Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is she ready for potty training???
thecrazyisout 02:05 PM 01-12-2012
Hi there,

So, I have my own son who is potty training so I only have experience potty training him. Funny, I know! But, I have a DCG that has dry diapers for hours and then suddenly it will be wet. Mom is thinking she is ready and I tend to think so too. The problem is when we put her on the chair, it takes her 15-30 minutes to go....is this a problem for her or am I overlooking that she may not be ready to train....

Thanks!
godiva83 02:21 PM 01-12-2012
Is she showing other signs too?
Like communicating the need to go, or when she is going? Can she pull down her pants? Are her BM's pretty regular?
Is she physically ready?

I think that staying dry for large times is a key ingredient, but there needs to be more or you will be the one being 'trained'

If you have the time and few kids give it a try... What's the harm.

Ask Mum to start the process at home over a long stretch of days off like a long weekend or vacation...even a weekend
kidkair 03:00 PM 01-12-2012
I'd say she's ready to start at home. She needs to learn to release quicker on the potty before you should have to worry about it. If you don't mind and have the time to have her sit then by all means do so because the more experience she has the easier and quicker the potty training will go.
daycare 03:14 PM 01-12-2012
here is how I gage that the child is ready to potty train.

Both parent and provider agree that the signs of readiness are there.

child can verbalize the need to go or are willing to go when asked.
can dress and undress themselves to use the toilet
the PT process always starts at home on a long weekend or when the parent has several days of consistency to work with the child.

once the above happens, the I will start to PT a child.

I will not force a child to go and I will not take them every 35-45 min either. About every 1.5 hours I ask the child to go to the bathroom. They also must stay in pull ups over underwear until they can go accident free for two full weeks here. One accident after that, they go back in pull up.

All children are different. My own son never told me he needed to go, but once I started putting him into a routine of going, he soon realized what to do and after two weeks, he was asking to go.

Honestly, if a child is really ready to PT, it will take about two weeks or less to train them.

I would tell mom, lets try for two weeks and if there is no progress, we stop and try again at a later date and time.

One thing you should tell mom too, is that no matter how much you push the child, if their bladder is not fully matured, you can PT all you want and it won't work. There is nothing that you can do to make the child's bladder mature faster.

good luck.
Blackcat31 04:48 PM 01-12-2012
If she is willing to sit and it isn't a problem for you, her or any of the other kids, then let her sit.

Becoming familiar with not only the process but the toilet itself is normal. I used to have 'sitters' that have sat forever before actually doing anything.

Eventually, they learn to go and be done done quickly....I wouldn't stress.
Reply Up