Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snack
Unregistered 05:19 PM 07-26-2019
If a dck leaves before snack, do you give them snack?
rosieteddy 05:27 PM 07-26-2019
Nope, but I wouldn't have it in sight either.
Unregistered 05:33 PM 07-26-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
Nope, but I wouldn't have it in sight either.
I've tried that and sometimes they stand around and wait.
e.j. 06:43 PM 07-26-2019
It depends on the situation. Sometimes I'll offer to pack a snack if what I'm serving can be eaten out of a Ziploc baggie and the parent wasn't expecting to have to pick up early. Sometimes I won't offer a snack, especially if the parent knew the child was being picked up before snack time and should have packed a snack or if I haven't started to prepare snack yet. Sometimes if the snack is already out on the counter and the child has seen it, I'll pack a baggie to avoid the meltdown I know will come if I don't. Those times are few and far between but it's worth it to me to pack up a few Gold Fish and head it off at the pass rather than watch a parent/child battle of wills go down in my kitchen. I do whatever makes the most sense to me at the time.
springv 07:32 PM 07-26-2019
We have to offer afternoon snack because we are on the food program and if a child leaves before snack (which can be served at 1:30) we don't count them and out it back as extra which can be used for morning snack which is not counted in the food program and if they leave during snack we give them their snack to take with them
Cat Herder 05:24 AM 07-27-2019
I send it with them unless I had no notice they were leaving early. I have no one enrolled that leaves that early.

If I don't send it, I lose the write-off and parents tend to appreciate it unless it is something super messy.
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 07-27-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I've tried that and sometimes they stand around and wait.
I have a policy in my meals and snack section of my handbook that says kids must be present and seated at the time of meal/snack in order to get any meal/snack.

I list the specific time each meal/snack is served.

If parents arrive during that time they can wait until child is finished eating.

If they arrive before child is seated they take child without meal/snack.

I do not allow any food to go out or come into to care.

Makes things super easy as it’s simple to understand and 99.9% of my parents will wait to arrive until after a scheduled meal/snack if they need to pick up close to that time.
trix23 02:39 PM 07-27-2019
i serve snacks promptly at the times listed in my schedule. if they leave before that time, then no snack. if parents arrive after it's been served, they can wait til we are done and take their child home. i don't send snacks home.

i feel that if you cater to anything other than this that they will expect it each time. i try to run my program like how a school does (they don't serve food outside of their mealtime hours).
AmyKidsCo 01:21 PM 07-31-2019
If they're sitting at the table with food in front of them I offer to put the food in a baggie to send home. Otherwise they sit there forever nibbling on the last pretzel while the parent stands there watching and the other kids act up for attention.

If we haven't started snack or the food isn't out yet I tell them they'll get a snack at home.
Tags:afternoon snack, afternoon snack time
Reply Up