Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pack and Play Standards
Chatter Box 10:29 AM 02-20-2013

Originally Posted by :
At the end of next week, February 28th, all manufacturers and importers of infant and toddler play yards are required to test their play yards prior to retail to ensure that they meet new federal safety standards. This means play yards must have:

–Side rails that do not form a sharp V shape when folded, to prevent a children from strangling in the side rail. –Stronger brackets to prevent sharp-edged cracks and a side-rail collapse.
–Sturdier mattress attachments to the play yard floor, whicfh will prevent children from getting trapped or hurt.

in order to meet the safety standards. These actions taken by the CPSC are to further ensure the protection of children under “Danny’s Law” (the Danny Keysar Child Protection Safety Notification Act). This law was passed after Danny Keysar was killed in Chicago in 1198 when a previously recalled play yard collapsed. The new play yard standard is in honor of Danny and his family.

As CPSC staff makes the first move toward making play yards safer, they’ve also taken steps to make cribs, children’s bed rails, baby bath seats, baby walkers, toddler beds and infant swings safer. Stricter safety standards are also underway for bedside sleepers, bassinets, hand-held infant carriers, bassient attachments to play yards, infant slings, infant carriers and strollers.
http://blog.thebump.com/2013/02/20/c...rdrules-_-none

I wish they would add quilted sheets, ect for these. I understand the reason they should be tight but I have 6 pack and plays that I have bought quilted sheets for and the sheets pull them so tight that there is a 6" gap exposing the flooring of the pack and plays on every single one of them. I have tried every brand of sheet and I have all different brands of pack and plays. I don't think that making them tight like that is improving the safety of the pack and play.
Country Kids 10:32 AM 02-20-2013
–"Side rails that do not form a sharp V shape when folded, to prevent a children from strangling in the side"

I'm going to be interested in how they are going to fold down if they don't have the V shape sides.

Didn't the old playpens actually fold down this way.

They aren't going to collapse if they don't V fold!
Blackcat31 10:37 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
–"Side rails that do not form a sharp V shape when folded, to prevent a children from strangling in the side"

I'm going to be interested in how they are going to fold down if they don't have the V shape sides.

Didn't the old playpens actually fold down this way.

They aren't going to collapse if they don't V fold!
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says all PNP's must have "A test to prevent play yards whose top rails fold downward from using a hinge that creates a V- or diamond shape when folded to prevent head or neck entrapments." which to me means safety testing to make sure the sides don't collapse or withstand a ton of force before collapsing.

I don't read anywhere saying the sides can't have a folding mechanism like that.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/News...r-Play-Yards1/
mema 10:41 AM 02-20-2013
Maybe they'll be like these
http://www.shopping.com/J-Mason-Elmo...SS5110/reviews
I had one when ds was little and wish that I had never given it up. It folded flat and was a little harder to carry, but it was the best one ever!
Country Kids 10:44 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The Consumer Product Safety Commission says all PNP's must have "A test to prevent play yards whose top rails fold downward from using a hinge that creates a V- or diamond shape when folded to prevent head or neck entrapments." which to me means safety testing to make sure the sides don't collapse or withstand a ton of force before collapsing.

I don't read anywhere saying the sides can't have a folding mechanism like that.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Newsroom/News...r-Play-Yards1/
Its in the op that had the newest listings for safety measures. I checked the link and it does say they can't form a V for safety measures.

I think you safety measures were from last summer and they have changed them even more since then?
Blackcat31 10:45 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
Maybe they'll be like these
http://www.shopping.com/J-Mason-Elmo...SS5110/reviews
I had one when ds was little and wish that I had never given it up. It folded flat and was a little harder to carry, but it was the best one ever!
Nan talks about that brand alot. I don't know if they still make them or not though.

I was walking through Wal-mart not too long ago and walked past a PNP that was assembled in the baby area. I thought at first it was a doll toy or one for play but then realized that it was a model that was currently on the shelf for sale.

When did they start making them so short? My 10 month old DCB could probably climb right out of it with little or no effort.

REALLY dissappointed at how flimsy and disposeable they (PNP's) have gotten.
mema 10:49 AM 02-20-2013
They don't make them anymore. If I had know back in 2002 that I would be doing daycare-I wouldn't have sold it. My mom's neighbor bought it for her daughter, but they have since moved otherwise I would be knocking down her door to buy it back. I do watch craigslist and the used baby stores in town, but I think they are going to be really hard to find.
nannyde 10:51 AM 02-20-2013
The perfect playpen has already been invented. I've tried to attach two pics. It is 27 inches deep and 28 inches wide and 47 long. Sits an inch off the floor so the fall zone is only 28 inches. It is built on tension vertical and horizontal bars and does not have v collapsing rails. It has a heavy cot like bottom so no mattress or sheet necessary.

