Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Parents Do You "Like"?
LovetheSun 02:52 PM 09-08-2015
From all the families you have enrolled how many do you like and dislike?

It might seems like a odd question but as I am feeling really frustrated, i wondered how many others felt this way and if i should just accept it as part of the job of been a daycare provider. Beside these two, everything would be a bliss.
Francine 02:59 PM 09-08-2015
I only have three families ( 4 kids) right now and can honestly say that I love all of them! Hasn't always been like that though, I have had a couple of Dads that were just creeps and a couple that I just didn't like but for the most part I have been lucky. I live in a smallish town so most of my clients have come from word of mouth, my existing clients no better than to send me any creepers LOL
Controlled Chaos 03:04 PM 09-08-2015
I like all my parents. I only like like a few of them 8 families enrolled and I would hang out at a BBQ with 6 of them. 4 I hope to continue to know once their kids age out. I am also friends with 2 past families who have already aged out. We do dinner occasionally. My kids are daycare age though, so these are my peers. When my kids are older, I wonder if this will still be the case...I guess it will not be.
Unregistered 03:04 PM 09-08-2015
Originally Posted by LovetheSun:

It might seems like a odd question but as I am feeling really frustrated, i wondered how many others felt this way and if i should just accept it as part of the job of been a daycare provider. Beside these two, everything would be a bliss.
Honestly, I used to like all my parents. I have since become a little more business orientated and less interested in parents and their lives outside of business so naturally I've gotten less close to the parents and therefore can't say I like or dislike any of them.
There are a few I think I could probably be friendlier with but it's worked better for me (business wise) to keep it strictly business.
Josiegirl 03:08 PM 09-08-2015
I don't dislike any of them but there are some that make me feel intimidated or awkward. There are some that are easier to talk with than others. The 4 dcfs...I like them all.
Unregistered 03:12 PM 09-08-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I like all my parents. I only like like a few of them 8 families enrolled and I would hang out at a BBQ with 6 of them. 4 I hope to continue to know once their kids age out. I am also friends with 2 past families who have already aged out. We do dinner occasionally. My kids are daycare age though, so these are my peers. When my kids are older, I wonder if this will still be the case...I guess it will not be.
My kids are in college. Most, if not all of my daycare parents are younger than my own children. I don't "like" many of them as I can see all the things their parents obviously did not teach them and I don't mean that in a mean way, just that I guess I am experiencing the first wave of "me-parents". It's a rare day any of them want to discuss their children. They all want to talk about themselves.
LovetheSun 03:14 PM 09-08-2015
On 12 families there is just 2 that are giving me a hard time, with both the kid and father are great but I am try to avoid the moms as pick up as they irritate me.

Maybe I am being to spoiled here.
midaycare 03:22 PM 09-08-2015
I like all of them. I am friends with none of them. A few I'm casual FB friends with. There is one I would go out with if the opportunity ever presented itself. But I don't go hunting for that.
MsLisa 03:55 PM 09-08-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I like all of them. I am friends with none of them. A few I'm casual FB friends with. There is one I would go out with if the opportunity ever presented itself. But I don't go hunting for that.
Same here.
Some last year, but most this year are easy to talk and laugh with; they may chat for a few. I am more relaxed around them and treat them different.
Most last year and only some this year are strictly get their kids and go; barely speak and I don't push it. They intimidate me a little or annoy me that they are grumpy gills.
daycarediva 04:11 PM 09-08-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Honestly, I used to like all my parents. I have since become a little more business orientated and less interested in parents and their lives outside of business so naturally I've gotten less close to the parents and therefore can't say I like or dislike any of them.
There are a few I think I could probably be friendlier with but it's worked better for me (business wise) to keep it strictly business.

If I didn't have a general rapport with them, they wouldn't be clients. They aren't all people I would chose to be friends with though. My opinion of them isn't really relevant for a business relationship.

I guess you could say that I like the clients who keep their end of the contract.
Ariana 04:43 PM 09-08-2015
I don't really "like" any of them. I don't agree with some of their parenting philosophies and most of them can be hard to get along with. I am friendly and cordial with all of them though. One current client clearly wants to be friends with me and is constantly asking me to do things outside of daycare which is a bit annoying but she means well.
mommiebookworm 04:57 PM 09-08-2015
I like 2 out of 5 Moms. I don't really see becoming friends with any of them.
spedmommy4 05:47 PM 09-08-2015
I have 12 enrolled familes and like most of them. There are only 2 families that I like enough to consider hanging out with outside of work.
nanglgrl 06:27 PM 09-08-2015
Family #1: Like the parent. Similar parenting styles but she's a first time mom so she gets a little too gung ho sometimes (I was her once). She believes a little bit too much in the "newest ways to raise the best child ever" and is a little gullible but nothing I can't handle. Always follows my policies. I couldn't see us hanging out not because there is anything wrong with her but because we don't have anything in common.

