Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Do- I'm Done
greenhouse 03:27 PM 02-24-2012
So I'm wrapping up my first year of being a provider and I'm so ready to quit. My DCF told me this week they think dcd is getting laid off in 2 months, but there is a chance he may line something else up by then and he'll find something else eventually. I feel guilty and horrible but I just can't do it anymore. Watching dcb has prevented me from taking in other clients just because I have been so overwhelmed by him. Now that I might consider another client the phone had not been ringing the past few months anyway. I can not listen to non-stop tears and screaming 5 days a week anymore. I'm sick of the constant germs. My own child would live outside if he could, dcb just screams his head off the whole time ruining our experience. So, I'm totally scarred by this whole experience and want to take a break. Should I write a letter letting then know I will be closing on the date they gave me for the possible lay off? I'm his second provider since last year. I hate doing this to them, but I know my limits and he brings out the worst in me sometimes. I know I have to end it. I feel like he needs a nanny. So what should I do and how soon should I do it?
e.j. 05:47 PM 02-24-2012
If you are as unhappy being a provider as you say, you need to do what's best for you and your family and give the family notice. You gave it a good try; no need to feel guilty or horrible.

If you think you can stand watching their child for another 2 months, let them know you will stop providing care on the date they gave you. If you don't think you can stand it for another 2 months, give them a date that works best for you. Either way, I'd give them written notice as soon as possible and personally, I'd speak with them face to face as well. I'd just explain that regardless of what happens with Dad's job, you plan to stop doing child care so they should start looking for another provider. Maybe they'll find someone else sooner than later and you'll be off the hook.
themoorethemerrier 05:50 PM 02-24-2012
If you really feel that he's bringing out the worst in you and you can't do it any longer, it's time to tell them. Overcome the guilt; it's be better for the dcb to be with someone that is able to give him the care that he needs, right?

If you have a contract, go by that. If not, I'd stick to two weeks. Enjoy some time with your son and then decide whether you want to take on another dcf.

Good luck.
littlemissmuffet 06:22 PM 02-24-2012
Originally Posted by greenhouse:
So I'm wrapping up my first year of being a provider and I'm so ready to quit. My DCF told me this week they think dcd is getting laid off in 2 months, but there is a chance he may line something else up by then and he'll find something else eventually. I feel guilty and horrible but I just can't do it anymore. Watching dcb has prevented me from taking in other clients just because I have been so overwhelmed by him. Now that I might consider another client the phone had not been ringing the past few months anyway. I can not listen to non-stop tears and screaming 5 days a week anymore. I'm sick of the constant germs. My own child would live outside if he could, dcb just screams his head off the whole time ruining our experience. So, I'm totally scarred by this whole experience and want to take a break. Should I write a letter letting then know I will be closing on the date they gave me for the possible lay off? I'm his second provider since last year. I hate doing this to them, but I know my limits and he brings out the worst in me sometimes. I know I have to end it. I feel like he needs a nanny. So what should I do and how soon should I do it?
You said it yourself - "I know I have to end it". You need to let this family know that you can no longer provide care to them. ASAP.
greenhouse 03:09 AM 02-25-2012
Thanks ladies. My husband is pushing me to end it now, but I will give them the date they gave me. Knowing there is an end point will help me get through. We were talking about it some more last night. I think I will take the summer off and then decide wether I should turn in my liscense or try again. I do love kids and little ones- but this deeply unhappy little guy has been so hard to love and I feel bad saying that its just left me depleted and with migraines by the of the day. I wish I had termed after the 2 week trial!! Lesson learned. Once a crier, always a crier.
saved4always 06:11 AM 02-25-2012
Thanks ladies. My husband is pushing me to end it now, but I will give them the date they gave me. Knowing there is an end point will help me get through. We were talking about it some more last night. I think I will take the summer off and then decide wether I should turn in my liscense or try again. I do love kids and little ones- but this deeply unhappy little guy has been so hard to love and I feel bad saying that its just left me depleted and with migraines by the of the day. I wish I had termed after the 2 week trial!! Lesson learned. Once a crier, always a crier.
That is wonderful that your husband is supportive of terming. It sounds like this is so affecting you physically. If I am too stressed, I tend to get even more headaches than usual. I hope that just knowing there is an end in site will help with the frequency of your migraines. I have 3 kids that I watch now that are all awesome. I have termed some who made me miserable in the past which got me to where I could truly love all my little ones. If you decide to go back into daycare after the summer, I hope you will get some really great kids and parents next time around...they ARE out there.
cheerfuldom 06:28 AM 02-25-2012
I think you should term asap and try again with a different child. I had two really tough kids as some of my first kids. They were not bad kids but terribly unhappy in the daycare environment. Once I let them go and moved on to a new start with other kids, it was a whole new world! But sometimes you just need a break and there is nothing wrong with that. I am taking the summer and fall off from daycare after doing this for 5 years because I know have three kids under 5 and have reached by own personal limit.
momma2girls 02:23 PM 02-25-2012
You definately live and learn in this type of work, don't you???
Tags:burned out, burnout, overwhelmed
Reply Up