Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice Please
Unregistered 12:36 PM 01-12-2011
We have a class 2 home daycare. That means we can have 16 children. But with the economy like it is and the job market the daycare is really struggling without the needed income. We have 5 full time kids right now and a few very part time.
There's a full time mom who never wants to pay, doesn't pay on time, has to be reminded every week that it's due THAT day, always whines about not having any money. *tears* "I can't afford for her to come". We do our best to work around it, understanding that it is tough for families right now. Especially single moms. Often she'll have her kids stay with a grandparent if she can and then ask the owner if she still has to pay for the time they aren't in care. The answer is always "yes, you still have to pay". It's in the policy and contract that she signed. This morning she doesn't show up when expected. Owner texts her to find out if she's coming. She texts back that she's staying with Grandma today. Does she have to pay for daycare even though she isn't there? The answer of course is yes. Then she calls the owner and gives her the sad story again of how she just can't afford anything, how much she's struggling, etc (so is the owner! This isn't a get rich quick business!) Anyway, dcm tells her that she might pull daughter out and bring her to a daycare center that is income based. If she can get her rate there cheaper than here. She said she'd let us know.... so now we are probably losing another full timer. In one way I think the mom is just trying to "threaten" the owner into giving her what she wants. But on the other, I'm sure she really will pull her out if it's even a tiny bit cheaper (her daughter loves it here, loves us, we love her to death, the other kids all love her, and always miss her really bad when she isn't here). But I guess the mom would up root her right before preschool graduation with us. Then she'll be in school and not even need daycare anymore. So 4 months before she'll be leaving daycare anyway she wants to pull her out and start her at a new, cheaper, one. Do you all have any ideas for what we might be able to do? Should we find out what the other daycare will be charging her with the "income based" rate and then offer to lower our rate to that, since we certainly don't need to worry about not having enough spots for a full paying full timer. And we need to take what we can where we can? We love this little girl and HATE to see her leave! Or do you think the mom would just keep it up with the excuse they can't afford even that and expect even bigger discounts after that? What would you do if it was your daycare?
lvt77 03:25 PM 01-12-2011
wow this is a tuff one.....
I am push over all the time....If I really needed the money I would sit down the person and really try to find out their $ situation. Tell them that it goes both ways..Just as she is hurting so is the day care. Tell them how tramatizing it will be if she moved the daughter. If you really need the money and really want to help the little girl staywith all of her loving friends....compromise...
missnikki 04:18 PM 01-12-2011
It sounds like someone who grew up getting what she wants. Grandma watching the girl? That's a favor she asked of Grandma, just to turn around and ask you for a favor too by not paying for that day, when clearly she knows better. I would say her track record is less than stellar with understanding and grace. I may be in the minority here, but I feel that if she knows she has to pay, then sob- stories you to death trying to change your mind, then she is only going to cause you more headaches in the future if you give in to her.
I would say no- go on this one, might be better off being honest and telling her "Do what you have to do." (Little girl doesn't stand a chance with a mom like that)
DBug 06:33 AM 01-13-2011
Yep -- be sympathetic and understanding, and tell her that she needs to do "what's best for her and her situation". Call her bluff. If she leaves, well, at least you won't have to deal with the drama anymore. But she may just decide that since it IS only 4 more months, she might be able to scrape together enough money to continue
Tags:bad economy, economy
Reply Up