Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Is Not As Parent Describes
CraftyMom 07:05 AM 02-06-2014
Anyone else find that when a new child starts and the parents are gushing over them and emphasizing certain characteristics, usually it's the exact opposite of what they say? Such as "dcb LOVES to share he is SO good at it!" then it turns out this ends up being the kid who has the worst time sharing! I have come across this type of thing several times and find it a bit amusing
I now know that when a parent is overly emphasizing something I should expect the opposite
CraftyMom 07:08 AM 02-06-2014
Another one is "dcg is a wonderful eater and sleeper!"
This is the child that does not eat or sleep
Cat Herder 07:19 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
"dcb LOVES to share he is SO good at it!"
..."he likes to share Mommies Ipad, Daddys cell phone, cousin Eddies computer.... "

"dcg is a wonderful eater and sleeper!"
....."she just loves nuggets, pizza and mac-n-cheese. DCG catnaps all day long, almost 10 minutes at a time!!!"

Yeah, I think I know what you guys are talking about....
cheerfuldom 07:39 AM 02-06-2014
Kids are almost always opposite of what the parents say. The "easy" ones are bratty and demanding and screaming and the "brats" are so sweet and easy and fun. I don't listen to what parents say about their kids, I just observe at interview and decide for myself.
Unregistered 07:54 AM 02-06-2014
I just wait until the 2nd week to form my own opinion of what their little personalities are likely to be. Pleased this week to find that my new one described as a little whirlwind of energy that does not nap well, is just a normal toddler, maybe even a bit quieter than most. Naps were a complete non issue. Maybe it's all relative and what you are used to.
Play Care 09:01 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Kids are almost always opposite of what the parents say. The "easy" ones are bratty and demanding and screaming and the "brats" are so sweet and easy and fun. I don't listen to what parents say about their kids, I just observe at interview and decide for myself.

The only thing that makes me is when I have a prospective client insist they will be my BEST dc family... Because we all know how that story ends
Meeko 09:32 AM 02-06-2014
Those kind of parents think that if they tell you that Junior is GREAT at sharing and ALWAYS takes a great nap.........when Junior is actually the opposite......that they can then act overly shocked and blame you for the bad behavior when you mention it. It's just a deflecting tactic so they don't have to take responsibility for their lack of parenting. I've seen it so many times.

There is also an "easier" way to describe their kids. A child who tells the provider to shut up and throws things across the room is "very intelligent and high spirited and curious" according to their parents. Nothing to do with no limits set by them of course......

The child who will only eat fast food and drinks only Bug Juice has "a delicate tummy" ...it could never be that Princess has bad habits. Etc. etc. etc.....

CraftyMom 09:48 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Those kind of parents think that if they tell you that Junior is GREAT at sharing and ALWAYS takes a great nap.........when Junior is actually the opposite......that they can then act overly shocked and blame you for the bad behavior when you mention it. It's just a deflecting tactic so they don't have to take responsibility for their lack of parenting. I've seen it so many times.
So true! One dcb who is "such a great sharer" on his first week mom was asking how he's doing, when I said we were working on his sharing, she was all Oh my, that is so surprising! I saw right through her of course!
daycarediva 09:53 AM 02-06-2014
completely potty trained, NEVER has accidents-3 in the first week alone.
MissAnn 10:36 AM 02-06-2014
Another one is "dcg is a wonderful eater and sleeper!"
This is the child that does not eat or sleep
Probably a gifted chicken nugget eater and sleeps with parents.
CraftyMom 10:49 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Probably a gifted chicken nugget eater and sleeps with parents.

Cradle2crayons 10:52 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:

There is also an "easier" way to describe their kids. A child who tells the provider to shut up and throws things across the room is "very intelligent and high spirited and curious" according to their parents. Nothing to do with no limits set by them of course......

The child who will only eat fast food and drinks only Bug Juice has "a delicate tummy" ...it could never be that Princess has bad habits. Etc. etc. etc.....

Those are the same ones we keep catching teething from too!!!!
CraftyMom 12:16 PM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Those are the same ones we keep catching teething from too!!!!
Yes and allergies
Happily_wed 12:21 PM 02-06-2014
Current dcm told me the kids were very well behaved and if they did something they shouldn't all I had to do was tell them once and they would behave. Yeah, not! Oldest was spoiled rotten, extremely hard-headed and in trouble CONSTANTLY. I could put her in time out and she would get out and do the same thing immediately! Fortunately she has grown up a lot and is an easy kid to have here now.
Tags:funny parents, interview, irony, personality traits
Reply Up