Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Here.....
hpresley86 06:23 AM 03-14-2012
New here, just opened my daycare, today actually. I have been preparing for this since last April, and I just have to say, you guys have been a great help. I have lurked here for a while without signing up just reading. Anyways, I have a question....

I have been advertising for 2 weeks for my opening day, and I have had a mom call me 3 times in the past 2 weeks to get her kids into daycare. I had one 3yo starting today and one 5 yo starting friday. I got up at 630 this morning dcb was supposed to be here at 730, and now is a no show an hour later.

Has any one ever had the parent go through all the trouble of coming over, getting to meet the kids, filling out the endless amount of forms and going over the rules and policies, to just not show? She seemed thrilled about him coming here even as she was leaving after filling out the paperwork, and I was sure to explain that if you are a last minute cancellation you are still charged for the day.

Maybe I just had to high of hopes for my first kid! I have a 3 yr old boy myself, and he was so excited to have a kid to play with today
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 03-14-2012
Welcome to the forum!!
Solandia 06:31 AM 03-14-2012
Three words ...deposit upon enrollment. That way, if they find something better, at least you have the deposit money (I alway had one full week's worth of $$ to guarantee enrollment).

Maybe she is just running really, really late. First days are always hard for the parents & kids.
cheerfuldom 06:37 AM 03-14-2012
Call her and get an answer. You should have a late rule (drop offs must be done by 9AM or something like that) and if they dont drop off for the day, they are still charged but cannot drop off after 9. I never did deposits but if a parent does a no show, I immediately consider them un-enrolled and do not take them back. No shows, no calls are immediate termination
hpresley86 06:47 AM 03-14-2012
I have already tried calling and texting her. She had to be to work at 8 and her husband at 7. So Im sure, unless they had an emergency, hes not coming. This is first day killer, I am so excited to have my daycare up and going. I guess the next parent to call me, I will be doing deposits to keep this from happening again. I was sure to well inform her of the policy that you are still charged if you are a no show, and her other child is to start friday. So I will be letting her know if she does call that she is still being charged for today!
bunnyslippers 07:05 AM 03-14-2012
I had this happen once - the woman came over three times, and when I finally asked for a deposit she decided to not come. It is so disheartening - but don't worry about it. The right clients will come along! The flaky ones never work out, so you are probably better off!

Good luck to you ~
MrsB 07:09 AM 03-14-2012
Yeah, I used to have lots of "committed" no showers. No, I always require a one weeks deposit to hold the spot and don't give all the forms until the deposit is paid. Otherwise I continue to interview.
Michael 11:16 AM 03-14-2012
Welcome to the forum!
littlemissmuffet 11:21 AM 03-14-2012
A child isn't considered enrolled in my daycare until all the forms are filled out and returned WITH their holding fee deposit and their first month of care paid (we charge monthly) in CASH. Until that money is in my hand, I continue interviewing.... words are never enough in this business, unfortunately.
daycare 11:25 AM 03-14-2012
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
A child isn't considered enrolled in my daycare until all the forms are filled out and returned WITH their holding fee deposit and their first month of care paid (we charge monthly) in CASH. Until that money is in my hand, I continue interviewing.... words are never enough in this business, unfortunately.

Heidi 11:50 AM 03-14-2012
same here....deposit on enrollment (to be applied to the last week of care), then each week in advance of care (Monday for me, a lot of providers say Friday before).

Welcome to the forum!
Tags:holding spot - fee, no show
Reply Up