Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bandaids
tenderhearts 07:46 AM 09-07-2010
Ok so do you give the child a bandaid for every little owie even if it's so small, no blood nothing if they want it and they are hysterically crying?
I have a couple kids that need a bandaid for everything, one even comes with like 4 or 5 and there no scrapes nothing. Then I have a couple kids who want nothing to do with a bandaid even when they need it.
Crystal 07:57 AM 09-07-2010
I only use a bandaid if it is REALLY needed. They become stickers if not used for a real purpouse.
Lilbutterflie 08:20 AM 09-07-2010
I only give bandaids when it's bleeding. If it's just a little nothing booboo, I offer an ice pack. I have lots of them waiting in the freezer, and the kids are content with just 10 seconds of an ice pack before they are done & go play again.
missnikki 08:23 AM 09-07-2010
I had a couple of kids that got to that point once. I just gave them the bandaids and told them to sit down until they felt better. When they say they are ready (they get bored), we can take off the bandaid and they can go play.
safechner 08:37 AM 09-07-2010
I do not give any bandaids to the kids if it is needed. All I cleaned up and let it dry so the kids don't complain about it. I do the same thing with my own kids. I don't like to give the bandaids to the kids because it will sticky and infection if it is on bandaid too long.
SunflowerMama 08:42 AM 09-07-2010
I don't give them one unless it's bleeding. I do have a boo boo buddy that is a frozen elmo in the freezer.

So if someone gets a boo boo that isn't bleeding they can grab elmo for a few minutes until they feel better.
missnikki 08:58 AM 09-07-2010
I have the parents donate a box of bandaids each summer. I have a cupboard full and I guess I'm looking for chances to use them.

Sidenote: This summer my kids went on a field trip to a place that was like an indoor bouncehouse/ giant slide. They had the most genius icepacks (can't belive I haven't seen these yet)
They took a couple of wet bi-fold paper towels and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. They had stacks of them in the freezer, and they probably cost pennies to make. Disposable, stackable, cheap... I was thrilled. We used to do the latex glove filled w/ water but this beats all when you have 30+ kids. It's the little things, huh?
SilverSabre25 09:34 AM 09-07-2010
If you need to use up tons of bandaids, you can always let them use a box or two (or whatever) for doing doctor's office/hospital pretend play
kitkat 09:52 AM 09-07-2010
No blood, no bandaid. Even if it's a little scrape and the skin is broken, no bandaid unless it's bleeding. I wash it off and give a little TLC. I do the same for my own kids.
DCMom 09:57 AM 09-07-2010
Originally Posted by missnikki:
They took a couple of wet bi-fold paper towels and put them in a ziplock bag in the freezer. They had stacks of them in the freezer, and they probably cost pennies to make. Disposable, stackable, cheap... I was thrilled. We used to do the latex glove filled w/ water but this beats all when you have 30+ kids. It's the little things, huh?
That's what I do ~ just fold up a Bounty Select-a-Size section of paper towel to fit a snack size zipper bag, dampen them, I write 'BooBoo Bag' in silly letters on the outside of the bag and stack in the freezer. They are the perfect size for little knees and elbows. The love them

As far as bandaids, only if there is bleeding. I have a couple of kids that would cover themselves with them if they could, lol.
kendallina 10:46 AM 09-07-2010
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I only give bandaids when it's bleeding. If it's just a little nothing booboo, I offer an ice pack. I have lots of them waiting in the freezer, and the kids are content with just 10 seconds of an ice pack before they are done & go play again.
Yup, this.
Tags:bandaid, injury, owie
Reply Up