Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Virus?
Sunchimes 02:17 PM 07-25-2012
My dcm just came by to pay me and said that her daughter was sick. She couldn't remember exactly what he called it--said it was something like invetro virus or in...something virus. He said it was a stomach virus with no diarrhea or throwing up. High fever, no appetite, and lethargy. He said it was highly, highly contagious. (I just went and sanitized everything the mom touched and lysoled the money.)

I've been googling odd combinations that sound like invetro, but can't figure out what it might be. Have you heard of it? I haven't seen the baby since Monday morning, but I need the info in case the other kids were exposed.

Thanks.
Country Kids 02:19 PM 07-25-2012
Can you text the mom and get the correct name. If you do please let us know!
Sunchimes 02:21 PM 07-25-2012
She didn't know the name. I was pushing to get her to remember, but she couldn't. The doctor said it was new or maybe new to our area.
Breezy 02:23 PM 07-25-2012
Could you call your doctor office and ask?
Sunchimes 02:31 PM 07-25-2012
I just tried to call. This is his afternoon off and his office is closed. I'll call back first thing tomorrow if I don't figure it out before then.
kimsdaycare 05:03 PM 07-25-2012
I'm curious too. All I can think of is Enterovirus, but it's not new. Its associated with Hand Foot Mouth though, which is a big problem recently in many areas.
Sunchimes 05:48 PM 07-25-2012
Oh, I'll bet that's it. Maybe he meant it was new to our area or just new to the dcg (she's sick a lot, but she hasn't had this one yet.) Great. I hope the other kids don't catch it.

Thanks! I appeciate it.
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 07-26-2012
If it is an enterovirus, then it is more than likely HFM (hand foot and mouth) as enterovirus 71 (EV-71) is notable as one of the major causative agents for hand, foot and mouth disease (the Coxsackie virus).

The enteroviruses were originally classified into four groups, polioviruses, Coxsackie A viruses (CA), Coxsackie B viruses (CB), and echoviruses.

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=11339
thecrazyisout 07:52 AM 07-26-2012
YES! This is what is going around. Docs are saying it is insane this summer. I had 2 kids get it (NOT FROM MY HOUSE), while they were each on vacation (gone for 2 weeks). They ended up with the HFM. One of them brought it to my house...I was not happy of course, but my son ended up getting the lethargy, fever but not the HFM. UGH, so crazy. But, it is HIGHLY contagious. No one else in my group has contracted it thank God.
Sunchimes 08:00 AM 07-26-2012
Sounds like the same thing. She was here with the other kids for a couple of hours on Monday and got sick Tuesday evening. I warned the other mom. She shrugged it off as no big deal-if they get it, we will deal with it. She's pretty calm about things-so easy to work with.
thecrazyisout 08:08 AM 07-26-2012
That's nice to have. I have parents the same way. They are pretty casual and actually want their kids to get colds and what not so they are hopefully healthier later. BUT< this stuff (HFM), is gross and I wouldn't want my kids to get that at all!
Sunchimes 08:30 AM 07-26-2012
I warned her about that. I didn't mean to imply that she's casual about her kids. It's just that her attitude is that the exposure is a done deal and there is no point in fretting about it. But, she knows to keep an eye on them for a few days.

It would be the first thing passed around my day care. This baby has had RSV twice, no I think 3 times, and no one caught it. She had something else that skipped the other kids. Anyway, I'm prepared because we are past due.
Tags:viruses
Reply Up