J mason first generation safe surround play yard. Sadly the company quit making baby equipment due to lawsuits with their car seats. But it HAS been invented. If I were king I would tweak a couple of minor things and then declare it safer than any playpen or crib I have ever seen. They are big enough to use fr birth to around 3.5
Attached: 20130220_123930.jpg (61.4 KB) 20130220_123912.jpg (69.1 KB) 
nannyde 10:53 AM 02-20-2013
Hehehe. I see I've been beat to it
nannyde 10:55 AM 02-20-2013
The one in the pic is nearly 10 years old
melilley 10:56 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Chatter Box:

I wish they would add quilted sheets, ect for these. I understand the reason they should be tight but I have 6 pack and plays that I have bought quilted sheets for and the sheets pull them so tight that there is a 6" gap exposing the flooring of the pack and plays on every single one of them. I have tried every brand of sheet and I have all different brands of pack and plays. I don't think that making them tight like that is improving the safety of the pack and play.
Yes I totally agree! The sheets do make a gap, I can't stand it!
Blackcat31 11:04 AM 02-20-2013
Its in the op that had the newest listings for safety measures. I checked the link and it does say they can't form a V for safety measures.

I think you safety measures were from last summer and they have changed them even more since then?
My licensor just keeps saying that the PNP's CAN have V shaped hinges as long as they have passed the CPSC safety testing.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/
prhtml98/98156.html.
Thus, after a review of the incidents,
as well as an assessment of the locking
and latching provisions, the false latch
provision, and the new provisions
meant to prevent a side collapse that
results in a V-shape, we determined that
these performance requirements and test
methods are sufficient to address play
yard side rail collapse issues
. Thus, we
are not proposing additional
requirements at this time.

So I guess, like the every other rule, providers are simply going to have to wait and see what their licensing, governing or ruling agency says.

Either that or use only standard sized cribs or not take infants....I am heading towards the later.
Chatter Box 11:06 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Yes I totally agree! The sheets do make a gap, I can't stand it!
I KNOW! It's like you have to sacrifice health for safety.

I don't want snot and drool all over my mattresses. Especially like now I have one that brought in a nasty cold with green snot. Now everyone is getting it. I have another child that has severe acid reflux... These things are so expensive! You don't have a lot of great options.

I like the sheets because it at least protects the one portion of the pack and play you can't take outside and hose off and scrub down.
Country Kids 11:13 AM 02-20-2013
My licensor just keeps saying that the PNP's CAN have V shaped hinges as long as they have passed the CPSC safety testing.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/
prhtml98/98156.html.
Thus, after a review of the incidents,
as well as an assessment of the locking
and latching provisions, the false latch
provision, and the new provisions
meant to prevent a side collapse that
results in a V-shape, we determined that
these performance requirements and test
methods are sufficient to address play
yard side rail collapse issues
. Thus, we
are not proposing additional
requirements at this time.

So I guess, like the every other rule, providers are simply going to have to wait and see what their licensing, governing or ruling agency says.

Either that or use only standard sized cribs or not take infants....I am heading towards the later.
I just looked at my regulations book and was very surprised. Nothing was said about cribs or play in packs.

The only thing even mentioned about sleep was:

Infants must sleep on their backs

That was totally it and it looks like my state is pretty lax on this-
Willow 11:41 AM 02-20-2013
Not sure if this is what they're talking about but I just bought two new pnp's and their sides fold in at a \_/ angle as opposed to a sharp \/ angle....perhaps that's what they're talking about?

The Graco ones I had had two velcro attachments for the pad at the bottom while these have a minimum of 8 which make it incredibly difficult to even get the sheet on it. I can with quite a bit of elbow grease, I keep waterproof pads under each sheet as well and my licensor thought that was a great idea. Was totally fine with it. It's just a pain in the rear.

The pads don't look like there's any way they'd bulge or bunch which is fantastic, I have no idea how many pnp's I've had to pitch because the bottom started to get all wonky.

They are Walmart cheapies but are quite obviously safer than what Graco had going on imho.

I so wanted to get porta cribs but everything with infant beds seems so up in the air right now. I didn't want to invest that kind of money only to have to buy something completely new in the next 6 months
Country Kids 11:48 AM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Not sure if this is what they're talking about but I just bought two new pnp's and their sides fold in at a \_/ angle as opposed to a sharp \/ angle....perhaps that's what they're talking about?

