Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Destructive 3 yr old and Ignorant DCM
PitterPatter 09:10 PM 03-21-2012
Just need some ideas please. I have a 3 yr old DCB who is sometimes destructive. Sometimes by accident and others on purpose. I use time out as a way to get him away from the toy he broke. He has broken a few things around the home as well. Purposly ripped off a windsock outside. Purposley threw a ceramic bird off of the porch shattering it.... Just a couple examples over the past yr.

I was so proud of the new felt board I made yesterday. It is double sided hinged, (forms a triangle when open to play) inside the backs are fabric slotted compartments to keep all the felt pieces right with the board. I introduced it and the new felt pieces I made. It was a big hit!! Until clean up. DCB was pulling on it to get it away from another child. Before I could get his hands off of it he had grabbed the back pocket and yanked ripping the new fabric which was not cheap! (I had it tacked down under the seams by a staple gun and that allowed it to tear easier I guess) I scolded him and asked why he ripped that. He shrugged his shoulders like always. He had no problem sitting in time out didnt phase him as it was clean up time anyway.

DCM comes and I talked to her about it. I told her we had to come up with something to stop his destruction. She just looks at me. I told her the effort put into that board (made on real wood BTW not cardboard like my last) She just looked around at the kids playing. Then said "boooobbbyyy" in a whining i dont want to correct my kid tone like she ALWAYS says and thats ALL she ever says is a dragged out name like they know better RIGHT! I told Bobby to come out of the yard and talk to us. He was told 4 times by me and 3 times by her. He looked up the first 2 times then went on ignoring us swinging and then running around. I had another child in the house to potty (SA) so I couldnt leave in case they got into something otherwise I would have went down and retrieved him. I don't think it was too much to expect the DCM to make her child come discuss it so we could correct him together. She just laughed it off and said he's too busy playing.

I went on with my complaint... I told her time away from the toys isnt working so what does she suggest. She just went on to tell me "thats ok he did this... and that... at home" It's not ok, so how do we fix it? She says she doesnt know and says "come one sweetie lets go" Sweetie? After he just ignored us and broke a new project? She goes gets him from the yard and I tell her we should talk to bobby together before she leaves. She looked down at him and said "stop breaking stuff" he said "k" and they left.

He doesnt cause damage every day but I'm just tired of him thinking he can do what he wants and DCM thinking it's ok! She should have at least made him come out of the yard and talk with us!

I am so fed up with the no where talks with DCM no matter the issues she just drags out the name like they know better and says don't... again. It doesn't stop! Anyone have any ideas? I didn't buy the felt but I did buy the materials and take over an hour making all of it. I wanted to tell her she has to replace the material but she will say they don't have the money. I fight to get paid pennies a day!

I welcome any thoughts to change this situation. TIA!
Up