Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Not Following Contract, WWYD?
Christophina 09:50 AM 12-27-2010
Here's my situation: I have one dck and she just started the end of November. She pays $100/week. In the beginning of December, I had to go out of town for 3 days for a funeral. Out of kindness, I refunded her for those 3 days since it was last minute and I felt bad because she had just started her new job and had to call out. Last week, my family came down with the stomach flu and I had to close for two days (Wednesday and Thursday). I was supposed to be closed on Friday but out of the goodness of my heart, I took care of her anyway. Today she comes in with a check for $60, $40 short. I am assuming that she thinks she doesn't have to pay for the two days I was closed. Here's what my contract says:

"I want to provide the best possible care for your child. In order for me to do this, I must remain in good health both physically and emotionally. Therefore, the following days will be observed as paid holidays:

*New Years Eve and New Years Day
*Memorial Day
*Fourth of July
*Thanksgiving and the Friday following
* Christmas Eve and Christmas Day

If one of these afore mentioned holidays falls on a Saturday or Sunday, I reserve the right to observe the Friday prior or the Monday following as a paid holiday.

I will also be taking 10 days paid vacation per year. I will give you at least 30 days notice as to when my vacation will start. I am also entitled to five days paid sick leave per year. This can be taken all at once or spread out throughout the year."

She initialed the page. Should I insist that she pays me the other $40? I know it's been crazy with the holidays and being sick and everything, but I feel like this isn't fair to me. I know she is planning on coming on Friday, too. I am afraid that she will stop coming and I really can't afford to have that happen. What should I do????
marniewon 09:59 AM 12-27-2010
I would let her know that she still owes you the $40. If she questions why you took the money off for the funeral, but aren't for when you were sick, you can tell her that you didn't choose to use your paid sick days for the funeral, but you are for last week when you were sick. Also, if you are closed on Friday, let her know that you are closed and don't back down. This is not meant to be harsh, just fact: If you don't follow your policies, why would the parents follow them?
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 12-27-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
This is not meant to be harsh, just fact: If you don't follow your policies, why would the parents follow them?
This is the best piece of advice any childcare provider could give and/or take!!
Christophina 03:01 PM 12-28-2010
Well, I sent home a copy of the page of my contract that mom initialed yesterday and politely asked dad to read over it with mom and that she may have misunderstood what it said. He said something along the lines of "with everything going on, she probably was confused." Dad said this morning that mom would bring me a check tomorrow for the remaining $40, that they had to wait for another paycheck or something. Then today at pickup, Mom says "girl is going to her grandma's house tomorrow, so she won't be here. But we will still pay you for the week." So much for getting my check tomorrow... something seems fishy to me. I think they are going to pull her.
Live and Learn 03:23 PM 12-28-2010
I have my parents pay at the first of the month. this has solved problems like this.
MarinaVanessa 05:13 PM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
I have my parents pay at the first of the month. this has solved problems like this.
Similar with me but I charge weekly instead of monthly for care in advance.
DCMomOf3 06:23 PM 12-28-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
This is not meant to be harsh, just fact: If you don't follow your policies, why would the parents follow them?
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is the best piece of advice any childcare provider could give and/or take!!
i quite agree.
Daycare_Mama 05:20 PM 12-29-2010
I would just politely tell her that she owes you another $40.

She may have figured she didn't owe because you didn't make her pay for the days you took off for the funeral or she may not know that you are using some of your 5 sick days for that week.

I don't know how you do it, but I have 3 sick days per year and if I had a family start in November of this year, I would have already used up my sick days earlier this year. She may just not know that you are using those days as paid sick days unless you tell her.

This is why I'm getting rid of paid sick days and just adding in extra paid holidays instead.
Christophina 04:55 AM 12-31-2010
Well I got the $40, and her two weeks notice. I am back to not having any daycare kids again. This sucks.
nikia 05:06 AM 12-31-2010
Oh I'm sorry that happened to you. Was it because of the 40? Or because grandma is free? Hope you can fill some spots quickly.
Blackcat31 02:44 PM 12-31-2010
Sorry to hear that.....be patient and things will turn around. Just don't make the mistake of changing the policies and contracts you've already put alot of thought into just to lure clients in and then find you are unhappy with the changes.....I've heard of so many providers who give deals or breaks or make exceptions because they are worried about not having enough kids and then are sorry later...stick to your guns and things will look up....Good luck
Live and Learn 04:25 PM 12-31-2010
Christophino,
I am sorry about your client quitting.
I would like to make a suggestion....in the future have your clients pay before services and really, really keep sick days to a minimum. I know some people just get sick more than others but to be honest I can almost see the parents viewpoint in this case....from her point of view you have only provided service for a month and have already taken 5 unscheduled days off. Don't be mad at me for saying this but in six years I have only closed one day due to my own or family's illness, two days for a very close family members out of town funeral, and one day when one of my own children was hospitalized. I don't know how long you have been doing this biz but I know that daycare parents HATE unscheduled closures...... Maybe you have been doing this biz for years and years and years. I don't know. If you have maybe this past month has been just a combination of bad luck. If you are just starting out take my advice keep those unscheduled days off to a minimum if at all possible. Find a sub to cover for you if you are the type of person who tends to get sick often. By the way in this situation I feel like it was completely fair to get your $40.
Good luck to you and your family.
Christophina 05:43 AM 01-03-2011
Originally Posted by nikia:
Oh I'm sorry that happened to you. Was it because of the 40? Or because grandma is free? Hope you can fill some spots quickly.
She said it is because she wants to go back to being a stay at home mom. I almost believe her. She is really close with her kid.

Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Christophino,
I am sorry about your client quitting.
I would like to make a suggestion....in the future have your clients pay before services and really, really keep sick days to a minimum. I know some people just get sick more than others but to be honest I can almost see the parents viewpoint in this case....from her point of view you have only provided service for a month and have already taken 5 unscheduled days off. Don't be mad at me for saying this but in six years I have only closed one day due to my own or family's illness, two days for a very close family members out of town funeral, and one day when one of my own children was hospitalized. I don't know how long you have been doing this biz but I know that daycare parents HATE unscheduled closures...... Maybe you have been doing this biz for years and years and years. I don't know. If you have maybe this past month has been just a combination of bad luck. If you are just starting out take my advice keep those unscheduled days off to a minimum if at all possible. Find a sub to cover for you if you are the type of person who tends to get sick often. By the way in this situation I feel like it was completely fair to get your $40.
Good luck to you and your family.
Thanks. I actually do make my clients pay ahead of time. They pay Monday morning for the week. As far as the sick days, I actually gave her the option of coming or not. I told her "my children have the stomach flu and I am getting over it so use your discretion whether to bring your child or not." She chose not. So, technically they aren't even sick days! It is definitely a combination of bad luck though. I don't call out. Hell, I gave birth on a Sunday morning and was back to daycare on Monday without taking a sick day!! But thank you for the advice and well wishes.
Tags:contract, paid holidays
Reply Up