Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
New Members - Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum!>How Long Did It Take For You To Fill Your Open Spots?
Kellbell 06:56 PM 05-19-2013
Hi everyone,
I plan on starting a home daycare business but wonder how long it would take on average to fill open spots. I would have to take on 4-5 full time kids to make enough to pay the bills.

I plan on implementing
*webcam viewing of the play area for enrolled parents
*homemade and healthy foods
*complimentary coffee for parents at drop-off

Also
*There is a park with a playground 3 houses over so the kids could play.
*I have a fenced in yard and driveway

This is risky for me because I will need to put down over a grand in supplies to get everything set up and I am unemployed at the moment.

Let me know what you all think.... I would greatly appreciate it.
Familycare71 08:12 PM 05-19-2013
It really depends on your area. For me it would take a while to fill 4-5 full time spots- but I am sure there are others on here that would have no problem. I live in a more rural area and there is plenty of care available except for infants. I have been a provider for 14 years and I have def hit dry spells too- with only one or two kids... You have to be prepared for that. Also there is no unemployment... If you are empty- that's it until you can fill the spots- I've never been completely with out children but down to two at times. I can have 6 pre school total and 2 school agers.
Hope that helps
snbauser 06:27 AM 05-20-2013
It depends on your area, the time of the year, the need in your area, your rates, and many other factors. In many cases it can take 6 months just to get your first child enrolled. If you have your own children it might be a little faster but many parents are hesitant for their kids to be the first ones enrolled. Many providers will fill within the first few weeks while others will take a year or so to be full.
LK5kids 11:47 AM 05-20-2013
Hi, I am back doing family child care after holding a different job for 14 yrs. The time of year is important and your state licensing regulations make a difference on how much $$$ it will take and how long. Winter can be a bad time. Spring/summer seems to be the time people are looking.

I started near the holidays-2012. Bad idea! I opened with three part - time kids from word of mouth and one classified ad in the paper. I didn't start getting calls until Feb. they came in slow and many were for infants.

I had a full- time infant spot reserved for March. He started beginning of March.

I had about one call a week. I can only take 3 unrelated children and three related children until I am licensed. If the licensing procedure didn't take so long in my state I could have been full by April. I lost kids because I couldn't take them due to licensing being in progress.

I now have one related child gone for the summer because mom is a teacher and is n maternity leave.

I have one full- time infant, and three part-time kids as of now. I have two full-time spots reserved upon being licensed and one part-time. Hopefully they finalize my application REAL soon. My two that are gone for the summer will be back in August and I will be @ capacity.

I worked at a family agency for 14 yrs, taught kindergarten in there for 3 yrs and also had a family child care for 10 yrs before my job at at the agency.

So you see a lot of people know me in my area, and the work I have done with kids. This is a small town - 7,000, so word gets around. It still took awhile to get calls, calls for above 2 yrs and to finalize everthing for licensing. Also it is very rural and is a low income county. That plays into things too....your demographics.

I think you have to be prepared for at least six months of very little income. If more families enroll quickly and if you plan to licensed and it doesn't take too long, you may possibly fill fast and have income right away.

We also were forking over $$$$$$$ right and left to get things up to code for
Licensing.

These are just some things to consider. Ask around and try to find out if area providers are full, if they consistently get calls, etc. Also, how many group care centers are in your area? I have three, but I have families that switched to me, one from each of the big centers and they are coming here now. But it is good to consider how many centers ( FCC or large group ) are in your area and how you wil stand out, so to adequately compete.

This is lots of info! Hope it is helpful!
sunlight 02:27 PM 05-20-2013
I've been a child care provider since 2000. I remember at the time of my inspection for a license I had 0 children. That's right 0. I kinda felt stupid having my state certifier come out and do this whole inspection with no kids enrolled. That was in February of 2000. Slowly I started with a full time little girl and her sister that went to scholl and I watched her after school. Then a couple months later a little boy. By the summer they were all laid off. Then I picked up two little brothers and so on. The first 2-3 years were slow. But for the last couple years I have a waiting list. My advice is after you do fill your spots keep interviewing and advertising and start a wait list. That way you are covered for unexpected departures.

Good luck and stick with it!
misslori50 03:46 PM 08-20-2013
WOW 1000 to get started. that seems pretty high. Hit the yard sales and the thrift stores. Ask your friends for things. I made my own sleep mats. It is expensive to get licensed. I am really struggling with that.
Sunnyyy1 03:49 PM 08-26-2013
Originally Posted by misslori50:
WOW 1000 to get started. that seems pretty high. Hit the yard sales and the thrift stores. Ask your friends for things. I made my own sleep mats. It is expensive to get licensed. I am really struggling with that.

Misslori50, How did you make your sleep mats??
Reply Up