Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Weight loss
wdmmom 11:17 AM 05-31-2012
With the weather changing and our summer vacation coming up, I have started buckling down, watching what I eat and exercising daily.

This past week I've walked 19 miles!!! To me this is a huge feat but the scale only shows a loss of 1.2 pounds! This has me really confused, exhausted and questioning if my goal is even attainable. (13 pounds is 6 weeks)

From everyone I've talked to, they've all said that I'm doing it right and that my goal isn't out of reach but I'm really beginning to question it if the weight loss for the week is only 1.2 pounds! Seriously?! I feel like rolling my eyes. There is no cheer in 1 pound!
JeepGirl6 11:27 AM 05-31-2012
I have been on diet since January 17th. I have lost a total of 19.2lbs, I have another 30 to go before my wedding in October. A healthy weight loss is 1-2lbs a week, so you 1.2lbs is great! I lost 10lbs within 2 months...Try this website...its called myfitnesspal.com, I wouldn't be where I am without it! I love the website and it really helps motivate you and helps you stick to your goal. Remember to measure yourself too because losing inches will show more than losing the lbs. Last month I had lost only 2 lbs BUT lost a total of 9inches from doing Jillian Michael s 30 Day Shred, its a great workout dvd.
Kym2098 11:33 AM 05-31-2012
Any loss is good! But I know how you feel when you put in extra effort and only see small progress, been there!
Don't give up! Next week is a new week and if you work just as hard hopefully the number will be more weightlloss!
I have a Disney cruise in Nov. and I am on the road to weight loss too, I'm trying to lose 5lbs a month, so far I've lost this month's goal!

About 3 yrs ago I lost 60 pounds, I walked, walked, walked, which led to some jogging... But some cardio was definately the trick! Some weeks were tough when the scale didn't move, but then there were weeks that I saw big progress!

Best of luck!
littlemissmuffet 11:34 AM 05-31-2012
I never go by what the scale says - I go by how I feel... and how my clothes fit! Muscle weighs more than fat, and it's likely that you are gaining muscle with all this additional excersizing (and good for you, by the way) - so nevermind what the scale is telling you!!!

Excersize is SO important - especially for people with maximum stress (and what DCP doesn't have that?) so do not give up. There is absolutely no benefit to quitting excersize - in no time you will start seeing and feeling the endless endless benefits of continuing!
MyAngels 11:35 AM 05-31-2012
JeepGirl6 is right, it's not always about the pounds, but how you look and feel. I lost 70 lbs a few years ago, and my weight loss was all over the place. I'd lose 3 lbs in a week, then nothing, then 1, then gain 1, etc. At first it was really frustrating, but as I stuck to my plan I found that it began to even out.

Also, water consumption has a lot to do with it, too. The more water I drink (consistently through the day) the better I feel and the more weight I tend to lose (when I'm trying to lose, that is).

Sounds like you're on the right track - keep up the good work .
sharlan 11:52 AM 05-31-2012
Good luck with your efforts.

I started a diet 3 1/2 wks ago. I'm doing the calorie counting thing and aiming for 1200 calories a day. So far I've lost 19 lbs and dropped my morning blood sugar by 60 - 70 pts. I've been doing a little bit of walking, but definitely not enough.

I'm not a fan of water, but am drinking lots of iced tea (plain, no sugar).
wahmof3 11:55 AM 05-31-2012
LOTS OF WATER!!!! You need to drink at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water. (per day)

Good luck- I am 5 pounds from my goal

So far I've lost and kept off 25 pounds since January!!!!
MarinaVanessa 12:41 PM 05-31-2012
Don't go by the scale, keep track of the inches. You may be losing fat but gaining muscle and muscle is heavier than fat. Also the average healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week. Generally speaking unless you have the direct and regular supervision of a physician anything higher than that is unhealthy. Looks like you're doing well to me.
SunshineMama 12:47 PM 05-31-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
With the weather changing and our summer vacation coming up, I have started buckling down, watching what I eat and exercising daily.

This past week I've walked 19 miles!!! To me this is a huge feat but the scale only shows a loss of 1.2 pounds! This has me really confused, exhausted and questioning if my goal is even attainable. (13 pounds is 6 weeks)

From everyone I've talked to, they've all said that I'm doing it right and that my goal isn't out of reach but I'm really beginning to question it if the weight loss for the week is only 1.2 pounds! Seriously?! I feel like rolling my eyes. There is no cheer in 1 pound!
That is a great accomplishment! Remember, as you are working out, you are building muscle, which weighs more than fat. You are also doing things for your body that you cannot see, like exercising your heart and improving your circulation. You are elongating your life and improving the quality too! Keep it up! Set small goals and do not get dicouraged by the scale! It takes as much time to take it off as it did to put it on You're on the right track!
Country Kids 12:48 PM 05-31-2012
I've heard 1/2 pound a week is idea but I don't think 2lbs would be bad. You want to lose weight as slow as possible so your body doesn't go into a fat hoarding mode.

If you start losing weight to fast, your body thinks its "starving" and will hang on to the weight. Also, the faster you lose weight the faster you will put it back on and actually gain more on top of that.

Tomorrow hubs and I are starting a weight loss challenge. It was for a month but I think we will go for the summer. We are going to take measurements,weight, the whole bit! I'm so excited!!!!!
Reply Up