Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Do you provide transportation?
Yes 10 34.48%
No 18 62.07%
Once in awhile 1 3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Of You Provide Transportation?
wdmmom 11:57 AM 02-12-2013
I see an awful lot of threads about transporting school agers, field trips, etc.

Does your state have any policies when it comes to transporting?

I'm in Iowa and after speaking to my insurance agent, it is required that I purchase a commercial auto policy and carry a $1 million dollar minimum liability coverage in the event of accident, injury or death.

From my understanding you are paid to transport kids, you are "for hire" and this same commercial coverage applies to you.

The cost for me to obtain this coverage was $2000 a year and is in addition to my private automobile policy. This was for ONE of my vehicles!

I don't like the idea of transporting anyway, not only because the liability is far too high but the thought of loading and unloading kids multiple times per day sounds like it's more work than it's worth.

The thought of many of you transporting and not having enough coverage could wind up costing you everything one day. I would encourage you to look into your states requirements and speak to your insurance agent to ensure you are not only carrying the appropriate coverage but to make sure have high limits to cover yourself and those you transport.
SquirrellyMama 12:02 PM 02-12-2013
I'm also in Iowa and I have never been told that before. When we had American Family we bought a daycare rider for our insurance and an umbrella policy with our autos.

All of my insurance: house, cars and daycare are again with the same company but not AA this time.

Is that a state law or just your insurance?

ETA: Yes, I do transport. I would go nuts in my house all day long.

K
wdmmom 12:06 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
I'm also in Iowa and I have never been told that before. When we had American Family we bought a daycare rider for our insurance and an umbrella policy with our autos.

All of my insurance: house, cars and daycare are again with the same company but not AA this time.

Is that a state law or just your insurance?

ETA: Yes, I do transport. I would go nuts in my house all day long.

K
Based on what I was told, it doesn't matter what insurance company it is. If you are paid to tote kids to and from, you are considered "for hire" and legally required to carry commercial auto coverage.
SquirrellyMama 12:11 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Based on what I was told, it doesn't matter what insurance company it is. If you are paid to tote kids to and from, you are considered "for hire" and legally required to carry commercial auto coverage.
That is interesting because I've never had an insurance company tell me that. I just Googled info on it and couldn't find anything. I'll try again.
Originally Posted by :
From my understanding you are paid to transport kids, you are "for hire" and this same commercial coverage applies to you.
I guess I've never thought that I was being paid to transport the kids. I can see the logic in it but I feel like all of my transporting isn't covered in what I charge.

K
CedarCreek 12:14 PM 02-12-2013
I'd like to know what applies in Texas. I would love to start taking field trips every once in a while.
wdmmom 12:18 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
That is interesting because I've never had an insurance company tell me that. I just Googled info on it and couldn't find anything. I'll try again.

I guess I've never thought that I was being paid to transport the kids. I can see the logic in it but I feel like all of my transporting isn't covered in what I charge.

K
Most people aren't honest when asked if they use their car for business and don't provide the information that they offer transportation.

I've switched insurance companies since receiving this information and was told the same thing by the new agency.
SquirrellyMama 12:25 PM 02-12-2013
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Most people aren't honest when asked if they use their car for business and don't provide the information that they offer transportation.

I've switched insurance companies since receiving this information and was told the same thing by the new agency.
I think I just assumed they knew I'd be using my car. I never thought about it. Our last insurance company must have known because we did the daycare rider and umbrella policy just for that purpose.

After not having the daycare for 6 years we had to go with a new insurance company because the one we had in between the 2 daycare will not do daycare.

We got new house, car and daycare policies because of the daycare so I assume they know. I'll talk with our agent to make sure they understand.
I was never intentionally dishonest.

ETA: I looked back at a questionnaire that I had to fill out to get my insurance and one of the questions asks about transporting kids and I answered yes. They are not unaware.

K
MarinaVanessa 04:17 PM 02-12-2013
I voted yes but I only have one DCB in pre school that I do this for and once he grows out of my program I won't be doing it anymore. I also pick up my DD from school later in the afternoon and she's on a waiting list for the Boys and Girls club after-school program (her choice). Once she gets in I am not doing any transporting except for field trips when I want to because of the hassles .

PS: My insurance is with State Farm (my mom works for my insurance agent) and we get our vehicle insurances (all vehicles), my daycare liability rider and other policies all from them. My agent knows that i do daycare and my regular vehicle insurance covers my trips with daycare kids no matter which car I use. I'm in CA however and I know that it can change from State to State (another provider also with State Farm in another state may not be covered or offered this bonus) so I count myself lucky.
Mom&Provider 04:23 PM 02-12-2013
I do....by foot!

I'm not sure what the rules are here since I've never looked, but I'd imagine I'd have to get some extra insurnace at the least and of course add it to my contract. I am close enough to the school here, that although it's a pain in the cold or rain, we can walk. I also have a small enough group that it's not too bad to get everyone dressed. I'd rather not wake from naps, obviously, but sometimes I have few options and we've made it work! I also have one family that comes here that would be 100% against it, it was one issue they brought up during the interview 2 years ago and I'd hate to lose them since I have siblings come from that family and they're great!
Tags:poll, transportation
Reply Up