Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rock and Sleep
Msdunny 04:46 AM 01-09-2020
I have a parent texting, asking if she can bring a rock and sleep for her 6 month old. The baby has a terrible cold and can't sleep very well. Honestly, she wouldn't be coming if I didn't have my daughter to help out because she is pretty demanding with this sickness.

I told her that legally, I can't use them. She said she thought maybe with a parent's permission I could.

Am I right saying, no, it doesn't matter, it can't be used? (sorry for the disjointed post. I've had a virus all week, and have no patience with parents at this point. )
Reply
Msdunny 04:59 AM 01-09-2020
Should say 'Rock and play', not sleep...
Reply
DeeDee 05:03 AM 01-09-2020
I personally wouldn't allow it. Legally your not allowed to use it, so there's really no point in it being there, besides taking up space. Though we want baby to be comfortable especially while sick, licensing rules/requirements still have to be taken into account.
Reply
Jupadia 05:20 AM 01-09-2020
I would say no as well, I'm not licensed where I am or have any equipment restrictions and would not allow it.
Reply
Cat Herder 05:21 AM 01-09-2020
Parents cannot give you permission to break the law.

Tell her kids have died in them. https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...pers-recalled/ More than 30 infant fatalities have been reported since the product was introduced in 2009, “after the infants rolled over while unrestrained, or under other circumstances,” according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
Reply
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 01-09-2020
I thought these things were recalled and no longer sold and consumers that still own one were encouraged to toss it out.
Reply
Msdunny 07:29 AM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I thought these things were recalled and no longer sold and consumers that still own one were encouraged to toss it out.
They were, and this mom has said she knows they aren't really allowed, but they obviously still use it.
Reply
Ariana 09:15 AM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
They were, and this mom has said she knows they aren't really allowed, but they obviously still use it.
So she is willing to allow the possibility of her child dying so she doesnít miss work? Who do you think will go to jail if it happens on your watch. This parent is pretty ridiculous!
Reply
Msdunny 09:36 AM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by Ariana:
So she is willing to allow the possibility of her child dying so she doesnít miss work? Who do you think will go to jail if it happens on your watch. This parent is pretty ridiculous!
She is, and I'm getting to the end of my rope with her. This is the same mom I talked about in another post. Both girls were dropped off today, and baby is obviously miserable. Mom texted to check on her about an hour later, and I told her she needed to be picked up. Baby can't eat, super snotty, whiney...just really sick. Mom said grandma will come get her at 12:45 (2 hours later). Said that older sister needs to stay because she doesn't nap at Grandma's and she will nap here. (sister is sick too, and needs the rest). Grandma is coming later so she can finish her morning at work and so big sis won't see the pick up and get upset.

I'm just so done with this. I love my job and I'm tired of enforcing illness policies. For really only one family.
Reply
Cat Herder 09:44 AM 01-09-2020
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
She is, and I'm getting to the end of my rope with her. This is the same mom I talked about in another post. Both girls were dropped off today, and baby is obviously miserable. Mom texted to check on her about an hour later, and I told her she needed to be picked up. Baby can't eat, super snotty, whiney...just really sick. Mom said grandma will come get her at 12:45 (2 hours later). Said that older sister needs to stay because she doesn't nap at Grandma's and she will nap here. (sister is sick too, and needs the rest). Grandma is coming later so she can finish her morning at work and so big sis won't see the pick up and get upset.

I'm just so done with this. I love my job and I'm tired of enforcing illness policies. For really only one family.
This may be a good time to remind them that you are a mandated reporter and medical neglect is reportable. https://pediatrics.aappublications.o...ent/120/6/1385
https://www.childwelfare.gov/pubPDFs/childcare.pdf
Reply
PB&J 04:08 PM 01-09-2020
Regarding alternate sleeping positions with the parentsí permission: in Indiana we must have a doctorís signed directive on file, and there is a state form for this (even includes an expiration date for the order).
Like others have said, parents canít give you acceptable permission to do whatís illegal or against licensing.
Reply
Tags:death at daycare, mandated reporter, medical neglect, parent - its a verb, positional asphyxia, positional asphyxiation
Reply Up