Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Inappropriate Footwear?
daycarediva 04:14 AM 11-28-2012
Have you had to spell it out for parents as to what is/isn't appropriate to wear to daycare?

DCG(3) came yesterday in just below the knee zip up patent leather boots with a heel and could NOT play in them. DCB (almost 4, and the most uncoordinated child) came today in cowboy boots, with a good 1/2" heel. He told me after Mom left that he just fell outside.

Last week I had a kiddo come in crocs and socks. It's 28* out, and we have snow.
Mom&Provider 04:44 AM 11-28-2012
I'm struggling with this also! I recently had a DCM drop off her little one in high top sneakers that are too big!? They fit very snug around the ankle and are very difficult to get on given there is no structure to the "high top" part and little one curls his toes when I try to get them on...not to mention they apear to be at least 1" too big!? She said she felt they were too big, but the sales girl said they were not...I'm thinking they didn't make them any smaller and she wanted a sale, so told Mom whatever it took! LOL!

I'm thinking of just telling her to send DCB in something else as they are just too time consuming to put on...but she also said she'll be getting him boots this week, so that will solve my problem anyway! I'd just mention to parents, even send home a note so you don't need to single anyone out, about appropriate footwear and what is best to send this time of year for comfort and play.
Meyou 04:56 AM 11-28-2012
I tell them that the footwear is not appropriate for daycare and they need to bring XYZ so their child will be warm, comfortable and safe. I've sent parents home for boots without thinking twice about it. It's winter...kids wear boots. If I can manage for the day with what's provided (sneakers on a day I would prefer boots but it isn't 100% needed) then I will warn them in the morning and remind them at pickup for tomorrow.
KristinLynn 07:16 AM 11-28-2012
I have had to spell it out for more people then I'd care to count. But crocs in the snow?! That just seems negligent to me..
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 11-28-2012
Yes, I actually spell out what kids are required to have for proper and safe footwear at my house.

I don't care what they arrive in so long as they have warm, well fitting winter boots in the winter months and closed toed, athletic shoes WITH laces in the summer time.

I don't allow Crocs, sandals or any other footwear that could impede our walks or endanger the kids while playing outside which we do every day in every season.
littlemissmuffet 09:14 AM 11-28-2012
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Have you had to spell it out for parents as to what is/isn't appropriate to wear to daycare?
YES! So ridiculous!

If I catch it when the child is dropped off I send the parent AND child back home to get proper footwear. If I don't catch it until we're ready to go out, I call a parent to bring me appropriate footwear within 20 minutes. If it continues happening I require the parents leave a pair of appropriate footwear at my house for the entire season.
melilley 09:36 AM 11-28-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
YES! So ridiculous!

If I catch it when the child is dropped off I send the parent AND child back home to get proper footwear. If I don't catch it until we're ready to go out, I call a parent to bring me appropriate footwear within 20 minutes. If it continues happening I require the parents leave a pair of appropriate footwear at my house for the entire season.
Good idea!
SunshineMama 09:54 AM 11-28-2012
I had a 2 year old girl come the other day in black patent leather mary janes and no tennis shoe backups.

We still went outside to play as normal, and I mentioned to mom at pickup that we go outside everyday, so its better to wear clothing that she doesnt mind getting dirty.

She has come in tennis shoes every day since.
Unregistered 06:46 AM 12-06-2019
I have this little girl that comes from a poor household. Her indoor shoes is totally open in the front and I can see her toes slipping through it all the time. They’re pretty much slides at this point. I love this family so much and I want to help as much as I can. Would it be inappropriate to but this girl new shoes as mom can’t afford it? Even if I gave it to mom so mom can give it.
Baby Beluga 06:54 AM 12-06-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have this little girl that comes from a poor household. Her indoor shoes is totally open in the front and I can see her toes slipping through it all the time. They’re pretty much slides at this point. I love this family so much and I want to help as much as I can. Would it be inappropriate to but this girl new shoes as mom can’t afford it? Even if I gave it to mom so mom can give it.
I don't think so. If you're able to help, in this situation I would

I would also gather some resources for mom that may help her in the future.
Cat Herder 07:03 AM 12-06-2019
I buy shoes, gloves, hats and a coat for at least one family per year. Some years I end up providing the majority of clothing. I never "bought them for your kid", I always "cleaned out my stash and this fits your kid, please take it to help me clear up some space".

Many of my past/present clients also pass down clothes to me to give to other kids in my care. Our local donation centers have annual $1 per bag days that I hit up for jeans, sweatshirts, coats, shoes and jackets.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 12-06-2019
How little or how much a provider is involved with a family is strictly up to the provider and their comfort level.
Cat Herder 07:17 AM 12-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How little or how much a provider is involved with a family is strictly up to the provider and their comfort level.
Exactly this.

I enjoy putting together the outfits. I am an empty nester. It is fun for me. I also like them coming in functional clothing that does not limit our days.
flying_babyb 08:05 AM 12-07-2019
Nope, we have a struggling family that are new to the country. They came with very little. The youngest boy wheres his sisters hand me downs (think pink dora the explorer shirts and cheetah print pants). When he showed up in a pink coat another parent donated a coat her child outgrrew and the teachers found some clothes from there kids to donate. The mom CRIED! we also bought all the kids some winter mittens.
Jo123ABC 07:18 PM 12-07-2019
I have the shoe problems too but to get completely off subject, I have a parent that sneaks candy into her kid's pockets sometimes for some unknown reason. One time I noticed his brand new white sweatshirt had huge brown stains that weren't there at drop off. Turns out he had unwrapped his candy bar or they came loose during play and it melted in his pocket. He never brought that sweatshirt back and usually doesn't have candy in his pocket anymore. He does come with a huge jug of iced coffee, gaterade, etc, random toys and coins still sometimes though
CeriBear 05:49 AM 12-12-2019
I have the shoe issues too but for me it is worse in the warmer months. Some parents send the kids in flip flops or crocs which are totally inappropriate for climbing on the playground equipment.
Tags:footwear
Reply Up