Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>High Chair Question
Pixiefrogw 02:31 PM 11-11-2016
Can an infant be restrained in a high chair and left unattended in a daycare center? The infant teacher places all the mobile infants in high chairs, (with no safety straps) then leaves the room to prepare bottles and cereal. This is in a center in Minnesota. I tried calling family services to ask them, but they were closed today. I will call again Monday, but thought I'd ask here in the mean time. Thank you
Blackcat31 02:43 PM 11-11-2016
Originally Posted by Pixiefrogw:
Can an infant be restrained in a high chair and left unattended in a daycare center? The infant teacher places all the mobile infants in high chairs, (with no safety straps) then leaves the room to prepare bottles and cereal. This is in a center in Minnesota. I tried calling family services to ask them, but they were closed today. I will call again Monday, but thought I'd ask here in the mean time. Thank you
No! An infant CAN NOT Be strapped in a high chair and left unattended for ANY reason.

ALL equipment MUST have the safety straps intact and in working order.

IF that child fell, that center would be charged with neglect and possibly abuse depending on the child's injuries.

Here is the link to MN Rule 3 for Child Care centers:
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9503

This link specifically addresses the use of physical restraints
https://www.revisor.mn.gov/rules/?id=9503.0055
Pixiefrogw 03:02 PM 11-11-2016
Thank you for the fast reply. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure if it was law in MN. I searched but couldn't find anything. I have worked in several child care centers, and it wasn't legal, but all those centers were in North Dakota and I don't know what the laws are in MN. Whenever I ask the director a question, she doesn't know and when I asked for a handbook she told me it should be online.
Unregistered 04:11 PM 11-11-2016
Curious if its individual high chairs or a table with multiple chair built into?
Pixiefrogw 04:56 PM 11-12-2016
Individual high chairs.
Silly Songs 10:39 PM 11-12-2016
It shouldn't matter where they are placed. Children should NEVER be left alone in a room at a center !!!
Gemma 04:43 AM 11-13-2016
Originally Posted by Silly Songs:
It shouldn't matter where they are placed. Children should NEVER be left alone in a room at a center !!!

Jupadia 01:47 PM 11-13-2016
All I can add is baby can stand any time in high chairs and fall out. Just yesterday my husband forgot to strap our 10 month old in aND went yo grab a bib he forgot in yhe kitchen. I walked into the room and baby was turned around standing up, luckily he did not fall and I got to him in time. (Also husband has now learnt lessen and will be doing up stars every time)
Pixiefrogw 08:05 PM 11-13-2016
I want to thank everyone who replied. When I was hired for the job I was told that I had more experience then anyone else there, that the current director had been there 2 years. I figured even if they didn't have the experience they would know the laws and proper schedules.
I was horrified when I saw the way they ran the infant room. Diapers are changed every 3 hours, not every 2. Some of those babies would only be changed twice in the whole day. If that wasn't bad enough, you have to leave the room and go to another room to change diapers and to make bottles.

Since I was hired as a sub only I was told to follow the teacher's schedule. The teacher told me that I have to put the infants in high chairs before leaving the room. This was a big no no everywhere else I worked, that's why I asked here, I wanted to be sure before saying something. This daycare is run by Head Start and since I'm a sub for both I have a different supervisor. I told her about all my concerns with the daycare. She was unaware and very concerned. She ordered a new changing table for the room and said she would investigate. Well they had someone come in and observe and they got in trouble for a few things and we are having a staff meeting tomorrow. I going to talk to the director before the meeting about the high chair situation and the infant room schedule. I don't want to say anything about it in the meeting because I don't want everyone pissed at me. They figure since I don't have a college degree in child care, my opinion doesn't matter. I just 8+ years of center experience, but what do I know :P
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 11-14-2016
Originally Posted by Pixiefrogw:
I want to thank everyone who replied. When I was hired for the job I was told that I had more experience then anyone else there, that the current director had been there 2 years. I figured even if they didn't have the experience they would know the laws and proper schedules.
I was horrified when I saw the way they ran the infant room. Diapers are changed every 3 hours, not every 2. Some of those babies would only be changed twice in the whole day. If that wasn't bad enough, you have to leave the room and go to another room to change diapers and to make bottles.

Since I was hired as a sub only I was told to follow the teacher's schedule. The teacher told me that I have to put the infants in high chairs before leaving the room. This was a big no no everywhere else I worked, that's why I asked here, I wanted to be sure before saying something. This daycare is run by Head Start and since I'm a sub for both I have a different supervisor. I told her about all my concerns with the daycare. She was unaware and very concerned. She ordered a new changing table for the room and said she would investigate. Well they had someone come in and observe and they got in trouble for a few things and we are having a staff meeting tomorrow. I going to talk to the director before the meeting about the high chair situation and the infant room schedule. I don't want to say anything about it in the meeting because I don't want everyone pissed at me. They figure since I don't have a college degree in child care, my opinion doesn't matter. I just 8+ years of center experience, but what do I know :P
This center is run by Head Start???

I am appalled at that alone.... I am in MN as well and we have a QRIS rating system for child care providers and centers in our state. This system rates providers and centers on how well they run their programs and how well they follow best practice above and beyond.

Head Start is the "model of success" according to our QRIS rating system and if this Head Start runs like you said then I am outright disgusted!!!! Head Start is suppose to know better and do better and if this kind of thing is happening in a Head Start program it only furthers my belief that HS is nothing but a government lie that costs tax payers millions of $ every year. I am both horrified and angered.
Reply Up