Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What a Day
boysx5 04:23 PM 06-15-2010
well I'm watching one of my dcg sibling who is almost six but going on sixteen her parents never tell her no so therefore she thinks she can do what she wants here. Well today we were taking a walk back from the park and she told her two year old sister it was okay to cross the street I was like no you are not allowed to tell the kids what to do that is my job. Well she got upset and started to cry because I told her she did something wrong and said she wanted to go home I explained that when she comes to my house its my rules and if she didn't like them then that was her choice and can go somewhere else. My husband said I was mean and is sure that she is going to tell her parents that she doesn't want to come here anymore which would be fine with me I really don't like to watch school age children anymore they are more work than ten newborns. Then we get back and I'm cleaning up from lunch and there is a knock on the door it was one of my drop ins moms coming to ask me why I left her a message that I didn't have room this summer for her son and how I didn't give her enough notice. I said well the last two weeks you were at camp and you didn't give me notice where you were so if I had depended on your money I didn't get and you don't pay unless he comes so its my choice to fill my daycare with full time spots and make more money I don't have to come and ask you well she got rude and started pointing her finger in my face got in her car and then asked if I had a spot in the fall for her son I felt like saying after you have been this rude I don't think so. So I just went out and bought some chocolates tomorrow has to be better
Liliya 04:43 PM 06-15-2010
WOW, I too do not like big kids, I have one 6 year old now and she is not that bad, but still always wants something,no nap, wants snack after snack at nap time, I do not have a brake,I am so glad that she is here for the summer only.
After reading this forum for a while I almost scared to take new families, all my families good right now, no problems. All kids I have here came when they were under 2. In September I am going to add 2 more little ones from the same families, but next year 3 will be going to kindergarten. And I am afraid of what would I get. I would not take her son in the fall after that, I would tell her sorry, but I am full.
MarinaVanessa 04:50 PM 06-15-2010
I hope the chocolates were for you.
Liliya 05:05 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I hope the chocolates were for you.
You are so funny
sahm2three 05:06 PM 06-15-2010
I have a little boy that likes to micro-manage me too, and my response to him is, "X, I am in charge here, and I make the rules. You get to just be a kid, so go do that!" LOL!
Unregistered 05:12 PM 06-16-2010
This summer I have four school agers (ages 6-7) and they all seem to think they have the right to try to discipline the younger children. No matter how many times I tell them I am taking care of it, and it's not up to them to punish the others. Or they think they can tell the younger ones what to do, even if it's against one of my rules.
School agers also seem to get the attitude of, "I'm older so I can do what I want", and then try to do whatever they want, even if it's against the rules. School agers take their time at listening to what they're told to do and all that kind of stuff. BUT, I am enjoying having some older children here this summer because it's a nice break having older children that I don't have to keep a CONSTANT eye on, plus their attention spans are a little longer, so the activities keep them busy longer than it does the younger children. You can have more fun with them too, while playing games or other activities, since they're actually playing rather than trying to eat the pieces (or run around aimlessly, not understanding the rules of duck duck goose, for example, no matter how many times you explain it).
But then, preschool and school age is where most of my experience is, and what I enjoy most. Since starting daycare (having mostly toddlers-4 yr olds), I have learned to enjoy those times with older children! But some people enjoy the toddlers or babies better, so I guess it's all in the personal interests of the providers.
Janet 07:25 PM 06-16-2010
Sometimes it really sucks to have school age kids, but then sometimes it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I think it comes down to what the school aged child's expectations are, what the parents expectations are and most importantly, what my expectations are. It is my home and my business after all! The only choice in the matter that I give is the choice to the parents to abide by my rules and stay or find somewhere else to take their kids. School agers tend to think that the rules don't apply to them. The parents can sometimes think that their school age kid is the exception to my rules. Not so. I have school age kids every summer and I never change the rules to accommodate the childs personal preference. They don't have to sleep at nap time if they are over 6, BUT they do have to be very quiet. I have other kids to think about. They have to wait for me to be outside in order to play outside even though their mom's and dad's said it was OK to play outside while I'm inside with the napping kids. WHAT???? Ummmm....no! My house, my rules. Plain and simple. Also, school age kids sometimes try to help a little too much, and I just nip it in the bud right away before they start getting a little too big for their britches. I just tell them that I get paid to do my job, and it's their job to be kids and have fun! On a positive note, I do get to branch out over the summer with lesson plans which is always fun, and I've been fortunate enough to have school age kids that grew up with me so I don't have to train them! It helps when they've been coming here for years. Doesn't leave much room for surprises.
Tags:6 years old, cry, rules
Reply Up