Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Woo Hoo!! Tier 1 (Food Program)
marniewon 09:37 AM 01-26-2011
I just got a letter today from the food program stating that I now qualify for Tier 1 reimbursements, effective 10/1/2010!! I called them to make sure it was retroactive, and it is . She told me she has everything done on her end and now it just needs to be processed and I'll get a check for the difference . I'm so stoked!
melskids 09:40 AM 01-26-2011
yeah for you!!!!

i'm on tier 2 and sometimes dont think its worth it
KEG123 09:43 AM 01-26-2011
That's awesome!
marniewon 10:13 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
yeah for you!!!!

i'm on tier 2 and sometimes dont think its worth it
Many times on tier 2 I wondered if it was even worth it! I've been so close to quitting so many times - especially when the fp lady would come during nap and wake everyone up, or just as I'm getting food ready.

I guess the USDA came up with new regs; it used to be that you had to go by the nearest elementary school, but now it can go on any school in your district.
melskids 10:18 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:
Many times on tier 2 I wondered if it was even worth it! I've been so close to quitting so many times - especially when the fp lady would come during nap and wake everyone up, or just as I'm getting food ready.

I guess the USDA came up with new regs; it used to be that you had to go by the nearest elementary school, but now it can go on any school in your district.
there's ONLY 1 school in my disrtrict, and its pre-k - 12. i'm in a small town...lol
cillybean83 10:36 AM 01-26-2011
does the food program offer you a bigger reimbursment than the standard deductions of $0.66 for snack, $1 something for breakfast and $2 something for lunch?
marniewon 10:58 AM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by cillybean83:
does the food program offer you a bigger reimbursment than the standard deductions of $0.66 for snack, $1 something for breakfast and $2 something for lunch?
No. Tier 2 (which is what I was on) is:
Breakfast: .44
Lunch/dinner 1.33
Snack: .18

Tier 1 is:
Breakfast: 1.19
Lunch/dinner: 2.22
Snack: .66

As you can see, Tier 1 is way closer to what I actually pay for food. Tier 2 doesn't even come close and that's why so many wonder if it's even worth the paperwork and hassle to even participate.
Abigail 12:54 PM 01-26-2011
I thought the food program went based off where the children came from whether they were low income or not. Hmm, it goes based off the schools? Hopefully it doesn't go based off my income because my husband has a good job and I'm sure I wouldn't qualify then.

Question about food program and taxes. If I am on the food program, that reimburses so-much per meal. I get that. Tier one pays more than Tier two and I get that. Then, when taxes come do I still claim the standard food deductions or can I not because I was paid by the food program?
Childminder 04:39 PM 01-26-2011
Originally Posted by :
Question about food program and taxes. If I am on the food program, that reimburses so-much per meal. I get that. Tier one pays more than Tier two and I get that. Then, when taxes come do I still claim the standard food deductions or can I not because I was paid by the food program?
standard food deductions
marniewon 05:07 AM 01-27-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I thought the food program went based off where the children came from whether they were low income or not. Hmm, it goes based off the schools? Hopefully it doesn't go based off my income because my husband has a good job and I'm sure I wouldn't qualify then.

Yes, it goes by income. But they pick a school and see how many kids have free/reduced lunches. If it's above a certain percent, you are on tier 1. If it's below a certain percentage, you get tier 2. IF you don't qualify for tier 1, you can have the parents of the kids in your care fill out an income sheet or it can go off your own income (your choice if you want to pursue either of these options).

You would claim the standard deduction, because you are already counting the food program checks as income.
tstuewe 10:55 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by marniewon:

I'm just starting daycare, but when I checked with a couple sponsors they said it is by the nearest elementary school not any school in the district. There are two elementary schools in my town, the one closet to me is at 40% and the other one (a whole 2 miles from my house) is over 50%. I'm in Minnesota, is it diferent for different states?
Cat Herder 12:13 PM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Childminder:
standard food deductions
Then does the money go toward income.....

Or is is tax free?

I thought we lost the deduction....
lucky 02:37 PM 03-04-2011
Starting October 1st any school within your boundaries elementary, middle, or high school with 50% or more children on free/reduced lunch qualifies you for tier one status. It used to be only elementary.

Food program money is considered income and you do get a bigger deduction if you are on tier 2 because you can claim the difference on all the meals you served.
blueclouds29 02:57 PM 03-04-2011
wrong thread.. sorry
Unregistered 07:08 PM 01-29-2012
I have a question. I have my kids in a home daycare. The Daycare provider states she doesn't get money for food for my son when there is a non- school day (he's usually there before and after) is this true?
MissAnn 03:25 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a question. I have my kids in a home daycare. The Daycare provider states she doesn't get money for food for my son when there is a non- school day (he's usually there before and after) is this true?
It's true. Food program only reimburses for the meals your child is in attendance. If he goes home before snack, she will not be able to claim his snack.
Heidi 06:20 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by tstuewe:
I'm just starting daycare, but when I checked with a couple sponsors they said it is by the nearest elementary school not any school in the district. There are two elementary schools in my town, the one closet to me is at 40% and the other one (a whole 2 miles from my house) is over 50%. I'm in Minnesota, is it diferent for different states?
It's the school district assigned to your home.
GretasLittleFriends 06:20 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:
there's ONLY 1 school in my disrtrict, and its pre-k - 12. i'm in a small town...lol
I'm in your boat, and our prek-12 school is above the 50% reduced/free lunch.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Not sure, I get paid for my school aged kids on non-school days. I could be that since he is typically there only before and after school that she didn't enroll him into the program? If the kids have a day off school (say MLKJ day or Winter Break or whatever) as long as I check the box that says "Sch Out" meaning they don't have school that day, I get paid. The food program is a federal program so there should not be many differences in the program. What state you're in should NOT make a difference; neither should which food program sponsor your daycare provider uses.
Heidi 06:24 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:

Not sure, I get paid for my school aged kids on non-school days. I could be that since he is typically there only before and after school that she didn't enroll him into the program? If the kids have a day off school (say MLKJ day or Winter Break or whatever) as long as I check the box that says "Sch Out" meaning they don't have school that day, I get paid. The food program is a federal program so there should not be many differences in the program. What state you're in should NOT make a difference; neither should which food program sponsor your daycare provider uses.
This is my understanding as well. Perhaps your provider doesn't have this info. She should call her food program and check!
Heidi 06:25 AM 01-30-2012
Every small town/school district witin a 30 mile radius was Tier 1, but ours wasn't. I just got a letter saying ours now qualifies! This will pretty much double my payments!
Meeko 06:43 AM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:

Ir depends how the provider enrolled him. If she filled in the MM form stating he was there before and after school, it will exclude him from being included when he is there on non school days.

My program tells us to choose "days vary" and "times vary" when filling out the form. That way we are covered in all events.
Meeko 06:44 AM 01-30-2012
Love being tier one and 16+ kids! $$$$
Countrygal 02:45 PM 01-30-2012
How do you find out what tier your school is in? Or how do you find what % of children in a school get free lunch?
Heidi 04:31 PM 01-30-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
How do you find out what tier your school is in? Or how do you find what % of children in a school get free lunch?
Country, what school district are you in? I can look on my list....
Tags:food program, tier 1, tier 1 food program
Reply Up