Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many Kids do You Have? How Many are You Licensed to Have?
kpa0627 08:19 AM 08-25-2010
Just wondering how many children you care for and how many you are allowed to have (licensing rules)? Do you choose to have less than you're allowed or is it because you haven't been able to fill the spots?
Starting next week I will have 5 full time children between the ages of 18 months and 5 years. I am allowed to have 7 children. I would like to have 6 children signed up and leave the 7th spot open just because I don't really NEED the income right now but if I ever do then I could add another. Just wondering if anyone else has less children than you're allowed to have and if you choose to do it that way or if it's because you haven't found children to fill the spots.
SunflowerMama 08:25 AM 08-25-2010
I'm licensed for 12. I don't watch school-agers so I'm always under ratio. Most I'll have on any given day is 9 and that's on T/TH when I have a Mom's Morning Out program dcg from 9 - 11:30a. All other days it's 8 max. 2 of those are my own kids.

I get a lot of calls for infants or from families that are due but I stick with kids typically 18 months and up. I just have one little girl that's 13 months but she's my youngest.

I just leave the spots open b/c 9 is plenty for me .
melskids 09:20 AM 08-25-2010
because i have infants, my ratio is 5 (only 2 can be infant) plus 2 SA. i am full, and have 2 moms pregnant, so now i dont know what to do...lol
DanceMom 09:24 AM 08-25-2010
I am licensed for 12 and have 9 enrolled - 2 of which are my own kids and 1 that is in school all day - so I have 8 here all day. Last year I had 11 enrolled but 2 of those were school age and will not be returning this year
Liliya 09:31 AM 08-25-2010
I am licensed for 7,have 9. In my state we can have more then 7 if we have assistant and if no more then 7 are unrelated to provider, I have 6 unrelated and 3 related. We can have 1 more,but choose not too,just because do not want to deal with a new family.
MarinaVanessa 09:58 AM 08-25-2010
I am licensed for 6, 3 of which can be infants. I currently have 2 FT 1yo's and 1 PT 1yo which are all considered infants. I also have my own 5yo DD. I am expecting a baby in Nov (our kids count) but fortunately for me one of my 1yo will be 2 in October so I will still be within ratio. I still have 2 spot available but I'm not advertising yet because I don't want to be overwhelmed when my baby comes.
marniewon 10:55 AM 08-25-2010
I am licensed for 6 but have 3 full time, 1 part time and 1 drop in. I would like to have more but have stopped advertising since sometime this fall/winter I will be moving to another city and will have to start all over again with my daycare
DCMom 11:00 AM 08-25-2010
I have a Group Family License~14 total. I need to have a second adult if there are 14 children are present. I can have 10 under school age, with no more than 4 under 24 months. Of those 4, no more than 3 can be infants.

I have had 14 every day this summer~even with an assitant 6-7 hours a day, it has been exhausting!

Call it fate, karma, whatever, but I had 5 kids give notice in the last two weeks due to moving, job loss and going to kindergarten. I was only expecting the two that was going to Kindy, so thier spots are filled. The preschooler starts after Labor Day and her unborn sibling will start after the first of the year.

The remaining 3 I have been struggling with...I could fill them from my waiting list or I could let my assistant go. Those three kids basically pay for my assistant. I am leaning toward letting the assitant go~she hasn't worked out as well as I had hoped~and going solo again.

With only 8-9 kids during the day, this would be the least amount I have had in about 3 years. I'm kinda looking forward to it
Unregistered 11:52 AM 08-25-2010
I have , 3 of my own, and 2 daycare kids I do not have a licenses but in my state you can watch 2 unrelated children at a time and your own dont count. When I lived in another state I had a licneses daycare and had 9 kids 2 of my own and 7 daycare kids I could have 8 children unrelated to me.
legomom922 12:24 PM 08-25-2010
I'm not liscensed, so I can legaly have 2 in this area, and thats what I have...2..and i only take infants, so 2 is enough! LOL
Crystal 01:32 PM 08-25-2010
Licensed for 14, have 16 enrolled....some are part-time and share the spaces ( I also do preschool only - preK is here when school agers are at school)

All of my babies just turned two.....and all of my kids have been with me since they were babies....right now I have ages two-7 enrolled. I will enroll infants when/if any of these guys ever leave, lol!
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:47 PM 08-25-2010
We're allowed 16, but right now we are 3 under (but some of them are only part time, and one only comes for preschool 3 hrs a day). We could probably fill the spots if we took infants, but right now we're trying to hold out for more preschool age children and maybe (big maybe at this point) a couple school agers. We had 16 children last school year, plus three schoolagers (we're allowed 3 additional children when they only come B/A school). This doesn't count the owner's children. But it got pretty crazy, even with an extra person helping out during the busiest parts of the day a couple days a week. So I would very much like to stick to the number we have to avoid the chaos. It was a nightmare at times. I've written several times about some of them last semester
ninosqueridos 06:59 PM 08-25-2010
I can have 5 (plus my own 2 children). I currently have 4 because my stroller only holds 6. I can fill the last spot with an older dck or SA but they're hard to find since the school system here offers free pre-k for 4's and the after-care program for SA is reeeeally cheap.
Tags:ratios
Reply Up