Family #2: Like the parents. They're a little helicoptery but they appreciate me and the care I provide. They always follow my policies and go above and beyond to provide things for daycare. I couldn't see us hanging out because I'm a goof and they seem very straight laced and serious even though they're friendly.

Family #3: Really like the family. They always follow my policies. They bring me gifts and show appreciation. We have similar parenting styles and they never complain. I could see us hanging out but that wouldn't happen until I wasn't watching their child anymore because it's just not something I do.

Family #4: Have only met dad a few times but see mom daily. When they first started the length of time she hung out in the morning drove me a little bonkers but we're in a groove now and she picks up on my signals on the days I just don't feel like talking. We have similar parenting styles, they follow my policies and she's goofy so I could see us hanging out but not until her kids age out of my daycare.

Family #5: I see both parents daily. They are nice but have different beliefs than a I do. They follow all of my policies. I couldn't see us hanging out because we are very different in some key beliefs.

Family #6: I only see the mother. Shes young and is doing an awesome job parenting. She follows all of my policies and I enjoy talking to her. The only reason I wouldn't hang out with her if her child wasn't in my care is that she's much younger than me.

Family #7: I only deal with this family because I love their child and all of my other families are so great. They are young. They try to bring their child sick, try to bring their child with food, try bring their child with choking hazards, don't call when they're not coming (often), don't call when they're coming late, try to drop off after my cut off time, bring their child when he's exhausted, and pick up late. The only things they don't do are pay late, show up when I'm closed or try not to pay on my paid days off. They're child is absent often and they are part time so I don't have to deal with them a lot, if I did I would term. I'm thankfully that I don't have a problem with and it doesn't stress me out to tell them no at the door. No outside food, no choking hazards, no he looks sick take him home and on and on and on. They are young but still good parents they just don't seem to get I'm not a babysitter. My policies can be met with an eye roll or sigh at times but they always do as I say. I just wish i didn't always have to enforce my policies at the door with them.

Basically I get along best with easy going people who love their kids, aren't too hyped on the most current parenting craze and above all respect me and my business. I would never hang out with anyone who had a child enrolled in my care though and haven't in the 15ish years I've been doing this.
BumbleBee 08:17 PM 09-08-2015
Honestly?

2 families that I like.

2 families that I can't stand but they follow the rules and their kids are ok

The rest are somewhere in the middle.
childcaremom 12:36 AM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Basically I get along best with easy going people who love their kids, aren't too hyped on the most current parenting craze and above all respect me and my business. I would never hang out with anyone who had a child enrolled in my care though and haven't in the 15ish years I've been doing this.

I don't know how to multi quote... but I also agree that I am more business-like now and don't really have a relationship with the parents, other than a business one.

I get along with them, their parenting values mostly coincide with mine and they are relatively easy going. I wouldn't imagine becoming friends with them outside of daycare but am happy to know them while their children are in my care.

I have had horrible parents and am thankful for the ones I have now. They aren't overly special, they are average people. But they follow the rules, communicate clearly with me, and we can talk about issues when they come up. I don't feel terrorized by them and my stomach doesn't clench into knots when they pull in the driveway. yes, I've had my share of those parents.
DaveA 04:32 AM 09-09-2015
I don't have any "problem" DCFs. Of my 5 families 1 I've worked with 8 years. Great DCPs & nice people. Little (OK at LOT) scatterbrained but good to work with and almost never causes a problem. Would easily be friends with them if they weren't clients.

2 others are closer to my own age or have similar personalities. I get along with them very well.

Another is not necessarily a couple I would be friends with (huge age difference and personalities wouldn't mesh), but are caring parents and follow the rules so I'm glad to have them.

My last family annoys me but nothing major. Little things here or there. Not thoughtless just clueless at times. I've joked it's ironic DCM offered to pay me in moonshine once because she will drive me to drink. They pay on time and don't cause many issues so no biggie.

I don't be friends/ hang out with clients outside of daycare ever again. THAT fiasco has been detailed before on here.
daycare 06:59 AM 09-09-2015
I have 22 families and I like all of them as clients. I am not friends with them.

But I keep it pretty business.

There is one parent I don't care for, but it's only because she post stuff on face book that I am highly offended by. I recently learned I can unfollow her judgemental, hateful post. But this mom has been nothing but nice to me in person.

