes does not mean he is trained.

I always tell parents to wait until a vacation period where they will be home for an extended period to begin potty training. Once the kid has been successful at home for a week they can start here WITH pullups. I will then determine whether or not the child can go without pullups.

My last potty training problem was with a family that came in with kid in undies announcing they started potty training YESTERDAY I explained my policy, immediately put him in a pullup and got them to bring me pullups the next day. He never once asked to go and was terrified of the toilet. Turns out he was only using a potty in the middle of the living room. Again I had to explain that I do not use potty’s for sanitary reasons and that they now needed to train him on the toilet. The whole thing was a disaster because they never once chatted with me about any of it so I could guide them.
Mike 11:25 AM 11-26-2018
Pullups until YOU see that they are not needed any more.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 11-26-2018
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
I'm curious what your thoughts are on potty training?
Do you feel it is more the parent's responsibility? Your responsibility?
I have a 2.5 dcb who got sent in underwear. Mom says he used the potty the past 2 days. He has never shown an interest here, so it surprised me.
Sure enough, he had an accident. Not a big one, but enough that I put his underwear in the washer.
My policy states that potty training is the parent's responsibility, and that once they are potty trained at home, I will assist here.
Is that unfair? I don't think it's my job to potty train, but this child is here 5 days a week. Should it be 50/50? He knows where the potty is and I tell him to use it if he has to go or to tell me. He's never used it and always goes in his pull-up. I don't ask him or take him to the potty to sit on it for a period of time.
Thoughts?
I've approached this subject in many different ways over the years with mixed feelings but the method I use now is the LEAST stressful and the most supportive parent's that believe they know their child best.

I believe the parent. Always.

If the parent says the child uses the bathroom at home without assistance then they can certainly wear underwear here. I'll welcome them in the door happily and share in celebrating this milestone.

Of course with newly learned skills comes responsibility and since I can't very well ask a child to shampoo my carpets should they have an accident the parents will need to leave me a $300 CASH deposit when they utter the words "He/She is wearing underwear".

If they are so sure their child is completely potty trained, they should have no issue putting their money where their mouth is.

If after 2 weeks the child has not had an accident, I will return the money.

If they don't have that kind of confidence in their child's abilities then the child needs to be in Pull-ups or diapers.
Jupadia 12:46 PM 11-26-2018
I wont train for parents but will assist.

I will take their child to the washroom, while doing they regular diaper changes place child on toliet. (About ever 2 to 2.5 hours). Once the child is asking me to go I'll take them and help them out. But underwater are not allowed till child can pull them up and down themselves. They also have to be regularly dry in their pull up / diapers before I'm willing to make switch. Then if the child stays ascendant free they may wear their underwear. If something happens and child peed we switch back to pullup for a bit . I refuse to clean up puddles all day.
On that note anyone want to train my 2 year for me.
CountryRoads 01:28 PM 11-26-2018
Thank you all for your input!
I'm glad I put him back in pull-ups. About an hour after I put him in one, he was soaked.
He also woke up from nap wet, too. I put him in undies after nap to give it one more shot. I let dcm know he had an accident and she said she hoped he would do good and she's glad she packed pull-ups. I'm hoping she doesn't send him in undies tomorrow.
Cat Herder 04:51 PM 11-26-2018
This is my handout. Feel free to copy, paste and edit.

Toilet (Potty) Training Checklist

Is your child ready to be Potty Trained? Check those that apply to your child.

_____Follows simple directions.
_____Remains dry for at least 2 hours at a time during the day.
_____Dry after nap time.
_____Regular and predictable bowel movements. (some may have bowel movements
every day and some may have them less frequently)
_____Walks to and from the bathroom, pulls down own pants and pulls them up again
_____Seems uncomfortable with soiled or wet diapers
_____Seems interested in the toilet.
_____Has asked to wear grown-up underwear.

If the child has most of the skills marked, you can assume the child is ready to start potty training.
Potty training may best be accomplished by starting at home first and then at child care.
If the child does not have most of the skills marked then wait a few weeks or months and
refer to the checklist again.

Toilet training is much easier if the child is truly ready to master this skill;
To try to be consistent in the Potty training process, please share with me some information
about your child’s and family’s preferences in this process:

1. What words or gestures does your family use for:
Body parts?

Urine?

Bowel movements?

2. What strategies have been tried at home? (Example: reading books, aiming at
Cheerios, trying on big kid underwear, sitting on potty,)

3. Does you child have a special need or circumstance that needs to be taken into consideration?

• A calm easygoing approach works best.
• Toilet training involves many steps (discussing, undressing, going, wiping, dressing, flushing,
hand washing) reinforce the child’s success at each step.
• Help children recognize when they are urinating or have a bowel movement. They must be
aware of what they are doing before they can do anything about it.
• Children should be shown how to use the toilet by watching other children who are trained or
discussing each step and practicing each step without actually using the toilet. (Example:
have the child sit on toilet dressed, flushing toilet).
• Included toilet training into the daily routine such as reading books, songs, and games that
reinforce the skills needed to toilet train.
• Dress children in easy to remove clothing to help children be successful in undressing and
dressing.
• When a child is giving the signs of having to use the toilet or tells you they have to use the toilet,
take the child in and help undress them and on to the toilet. Sit by the child for a few minutes.
Try not to push for immediate results. After a few minutes, help the child with the rest of the
routine and give praise for the effort or any successes they had.

• Try to encourage going to the potty after meals or snacks. This is the time they may actually need to go.
• Never force a child to sit on the toilet against their will or for long periods of time if they do not
want to. This could set up a power struggle and negative feeling toward the toilet training.
• Never punish for accidents. Occasional accidents are normal. Clean and change the child immediately.
Be positive and reassuring that they will be successful. Punishment does not make the process go
faster and may delay it.

Potty Training is a big skill to learn. Be patient. Let the child decide when he/she is ready.
If you do, the child will most likely be trained in a very short period of time.
However, nighttime dryness may take an additional six months to a year.
Setbacks are common and should be expected. This does not necessarily mean failure.
The child may be taking a temporary step back to a more comfortable place, which helps
support later progress.

I will assist and enforce what you are doing at home to include taking them to the potty hourly
during waking hours and every time the child verbally asks. I will not, however, allow cloth
undergarments during this time. Until your child is able to tell me they need to “potty” with
enough notice to get to the bathroom AND stay completely dry for two weeks in group child care,
I require them to be in diapers or pull-ups.
Cat Herder 04:52 PM 11-26-2018
I don't know why that post went wonky wide. I don't know how I could have caused it or how to fix it (I did try). Sorry.
storybookending 07:37 PM 11-26-2018
CH I assume it is the lines you used under the questions being so long and unable to be broken up that are making it go so wide.

Thank you for sharing what you use. I have been thinking of writing up something similar as I’m getting the hang of this potty training at home/daycare thing now that I’m in my third year and have seen it first hand.
Tags:potty training, potty training advice, potty training policy
Reply Up