Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Posting on Facebook
Oneluckymom 10:06 AM 07-13-2012
Hey guys, I have a daycare page on facebook and I was wondering what you all post on your own page if you have one. Do you post everyday or a few times a week , etc. TIA
My Lil' Monkeys 10:28 AM 07-13-2012
I post many times a week with pictures of what we are doing -- arts and crafts we have done, us baking, playing inside and out, field trips, and anything else cute. Plus, Closing reminders and any other info they need to know.
Sugar Magnolia 10:48 AM 07-13-2012
Originally Posted by My Lil' Monkeys:
I post many times a week with pictures of what we are doing -- arts and crafts we have done, us baking, playing inside and out, field trips, and anything else cute. Plus, Closing reminders and any other info they need to know.
Exactly this! I try to post daily, usually of an activity we are doing. Parents like to see their kids doing things they really enjoy.
Kiki 11:43 AM 07-13-2012
Originally Posted by My Lil' Monkeys:
This for me too. Although I'll be honest, I haven't updated this week. It's only been my own children and one other DCG here so its been a pretty laid back week. I also have my menu posted as a note for parents, and we use the calendar for closings/special events.
Fruitloops1 12:06 PM 07-13-2012
I just started advertising for my daycare. So now I just post about updates about things going on. I am having a mural painted this weekend and once that is done I will post pictures of that. I figure once I actually enroll children I will post pictures of activities that we do.
Buxterboo 01:01 PM 07-13-2012
Are these private profiles/groups, or public? I am nervous to have too much info or ANY pics of kids up online...
Kiki 01:09 PM 07-13-2012
Originally Posted by Buxterboo:
Are these private profiles/groups, or public? I am nervous to have too much info or ANY pics of kids up online...
Public/no names, all of my parents sign a basic photo release form that gives me permission to use their children's photos on both my Facebook and website.
melskids 02:02 PM 07-13-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
Public/no names, all of my parents sign a basic photo release form that gives me permission to use their children's photos on both my Facebook and website.
This for me too.

I post pics, cute things the kids say, other articles I find interesting, updates of things we're doing, closings, that sort of thing. Basically anything that would go in my paper newsletter.

I have found, in this day with the younger parents, they are more likely to notice a FB update, and read them, then if I send a ton of papers home all the time.
Oneluckymom 04:14 PM 07-13-2012
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas. I've had it for awhile but haven't really used till now. It's nice to see what everyone else does.
Nickel 08:43 PM 07-13-2012
Great question!!! I would love to do a facebook page when my dc is up and running. Does anyone know if I can do a private group profile? One that only the parents can access? I'd feel more comfortable that way but not sure it can be done. Wouldn't all their friends see it too?
justgettingstarted 11:02 PM 07-13-2012
I post on FB everyday mostly pics of what the kids are up to so parents can check in and so they can talk about their day later in the evening. All of my parents LOVE that I do this. I "friend" only parents of currently enrolled kids and have customized privacy settings to make absolutely sure no one else can view the pics. This is important because FB does not make it easy to keep your privacy.
Kiki 06:55 AM 07-14-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
Great question!!! I would love to do a facebook page when my dc is up and running. Does anyone know if I can do a private group profile? One that only the parents can access? I'd feel more comfortable that way but not sure it can be done. Wouldn't all their friends see it too?
Just make a normal profile page, and put everything to 'Friends Only', and I mean EVERYTHING. And don't tag; if you tag, their friends can see.
The only issue I see with private pages is the fact that you'll have to remove pictures once children leave your care if you're worried about other people viewing them, but if you don't see it as an issue I wouldn't worry about it.
Even with a private page, make sure they sign a photo release, just change the wording in one to state that the pictures are for private viewing of current families only.

E:I Just wanted to add that I prefer the public option on my pages because I like people who are interested in my day care to be able to see what a day here is really like. I'm not a fan of generic stock photos; I want people to be able to see how we really are. In this day and age, I think the chances of a parent not being OK with their child's photo on a website will be pretty slim. (And yes, I know, there are those out there that are not OK with it.) Also-editing software (free ones: GIMP/Picasa so on) makes it easy to blur faces nowadays so you are still able to use photos.
Nickel 11:17 AM 07-15-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
Just make a normal profile page, and put everything to 'Friends Only', and I mean EVERYTHING. And don't tag; if you tag, their friends can see.
The only issue I see with private pages is the fact that you'll have to remove pictures once children leave your care if you're worried about other people viewing them, but if you don't see it as an issue I wouldn't worry about it.
Even with a private page, make sure they sign a photo release, just change the wording in one to state that the pictures are for private viewing of current families only.

E:I Just wanted to add that I prefer the public option on my pages because I like people who are interested in my day care to be able to see what a day here is really like. I'm not a fan of generic stock photos; I want people to be able to see how we really are. In this day and age, I think the chances of a parent not being OK with their child's photo on a website will be pretty slim. (And yes, I know, there are those out there that are not OK with it.) Also-editing software (free ones: GIMP/Picasa so on) makes it easy to blur faces nowadays so you are still able to use photos.
If I do have a private page can I make some of my photos or information available to the public. For instance, I'd like them to see my home (without children), my general location, hours I'm open and my website, but I don't want them to have access to events, notices, or photos of the children. I might post some on my website (when I get them ) with the parent's consent, but I don't want some weirdo to see them whenever they want. The children's safety and privacy is very important to me. And I honestly would not want my children's pictures out there all over the internet either (I have every one in little categories now, so only personal friends and family have access to my info.)

Does anyone have a photo release form I can see that works for them? I'll have to search for one, but if anyone has one specifically for dc it would help tia
EchoMom 03:58 PM 07-15-2012
Can anyone share their daycare facebook pages? If anyone's is public I'd love to see it for ideas, I'd never thought of this before!!!
Blackcat31 05:56 PM 07-15-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
If I do have a private page can I make some of my photos or information available to the public. For instance, I'd like them to see my home (without children), my general location, hours I'm open and my website, but I don't want them to have access to events, notices, or photos of the children. I might post some on my website (when I get them ) with the parent's consent, but I don't want some weirdo to see them whenever they want. The children's safety and privacy is very important to me. And I honestly would not want my children's pictures out there all over the internet either (I have every one in little categories now, so only personal friends and family have access to my info.)

Does anyone have a photo release form I can see that works for them? I'll have to search for one, but if anyone has one specifically for dc it would help tia
Check out this site http://thedaycarelady.com/form.htm and go to the bottom where it says "Forms P through Z" In that area is a nice permission to photograph form that you can print off and use.

Oh, and as far as Facebook goes, you can set each and every post and photo so that certain people (friends/public/no one/ friends of friends) can see what is there. Every entry (post) and photo you post is individually customizable so you can choose who does and doesn't see.
Nickel 06:51 PM 07-15-2012
Thanks Blackcat!!! I never even thought about the individual post thing. i can set my settings default as private and then set public to individual posts that I want everyone to see! I love this option! Thanks again. I'll be looking at that tonight!
Tags:facebook
Reply Up