I edit to add that if I don't like or get along with a parent, it's never going to work. I refuse to be unhappy in my own business. That's why I have a trail period. Or I let them go. Ain't no body got time for that. Lol
Snowmom 07:45 AM 09-09-2015
I used to care if I LIKED them, now I don't.

There's been many families over the years that I thought I loved, but turned out I really didn't like them at all in the end. Then there's some that I adored from the get go and I still miss them years later.

Now, as long as they don't disrespect me, I don't care to get to know any of them. I'm less likely to give second chances and warnings with the offenders, instead I just go about my business and replace them if I need to. The good parents are great to have, but it's never going to be more than business.
crazydaycarelady 07:55 AM 09-09-2015
I don't dislike any of my dcparents. Sometimes I think they do goofy things and question their decisions (but never say anything) but overall I like them.
Baby Beluga 08:14 AM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I don't dislike any of my dcparents. Sometimes I think they do goofy things and question their decisions (but never say anything) but overall I like them.

All of my current families are wonderful, giving people and I do like them as clients. But I would never consider bring friends with any of them or discussing anything personal about my life with them. Once I am in a business relationship with someone I can't make the switch to friendship.
Gemma 08:28 AM 09-09-2015
Originally Posted by LovetheSun:

I like most of the parents I've worked for, since putting my foot down and demand respect (for me, my property and my rules) during drop off/pick up!

Believe it or not most parents have no idea what bothers you, unless you straight out tell them! ....then there are those that just can't get it, well, we get rid of those!

Sorry you're having a tough time!
Play Care 09:16 AM 09-09-2015
This.
Stephnrich 12:55 PM 09-09-2015
I'm transitioning from full time care (11 hrs) to more of a MDO schedule (7 hrs), so I've lost 4 of my families. I liked 2 of them, but they were also my first to arrive/last to leave families. Of the 7 I have left, 3 of them I feel close to (we're facebook friends, I attend the events they invite me to), 3 I like but keep professional and 1 I am not fond of.

