Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Speaking Of Holding Spots And New Babies
daycare 01:09 PM 04-28-2011
here is my current situation.

My DC is ages 18mon to 5 years not enrolled in school. I teach a preschool program 4 days a week with one day of full free explore play

I have 6 kids in my DC, one is mine
Most days i am at my cap, except monday and fridays I have 2 spots open due to a family that has two kid that come tue wed thur. BIG MISTAKE to take that schedule.
all the rest of the kids are full time

I have one family that has a baby 9 months old. when she signed up her child about 9 months ago, I told her sorry I teach so I don't do babies. She wanted her son to come here so bad that she enrolled her baby else where 35min out of her way to work.

Now, the family that i have that has two kids here is on kid number 3.
The other day DCM said are you ready for kid #3 to come here?? I was like waht the heck is she thinking...

the other mom of the infant talked about above caught wind of it and approached me about it. she said well if their new baby gets to come how are you going to teach? what will your apporach be and will my baby also be able to come now since you are taking babies???

Long story short, I have started to think about hiring an asst and increasing my lic. I have had ads running for months and no one to fill them. Of course it is my crazy offer of a monday and a friday schedule....who wants that??

I will have to do a lot to prepare for expansion of my DC and hire an asst. I will also have to spend a lot mroe money to cover the cost of an employee and everthing that goes along with that.

Do you guys think that i am crazy for doing this? would you do it?

I was thinking that if I hire an asst. I can have her take care of the babies and I will teach the class as usual. I wont take in any new babies, only those of current DCF should they have any more children. I would also have to take on two more toddlers for the preschool program to make a profit....

What do you guys think....I am really torn on what to do here....
cheerfuldom 03:08 PM 04-28-2011
First off, how easy is it to fill spots for you? i would want to make sure that I could fill the spots necessary to pay for an assistant.
daycare 03:09 PM 04-28-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
First off, how easy is it to fill spots for you? i would want to make sure that I could fill the spots necessary to pay for an assistant.
well in the past it was always really easy, but I have only had that one funky spot open Monday-Friday (actually two m and F) and I have only filled it once with drop in. Which did not work out..

that is a great point. Becuase If I don't get to full time kids, I wont be making a profit.

thanks for responding to my post... I am going crazy over this...

Most of me says don't do it, part of me say awe heck why not..

I don't want to lose focus of why I have my DC in the first place which is to teach. Hiring an asst and having two babies will pretty much stress me out....lol
Cat Herder 04:50 PM 04-28-2011
It is a hard choice for sure.

It really is hard to do either age well with the other in the room, IMHO.

Also factor in what it would be like with another woman, in your space, with you, ALL day, Every day... Shoot me!!!

First, I can barely deal with DH in "my" kitchen, first aid kits or art supply cabinets. Licensing is tough on that stuff and I keep it "Inspection Ready".

Not to mention that I think I would lose it if I finally had a few quiet moments, after a particularly bad day, and hear someone mumble in my direction the words "Are you mad at me?".

Sometimes quiet is all I want in the world. I have not met another woman who could do it, yet....
daycare 05:11 PM 04-28-2011
ooh I love this site.... I guess I never looked at it from this prospective at all.... NO I could not deal with another woman in my house all day every day. I would go bonkers.... I am major OCD about my house being clean...lol

You just made up my mind for me............thanks so much for the response
Cat Herder 05:12 PM 04-28-2011
Anytime!!!!
Tags:holding spots
Reply Up