Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Take a Baby?
originalkat 07:02 AM 01-08-2015
I need your insight. My program is geared toward 2-5 yr olds and has been for years. It has just happened to be that no one got pregnant and infants had not entered the picture. However, that is changing. One DCM is due in June and 2 others are planning on having more in the future.

DCM really wants me to take the baby in September so all her kids (I have her 2 older ones) can be together. I hesitate to do this, but I wonder if for the growth of my business I should consider taking infants if they are siblings.

I won't lie... since deciding to have only older kids it is more stressful filling spots more often due to them going to Kindergarten. But I have not forgotten how much work an infant is.

So, what do you think? What would (have) you done in this scenario? What logistical things do I need to consider if I am going to take an infant? I do not have any baby things anymore. And what about a safe space for play? Do you have an area for the little babies to play away from the older kids?
Play Care 07:19 AM 01-08-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I need your insight. My program is geared toward 2-5 yr olds and has been for years. It has just happened to be that no one got pregnant and infants had not entered the picture. However, that is changing. One DCM is due in June and 2 others are planning on having more in the future.

DCM really wants me to take the baby in September so all her kids (I have her 2 older ones) can be together. I hesitate to do this, but I wonder if for the growth of my business I should consider taking infants if they are siblings.

I won't lie... since deciding to have only older kids it is more stressful filling spots more often due to them going to Kindergarten. But I have not forgotten how much work an infant is.

So, what do you think? What would (have) you done in this scenario? What logistical things do I need to consider if I am going to take an infant? I do not have any baby things anymore. And what about a safe space for play? Do you have an area for the little babies to play away from the older kids?
I am NOT necessarily an infant provider. I have turned down infants in the past. But I do take them occasionally if it works for my group. Yes they can be more work initally but in my case it usually leads to *five years* guaranteed income. For a couple of months of some *extra* work... If you have the space and want to try it, then do it. I wouldn't term anyone (unless they were not working out) to take baby. My own personal policy is one baby at a time (even if another spot goes unfilled for a bit) and no one under 4months.
Shell 09:24 AM 01-08-2015
As long as it is one infant at a time, I think it is manageable. I have an older crew (been with me for years), and I took an infant from the summer until last week (termed), and another infant pt. I could manage when one was there, but with two, I really didn't have time for the big kids, in the way that I like to, I just didn't have time between bottles, diapers, and baby food spoon feeding. Since that baby is now gone, I feel like I can breath again! On the days the pt dcb is here, I can juggle it all- but I don't think I would take more than one ever again. I do think it's smart business to take babies, then you are guaranteed a few years. It's hard to find older kids around here, too.
NeedaVaca 10:25 AM 01-08-2015
I don't do babies...I decided that before I started and I love just having the older kids. I knew my limits and didn't want to have deal with the different age groups/schedules/routines/equipment etc. I have had a PG mom and she was sad to leave, I was sad to see her go but nothing would change my mind on this (they tried ). I have another PG mom right now and she was going to send DCB to PreK next year. Instead she is keeping him with me and switching the spot out when the baby is old enough the following year.
LK5kids 02:37 PM 01-10-2015
I'm not an infant provider either. I did decide to take an infant to help fill spots when I first opened and YIKES! Just not for me! They Must be one or older. I just know myself and I just can't care for infants.

Really, one and up is fine for me. Hope things go well for you and your decision works out great!
midaycare 03:11 PM 01-10-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
As long as it is one infant at a time, I think it is manageable. I have an older crew (been with me for years), and I took an infant from the summer until last week (termed), and another infant pt. I could manage when one was there, but with two, I really didn't have time for the big kids, in the way that I like to, I just didn't have time between bottles, diapers, and baby food spoon feeding. Since that baby is now gone, I feel like I can breath again! On the days the pt dcb is here, I can juggle it all- but I don't think I would take more than one ever again. I do think it's smart business to take babies, then you are guaranteed a few years. It's hard to find older kids around here, too.
This is me, too. One at a time. I prefer not to have infants but will take them.
jenboo 04:48 PM 01-10-2015
I have two infants and 4 two year olds. The infants aren't really much extra work for me.
They both take a morning nap at the same time. I use this time to do activities with the older kids.
Both of their feeding schedules work with the other kids'.
I don't have any equipment or designated baby area.
Both infants nap in the afternoon at the same time as the other kids.

To me, there isn't that huge of a difference.
originalkat 06:50 PM 01-10-2015
Thank you everyone for your input. All of your comments have helped me think through this decision. I am still deciding, but I am leaning toward taking the baby.
originalkat 06:51 PM 01-10-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I have two infants and 4 two year olds. The infants aren't really much extra work for me.
They both take a morning nap at the same time. I use this time to do activities with the older kids.
Both of their feeding schedules work with the other kids'.
I don't have any equipment or designated baby area.
Both infants nap in the afternoon at the same time as the other kids.

To me, there isn't that huge of a difference.
Jenboo,
What time do they take their morning nap in order to get them to nap at the same time as the older kids in the afternoon? My pm nap is 1-3 pm.
jenboo 07:14 PM 01-10-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Jenboo,
What time do they take their morning nap in order to get them to nap at the same time as the older kids in the afternoon? My pm nap is 1-3 pm.
930-11am. My afternoon nap is also 1-3.
My younger infant occasionally falls asleep around 9. He arrives at 745 and sleeps in the car on the way over.
Controlled Chaos 07:50 PM 01-10-2015
I take babies. In a perfect world I would have 15m - 4 year olds only BUT I like training the babies early. I am reminded of this whenever I take a new older child who has lots of bad habits and it takes months and months to get them trained. There are some logistical issues, safe space for baby tummy time, bottles, separate space to nap at different times, but I think it is worth it. And people are ALWAYS looking for infant care around here.
originalkat 08:12 AM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I take babies. In a perfect world I would have 15m - 4 year olds only BUT I like training the babies early. I am reminded of this whenever I take a new older child who has lots of bad habits and it takes months and months to get them trained. There are some logistical issues, safe space for baby tummy time, bottles, separate space to nap at different times, but I think it is worth it. And people are ALWAYS looking for infant care around here.
Good Point.
originalkat 08:13 AM 01-12-2015
Originally Posted by jenboo:
930-11am. My afternoon nap is also 1-3.
My younger infant occasionally falls asleep around 9. He arrives at 745 and sleeps in the car on the way over.
Good to know. Hopefully I can get the baby on this same type of schedule.
Tags:infant care
Reply Up