Reading other's responses in this thread makes me feel less guilty for not adoring all the families equally!
Unregistered 03:13 PM 09-10-2015
We laughingly apply our version of the 6 month rule to ALL new incoming families and some aquaintances outside of business. It seems to prove true for us, many more times than not. Let's be realistic; time and what you experience in that time is the true measure of ones demeanor and personality. This all comes from the point of view of a husband to a Childcare provider. I can't believe I'm doing this 👀.
This is my 1st day reading some of 👃🏼 your posts and find them very entertaining, comical and pretty much hit home with what my family and I have experienced in our home for the past 12 years. I worked outside of the home at my own career until an injury forced me to stay home and my wife to get her large license. I would do all of the Transporting of ours and the childcare children to and from schools, help out with incidental childcare duties and house chores. I remember coming home after a 10 hr workday to a house full of kids and having to immediately change directions to get my kids to they're perspective practices or games. Dinner was most often on the run, come home and get homework done and kids to bed. Then I got to start all over again, but wasn't until I was home for good did I start to see everything my wife had to do and put up with in a day. I always knew she had a really tough job but couldn't grasp the magnitude until I was there day in and day out. I also knew that it wasn't so much the children being a lot of work as it was the PARENTS. I'm sure you all have the same stories and could say, "boy do I have a story for you". Right? I think you should all write a book when your finished with this chapter of your life. You aren't just a childcare provider, your a friend (whether you like it or not), you're a counselor, a therapist and should be receptive to text messages at 11pm answering the question, "how did my child eat today" or "what kind of poop did they have".
I totally agree with "unregistered". That is exactly what I would tell my wife; treat it like a business because that is exactly what it is. Sometimes parents behave as though it's not really a business because it involves they're children. Nobody really wants their children to be treated as part as business, it's too impersonal. Many parents want that personal care for their child but when your in charge of watching 8-12 kids, how can you be so personal?
I don't know how my wife does it. Even some parents say, "I don't know how you do this".
She can do it because she is good at it, or is it she is good at it that's how she can do it. I always ask her if she ever wonders why she get so many of the jacked up parents/families? Seems like every one of them have some kind of issue or hang up about something, anything that is brought into our home.
So all of you men and husbands that perhaps may think that your wife just feeds, changes diapers and puts down for naps little kids. Let me say that unless your wife is probably one of the few priviledged in not having the drama that most certainly have; it's not like that. There is so much more that the average childcare provider deals with on a daily basis. In my estimation, it has got to be one of the most difficult jobs there are. Get her out of the house more often, take her to dinner, take her to a movie, go shopping with her. Show her how much you appreciate what she does. It's not easy.
daycare 03:15 PM 09-10-2015
We laughingly apply our version of the 6 month rule to ALL new incoming families and some aquaintances outside of business. It seems to prove true for us, many more times than not. Let's be realistic; time and what you experience in that time is the true measure of ones demeanor and personality. This all comes from the point of view of a husband to a Childcare provider. I can't believe I'm doing this ��.
This is my 1st day reading some of ���� your posts and find them very entertaining, comical and pretty much hit home with what my family and I have experienced in our home for the past 12 years. I worked outside of the home at my own career until an injury forced me to stay home and my wife to get her large license. I would do all of the Transporting of ours and the childcare children to and from schools, help out with incidental childcare duties and house chores. I remember coming home after a 10 hr workday to a house full of kids and having to immediately change directions to get my kids to they're perspective practices or games. Dinner was most often on the run, come home and get homework done and kids to bed. Then I got to start all over again, but wasn't until I was home for good did I start to see everything my wife had to do and put up with in a day. I always knew she had a really tough job but couldn't grasp the magnitude until I was there day in and day out. I also knew that it wasn't so much the children being a lot of work as it was the PARENTS. I'm sure you all have the same stories and could say, "boy do I have a story for you". Right? I think you should all write a book when your finished with this chapter of your life. You aren't just a childcare provider, your a friend (whether you like it or not), you're a counselor, a therapist and should be receptive to text messages at 11pm answering the question, "how did my child eat today" or "what kind of poop did they have".
I totally agree with "unregistered". That is exactly what I would tell my wife; treat it like a business because that is exactly what it is. Sometimes parents behave as though it's not really a business because it involves they're children. Nobody really wants their children to be treated as part as business, it's too impersonal. Many parents want that personal care for their child but when your in charge of watching 8-12 kids, how can you be so personal?
I don't know how my wife does it. Even some parents say, "I don't know how you do this".
She can do it because she is good at it, or is it she is good at it that's how she can do it. I always ask her if she ever wonders why she get so many of the jacked up parents/families? Seems like every one of them have some kind of issue or hang up about something, anything that is brought into our home.
So all of you men and husbands that perhaps may think that your wife just feeds, changes diapers and puts down for naps little kids. Let me say that unless your wife is probably one of the few priviledged in not having the drama that most certainly have; it's not like that. There is so much more that the average childcare provider deals with on a daily basis. In my estimation, it has got to be one of the most difficult jobs there are. Get her out of the house more often, take her to dinner, take her to a movie, go shopping with her. Show her how much you appreciate what she does. It's not easy.
you should register and stick around.......you rock....
daycarediva 03:31 PM 09-10-2015
We laughingly apply our version of the 6 month rule to ALL new incoming families and some aquaintances outside of business. It seems to prove true for us, many more times than not. Let's be realistic; time and what you experience in that time is the true measure of ones demeanor and personality. This all comes from the point of view of a husband to a Childcare provider. I can't believe I'm doing this ��.
This is my 1st day reading some of ���� your posts and find them very entertaining, comical and pretty much hit home with what my family and I have experienced in our home for the past 12 years. I worked outside of the home at my own career until an injury forced me to stay home and my wife to get her large license. I would do all of the Transporting of ours and the childcare children to and from schools, help out with incidental childcare duties and house chores. I remember coming home after a 10 hr workday to a house full of kids and having to immediately change directions to get my kids to they're perspective practices or games. Dinner was most often on the run, come home and get homework done and kids to bed. Then I got to start all over again, but wasn't until I was home for good did I start to see everything my wife had to do and put up with in a day. I always knew she had a really tough job but couldn't grasp the magnitude until I was there day in and day out. I also knew that it wasn't so much the children being a lot of work as it was the PARENTS. I'm sure you all have the same stories and could say, "boy do I have a story for you". Right? I think you should all write a book when your finished with this chapter of your life. You aren't just a childcare provider, your a friend (whether you like it or not), you're a counselor, a therapist and should be receptive to text messages at 11pm answering the question, "how did my child eat today" or "what kind of poop did they have".
I agree with this, except for 1. don't call or text me after hours. A woken up provider is NOT a happy one. 2. Please don't take me out after I have been "on" all day. I'm introverted, let's stay home.

Definitely register, it's neat to get a man's perspective. The field certainly needs more of it.
DaveA 03:43 PM 09-10-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
you should register and stick around.......you rock....
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I agree with this, except for 1. don't call or text me after hours. A woken up provider is NOT a happy one. 2. Please don't take me out after I have been "on" all day. I'm introverted, let's stay home.

Definitely register, it's neat to get a man's perspective. The field certainly needs more of it.
YES PLEASE REGISTER!!!!!! I'm outnumbered badly here!
Reply Up