Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>They are giving the 2yo coffee, on the way to my house!!
crazydaycarelady 08:15 AM 07-27-2015
Dcd had mentioned it once before but I thought surely I heard wrong, but then last week dcm mentioned it also. They give dcb half milk and half coffee. "He loves it!"

I am contemplating giving him a little coffee buzz shortly before pickup.
NillaWafers 08:26 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Dcd had mentioned it once before but I thought surely I heard wrong, but then last week dcm mentioned it also. They give dcb half milk and half coffee. "He loves it!"

I am contemplating giving him a little coffee buzz shortly before pickup.
Just tell them "He loves it!" Lol.
NoMoreJuice! 09:15 AM 07-27-2015
You have to be joking. That is worse than all the Reese's PB cups and Chocolate milk I've put up with from one of my families. Does it make him super crazy? Gah, some people!
Controlled Chaos 09:38 AM 07-27-2015
Is it decaf? And how big is the cup? My husband grew up drinking half milk and half coffee from the age 8 and up... I know 8 is a little older than 2. Is the child disruptively hyper? If not... Meh it's probably no worse nutritionally than most juices.
Thriftylady 09:41 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Is it decaf? And how big is the cup? My husband grew up drinking half milk and half coffee from the age 8 and up... I know 8 is a little older than 2. Is the child disruptively hyper? If not... Meh it's probably no worse nutritionally than most juices.
I kind of agree with this. Caffeine like sugar affects everyone differently. If it is making his behavior out of line, then yes an issue. If you don't notice it, no biggie. Caffeine only affects me if I drink a whole lot then it somehow affects my anxiety. Other than that, I can drink several cups of coffee before bed and go right to sleep.
CraftyMom 09:43 AM 07-27-2015
Can't be too much worse than chocolate milk and chocolate donuts
Play Care 09:45 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
This. My kids both have ADHD and I would rather they drink coffee in the AM. I've read it works as well, if not better than the major mess they do take

But like another poster mentioned - if the child is coming in off the wall and you suspect his daily am beverage isn't helping then speak up.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:09 AM 07-27-2015
Whatever happened to water and milk? Kids don't need coffee, juice, soda, ect. I understand the argument of it could be worse, but two wrongs don't make it right, kwim? Other than milk at meals, we do water here. Cheap and good for them and the point is to rehydrate, so it does the job nicely and with NO side effects. Except for a few more bathroom breaks
Heidi 10:22 AM 07-27-2015
I highly doubt we were two, but we grew up drinking coffee and tea. It's actually very common in Europe (I'm a first generation German immigrant).

If it affects his behavior, I'd say something.

A couple of my own kids loved having a little of my coffee when they were little. I'd basically let them have a sip or two (I just drink it with cream, no sugar). Oddly enough, none of my kids drink coffee as adults.
Play Care 10:36 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
Whatever happened to water and milk? Kids don't need coffee, juice, soda, ect. I understand the argument of it could be worse, but two wrongs don't make it right, kwim? Other than milk at meals, we do water here. Cheap and good for them and the point is to rehydrate, so it does the job nicely and with NO side effects. Except for a few more bathroom breaks
I agree that water is best, and that's all I serve as well. However I can't control what parents serve their own kids on their own time, and I refuse to allow it to upset me. The only way I would step in is if the child was off the wall because of the what they were given before dc (and even then I'd be careful not to blame the food or drink - mostly because when I go to term I don't want them claiming its over "allergies" or "intolerances" ) The op didn't mention any behavior issues due to the drink, just seemed upset he was being given it. I imagine if this was a dream client and child we wouldn't be hearing about it.
As a parent I occasionally allow my own kids things I wouldn't do at DC - heck they had Lucky Charms for breakfast this morning

In my case when it feels like anything a parent tells me makes me go , it's usually a sign the relationship needs to come to an end.
Thriftylady 10:39 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I only serve water and milk in my daycare most of the time, but lets face it parents don't do things that way. I was talking to DH awhile back about how when we were young, getting pop was a treat. Now people seem to drink it daily. The mom of my DCG was mad at me a few months ago when I refused to serve koolaid. Said she wouldn't drink water. Well guess what? She will if she is thirsty.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:54 AM 07-27-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I agree that water is best, and that's all I serve as well. However I can't control what parents serve their own kids on their own time, and I refuse to allow it to upset me. The only way I would step in is if the child was off the wall because of the what they were given before dc (and even then I'd be careful not to blame the food or drink - mostly because when I go to term I don't want them claiming its over "allergies" or "intolerances" ) The op didn't mention any behavior issues due to the drink, just seemed upset he was being given it. I imagine if this was a dream client and child we wouldn't be hearing about it.
As a parent I occasionally allow my own kids things I wouldn't do at DC - heck they had Lucky Charms for breakfast this morning

In my case when it feels like anything a parent tells me makes me go , it's usually a sign the relationship needs to come to an end.
I totally understand! I don't care what they give them at home and since I have no control over that anyway, it is for the best My sister is a mom who gives her 3 kids chocolate milk only, coke, mountain dew, juice mixed with pop (her 2 youngest got half grape juice and half sprite), ect. She says they don't like water (go figure!), but they drink it just fine at my house! And they are less hyper, emotional, and they sleep better. They go to bed at about 11 or 12 at her house, but even whent hey are sleeping over at mine and it should be a treat to stay up late, they are passed out by 10 at the latest! I like keeping juice and stuff as a treat, but I totally understand how it has become a food group for many parents. I feel like the water they get at my house is the only water they will get throughout the day, so I hope it helps make up for the junk calories they get at home
Febby 07:09 PM 07-27-2015
My nephews drink nothing except Mountain Dew at home. They get a little bit of milk in their cereal when they have cereal for breakfast, but otherwise that's it. Then they get mad at me because I won't give them soda when I'm in charge of them.

I agree though, that if it doesn't seem to affect behavior, then it's probably no worse than what everyone else is doing.
Reply Up