Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:28 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Swaddling is linked to SIDS

I just read on some websites that they have linked swaddling babies to SIDS. I just thought I'd let you guys know. If you Google 'swaddling babies SIDS', you will find websites about it.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:33 AM

It is about the body/room temperature.

www.firstcandle.org
Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM
Daycare.com Member

I will have to read about it, but if that is the case, hospitals better stop swaddling those newborns! I take every "study" with a grain of salt, but that was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the thread title.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Daycare.com Member

Licensing does not let us swaddle and never has. We can only have a receiving blanket in the bed and it can't come up but to the child's chest.....
Old 05-09-2016, 11:12 AM

Direct quote.

"To reduce the risk for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that parents and caregivers avoid overbundling, overdressing, or covering an infant's face or head to prevent him or her from getting overheated."
Old 05-09-2016, 12:20 PM
Unregistered

ABC news had a story this morning about it saying there is a 37% higher risk of sids for swaddled babies.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:42 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
ABC news had a story this morning about it saying there is a 37% higher risk of sids for swaddled babies.
Can you tell me how they got that number? I read the study and basicaly it said that you shouldn't put your baby on their side or front when swaddled (or not swaddled), so how is swaddling in any way tied to a higher chance of SIDs?
Old 05-09-2016, 12:51 PM
Unregistered

I just read it too. To me if looks like they gave incorrect info by being way too brief. I didn't hear them mention side or tummy sleeping.
Maybe they were trying to improve on past stories they've done where some doc tells how to put babies asleep with a "5 S " system that includes swaddling combined with tummy or side sleeping! (Saw that when googling for further info.)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:20 AM
Daycare.com Member

I just got an email from my licensar detailing that providers cannot put babies to sleep with blankets now, even tucked in. It recommended a sleep sack.

No infants here, eva!
Old 05-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
I just got an email from my licensar detailing that providers cannot put babies to sleep with blankets now, even tucked in. It recommended a sleep sack.

No infants here, eva!
We've had that rule here for a few years now.

I'd be interested to see a more in-depth study on the positions of the swaddled babies who died of SIDS. If babies were placed on their tummies or sides while swaddled, that's a horrible idea! If they were on their backs and old enough to turn over or undo their swaddle, they are too old to be swaddled anyway.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:38 PM
Nature Lover

I heard on a news story that they think the babies get into too deep of a sleep and forget to breath. Maybe like sleep apnea or something.
We only get one shot at this!!
Old 05-10-2016, 07:57 PM
Daycare.com Member

The news did not accurately report the study. The actual study also cited babies 6m and older suffocating while sleeping on their stomach. There were lots of factors.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...peds.2015-3275
Old 05-13-2016, 04:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I just read it too. To me if looks like they gave incorrect info by being way too brief. I didn't hear them mention side or tummy sleeping.
Maybe they were trying to improve on past stories they've done where some doc tells how to put babies asleep with a "5 S " system that includes swaddling combined with tummy or side sleeping! (Saw that when googling for further info.)
This is Dr Harvey Karp. His 5 S system is swaddle, side holding, schussing to mimic womb sounds, swing or sway ( gently in your arms) and sucking. The side or tummy recommendation is when you are holding an infant-not when the infant us lying down.

His technique is for infants typically under three months who cry uncontrollably for hours. He believes infants have a built in reflex that side holding triggers. Swaddling also mimics the womb. He has observed infants all over the world and in many places crying for hours and hours (called colic here) is unheard of so he began studying these cultures to see what was being done differently.

I've done the side holding and it worked instantly on a screaming infant....just like a reflex.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:54 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have an infant- 6 weeks that loves to be swaddled and is a very crabby baby otherwise. I have the swaddlers.

This is something that is always changing.... enough to drive a person crazy! Pretty soon they will say all babies should be placed to sleep naked, no diapers or anything and that you must watch them every minute and as soon as they pee or poop you have to change the sheets. No wait they probably won't get sheets switch to a new mattress and sanitize the other one with bleach.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

I don't know...for generations babies have been swaddled, and of those millions of children born over these generations, there have not been as many deaths as we think that has been related to that. SIDS is truly unknown. No one knows why babies die for NO reason. That's what the point of it being called SIDS was. The ONLY correlation was the sleeping on tummy thing...now that babies sleep on backs, they are less likely to have problems with SIDS. However, the truth is, we still don't know what actually causes a true case.

of 4 kids, only 2 liked to be swaddled. One who WAS NOT swaddled, was a breath holding kid. He had apnea so bad, he stopped breathing to a point of needing CPR--more than once (that's SCARY) No one could figure out what was causing it. He then almost died in surgery at age 1, a routine surgery that was supposed to be easy. The medications they gave him depressed his respiratory system too much. He had to be brought back to us.

Again, no reason why this would occur, considering they gave him 1/2 doses of the anesthesia due to his apnea, compared to what another child of his age would get.

Now, he's a healthy 9yo and you would never guess anything ever happened to him at all...

It's all a crap shoot. The problem is, no one is just willing to admit they simply do not have the answers to some of these things. Medicine is not an exact science...too many variables.

So in other words, swaddle those babies. But put them on their backs because so far, that's the ONLY thing that has shown an actual link.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:18 PM
Unregistered

....but not if your license regulations prohibit it.

Tags
infant - safety, overheating infants, positional asphyxia, safe sleep, sids, sids prevention, suids