Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do You Serve Lunch?
LittleScholars 09:40 AM 03-15-2016
I'm a very new provider, so I'm still working out kinks in our daily routine. Breakfast and snack always go well in my program because I serve healthy, but familiar foods to my daycare kids. The kids eat everything at those meals and always want seconds.

At lunch, I make healthy meals that are a bit more adventurous, but I always serve at least a few familiar foods (particularly the grain and fruits). Other than serving different menu items, what tips do you have for serving to encourage trying new things? I know family style is highly encouraged by the food program here, but I have the least success with that. I'm open to anything short of changing the menu items. I've seen some great ideas while browsing the site, but wasn't sure how to find them again.

Thank you so much!
thrivingchildcarecom 10:34 AM 03-15-2016
Honestly, I am so thankful that the program that I have used since day one (KidKeeper) has 10 different menus to use. I love it because I don't have to think about what to serve or buy, its just about automated for me. Also, it mixes things up quite a bit so no one gets board and the kids are always trying new things.

I take the menu as its given and then experiment with the meal elements, like grilled sandwiches or incorporating a veggie puree where ever I can. I also use a cookbook that uses this philosophy as well. If you want the info on the cookbook, just send me a PM with your email address and I would be happy to share.
laundrymom 11:15 AM 03-15-2016
I offer food. They can choose to be hungry. I have one today who chose three times to put his foot on the table and at the third strike he was excused from lunch. I have one who drank milk, ate a blueberry, ate a slice of cucumber and stopped. He will be hungry. He had the option of eating. He chose not to. He will eat a good snack I'm sure. Or he won't. I offer. They decide if they want to eat. I dont offer seconds until they finish the firsts and I don't argue about meals.
When I started doing this our meals got happier and the kids tried things more readily.
Blackcat31 11:40 AM 03-15-2016
I serve. (Well technically DH cooks and serves.. )

The DCK's eat or don't.

If they don't they're hungry later for sure but there are no alternatives. I dont make a fuss about eating or not eating.

I DONT serve carbs heavy foods or grains for snacks. Too many kids would just learn to wait it out... I serve fresh veggies instead.

ALL my DCK's eat very well.
Even those that started out fairly picky.

There is simply no fanfare about meals or snacks.
Neither positive or negative. Its just a meal/snack.
Tags:lunch
Reply Up