Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Large group (for me)... impending nap time...
lflick 08:25 AM 06-04-2013
Hi! I have been perusing the forum for some time looking for threads about napping.. I have found quite a few but nothing seems to be fitting into what I am looking for.

I have a relatively large group, for me anyhow, I have 3 toddlers (18-26 months) and a 4 year old.... naptime is a must... one DCG is a "screamer" during naptime so I have to put her in a separate room as it is so she doesn't disrupt everyone else on a daily basis. Typically I put one child in each room but today I have a drop in (has been here previous) and he is a good napper, generally. Him and another DCB will be in the same room, different pnp. I am actually very nervous about this lol as the first day we did this the other DCB cried... alot. and ended up being an early pick up due to illness..

Anyways how do you all keep your sanity during naptime lol? I find myself frequently stressed out during naptime trying to keep everyone quiet and respectful so those that are asleep can remain as such. Skipping nap all together is simply not an option neither is napping in shifts.... I know the one is tired as he fell asleep earlier and I had to wake him up so he could nap as a group.

ALSO... how do you keep everyone on a schedule when there is always one that seems to doze off because they get up so early in the am?
Lyss 11:15 AM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
Hi! I have been perusing the forum for some time looking for threads about napping.. I have found quite a few but nothing seems to be fitting into what I am looking for.

I have a relatively large group, for me anyhow, I have 3 toddlers (18-26 months) and a 4 year old.... naptime is a must... one DCG is a "screamer" during naptime so I have to put her in a separate room as it is so she doesn't disrupt everyone else on a daily basis. Typically I put one child in each room but today I have a drop in (has been here previous) and he is a good napper, generally. Him and another DCB will be in the same room, different pnp. I am actually very nervous about this lol as the first day we did this the other DCB cried... alot. and ended up being an early pick up due to illness..

Anyways how do you all keep your sanity during naptime lol? I find myself frequently stressed out during naptime trying to keep everyone quiet and respectful so those that are asleep can remain as such. Skipping nap all together is simply not an option neither is napping in shifts.... I know the one is tired as he fell asleep earlier and I had to wake him up so he could nap as a group.

ALSO... how do you keep everyone on a schedule when there is always one that seems to doze off because they get up so early in the am?
Can all the kids see one another? my 2 and 4 year olds are fine to sleep near one another but the 18mo old has to be out of sight or she tries to play/talk to everyone or cries. At first with the older ones I had to sit in the room, so everyone got the hint we just lay down but now everyone knows the drill.

All my DCKs sleep in the nap room at the same time (2, 2, 18mo, 4), I transition to nap mat at 18 months because the pnp takes up too much room.

The nap room I have is a extra bedroom so I put 18mo DCG on the far side of the bed that's near the wall (on nap mat on the floor and under the bed I have Rubbermaid containers for storage that also act as a barrier so she can't see the other kids). Since DCG gets upset or wants to play if she sees the other kids, she goes down first, while everyone else is washing hands and using bathroom. Then the rest quietly get on mats. I also have a fan that I run during nap.

When 18mo old DCG was younger she was a 24/7 screamer, at that point she slept in the pnp in the kitchen (as far away from everyone as I could get her ) and the nap room and DD's room had a fan running on high to drown out the screaming.

As for ones that get up early it really depends on age and how early. The 18mo I have also gets up at 630-645 everyday so by 10 she is tired. If she is out of control tired I will lay her down about 9:30 or 10 but I do not let her sleep longer than 30-40 mins. That seems to be enough to give her enough energy to make it through the rest of the morning and still sleep at nap time with everyone else at 12:30pm
lflick 12:14 PM 06-04-2013
The two boys were champion nappers.. after the first 10 minutes but I count that as a win lol. The 4 year old slept well and the 18 month DCG, the screamer, continued in her usual manner and finally fell asleep and is still asleep. I figure I will let her sleep for now since she was last asleep .. overall it was a successful nap!
Lyss 12:45 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
The two boys were champion nappers.. after the first 10 minutes but I count that as a win lol. The 4 year old slept well and the 18 month DCG, the screamer, continued in her usual manner and finally fell asleep and is still asleep. I figure I will let her sleep for now since she was last asleep .. overall it was a successful nap!
Glad it was successful!
Reply Up