Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Raise Your Rates?
DanceMom 01:13 PM 03-04-2010
Hi - new to the site. Ive been a provider for almost 3 years. I have never raised my rates but am thinking of doing so this year in May. I was thinking 3-4% increase to each family.

Have you increased your rates each year ?

How much have you increased ?

What is the feedback you get from the parents for doing so ? They accept it? Bitch about it ?

Thanks
Michael 03:47 PM 03-04-2010
Welcome Heather!
momma2girls 04:29 PM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by Heather:
Hi - new to the site. Ive been a provider for almost 3 years. I have never raised my rates but am thinking of doing so this year in May. I was thinking 3-4% increase to each family.

What is the feedback you get from the parents for doing so ? They accept it? Bitch about it ?

Thanks
Welcome!!
I haven't raised my rates in over 3 yrs. now. I was thinking about it this yr. in Jan. but will wait til next yr. in Jan. to do it. I will probably do just a $5.00 per week.
momofboys 05:48 PM 03-04-2010
Originally Posted by Heather:

Thanks
Hi! Welcome! I have only been a provider for about 8 months & I did raise rates slightly for one client & she didn't seem to mind at all; never said a word & is still as friendly as ever w/me. My circumstance is a little different though. I raised rates just for her son for B & A school care. Initially when I began care for her she told me her husband would be driving her son to school so I'd only have him after school & rarely before. However, that never happened. Anyway, so I called her on it, a little late, but better than never & said I would raise rates to more properly reflect both timeframes of care. She did not seem to mind. She knew she was getting a steal! Anyway, if you have been doing it for 3 yrs with no increases I'd say go for it! Write up a new contract & make it effective for sometime in the next 3-4 weeks & give it to your parents. 3-4 % seems fair in my opinion!
melskids 03:21 AM 03-05-2010
welcome!

i dont raise my rates for current families, as an extra courtesy for them. it seems to be a "selling point" for me at interview time. however, i do charge the same flat fee for every age, and it doesnt go down just because the child is potty trained or gets older.

i do raise my rates for new clients every year.

for example, all of my families pay $120 / week currently. which is LOW for my area, i was new in 2009 to this area, (just moved here) and didnt know!!! any new families i get in 2010 will be charged $135 which is still below going rate.
momma2girls 04:42 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
welcome!

i dont raise my rates for current families, as an extra courtesy for them. it seems to be a "selling point" for me at interview time. however, i do charge the same flat fee for every age, and it doesnt go down just because the child is potty trained or gets older.

i do raise my rates for new clients every year.

for example, all of my families pay $120 / week currently. which is LOW for my area, i was new in 2009 to this area, (just moved here) and didnt know!!! any new families i get in 2010 will be charged $135 which is still below going rate.
Can I ask what state you are in? Is it a large city or small one?
melskids 05:36 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
Can I ask what state you are in? Is it a large city or small one?

i'm in NY. its funny though, i lived downstate and going rate for full time is like $225 - $240 a WEEK!!! i moved 2 1/2 hours north to a SMALL town, and going rate is around $140 max. unlicensed daycares doing it illegally are only charging 75 - 100 so its been hard competing with them.

cost of living is so different in this area and there are no jobs. but, hubby wanted to live in the mountains, so here we are...lol

i must admit though, i'm starting to enjoy the simple life... sort of
momma2girls 06:26 AM 03-05-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
i'm in NY. its funny though, i lived downstate and going rate for full time is like $225 - $240 a WEEK!!! i moved 2 1/2 hours north to a SMALL town, and going rate is around $140 max. unlicensed daycares doing it illegally are only charging 75 - 100 so its been hard competing with them.

cost of living is so different in this area and there are no jobs. but, hubby wanted to live in the mountains, so here we are...lol

i must admit though, i'm starting to enjoy the simple life... sort of
WOW!! THat is quite a difference!!!!
originalkat 06:59 PM 03-05-2010
I have only been a home provider for 2 years and have not changed my rates. I really do not plan to. I am on the higher end of the rate scale for homes in my area so I dont think it would be a good idea. I only take 2-5 year olds so the longest I would have a child is 3 years. I do not think I would raise their rate in those 3 years but would consider doing it for new families coming in.
Tags:rate increase, rates
Reply Up