The Graco ones I had had two velcro attachments for the pad at the bottom while these have a minimum of 8 which make it incredibly difficult to even get the sheet on it. I can with quite a bit of elbow grease, I keep waterproof pads under each sheet as well and my licensor thought that was a great idea. Was totally fine with it. It's just a pain in the rear.

The pads don't look like there's any way they'd bulge or bunch which is fantastic, I have no idea how many pnp's I've had to pitch because the bottom started to get all wonky.

They are Walmart cheapies but are quite obviously safer than what Graco had going on imho.

I so wanted to get porta cribs but everything with infant beds seems so up in the air right now. I didn't want to invest that kind of money only to have to buy something completely new in the next 6 months

The pnp's that I have had were like what your talking about Willow but a child could still get their neck pinched in it.

Also, the pad had two straps that went through a slit on the bottom and was velcroed underneath the outside of the pnp. That way the child couldn't pull it up and off.
Patches 01:32 PM 02-20-2013
The pnp's that I have had were like what your talking about Willow but a child could still get their neck pinched in it.

Also, the pad had two straps that went through a slit on the bottom and was velcroed underneath the outside of the pnp. That way the child could pull it up and off.
What brand are your pnp's?
Country Kids 01:35 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
What brand are your pnp's?
Oh, I'm not sure. The parents provided them for me but I can find out if you would like. Three different families but all were the same.
Willow 02:06 PM 02-20-2013

REALLY dissappointed at how flimsy and disposeable they (PNP's) have gotten.

They almost have to be cheap and near disposable with how often safety regs change on them!

If I knew I could buy one of something that cost me $500 but it would be "good" for a solid decade I would! It's hard however to justify spending more than $50 when you're not sure it's going to be compliant 6 months from now kwim?

It's probably just as tough for manufacturers to keep up too. Why spend all that time and effort coming up with a quality product made of quality materials only to have production ceased a few months after it's distributed?
nannyde 03:36 PM 02-20-2013
They almost have to be cheap and near disposable with how often safety regs change on them!

If I knew I could buy one of something that cost me $500 but it would be "good" for a solid decade I would! It's hard however to justify spending more than $50 when you're not sure it's going to be compliant 6 months from now kwim?

It's probably just as tough for manufacturers to keep up too. Why spend all that time and effort coming up with a quality product made of quality materials only to have production ceased a few months after it's distributed?
they are making them more shallow on the inside and cheapening down the materials so the time of use decreases and the resale is lessened. They want the older mobile baby out as young as possible because the risk of injury increases dramatically as the child pulls up and starts destroying the moveable parts.

If they get shallow the kid gets out instead of getting stuck. By the time they are old enough to do damage they want them out. They make their money off of parents not daycare providers.
nannyde 03:44 PM 02-20-2013

Willow can you please measure the depth of your playpen from the lowest point of the top rail downward to the higest point of the mattress? Im interested in the inside depth. I've recently heard of depths as low as 18.5 inches.
nannyde 03:49 PM 02-20-2013

I started buying the jmasons in the early 2000's so some are nearly a decade old. I have 5 in storage for when they start dying out. I have seven in service now from different generations of them. The very first run was the best but bit by bit they started cheapening them down. The last generation was much smaller and more shallow. I use the one I got from the last generation for newborns. As soon as the baby pulls up I switch out to the bigger deeper ones.
nannyde 03:51 PM 02-20-2013
Oh, I'm not sure. The parents provided them for me but I can find out if you would like. Three different families but all were the same.
Country could you please measure the inside and tell me the brands? Anyone else who could provide that info I would be very grateful.
nannyde 03:54 PM 02-20-2013
Last post .... I'm going to do a video blog about playpens and will tag this thread if it's ok with Michael. This is a HUGE issue in child care.
Country Kids 04:56 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Country could you please measure the inside and tell me the brands? Anyone else who could provide that info I would be very grateful.
I don't have them anymore. The kids outgrew them and parents took them home.

I'm going to say they were possibly graco/2008-2009 models/and around 30 inches deep.

2 of them were navy blue and the other had jungle print. The bottoms had a slit on each end to stick a tab through to velco the mattress down on the outside bottom part.

I can't find anything though on the internet so maybe they were another brand.
nannyde 05:03 PM 02-20-2013
I don't have them anymore. The kids outgrew them and parents took them home.

I'm going to say they were possibly graco/2008-2009 models/and around 30 inches deep.

2 of them were navy blue and the other had jungle print. The bottoms had a slit on each end to stick a tab through to velco the mattress down on the outside bottom part.

I can't find anything though on the internet so maybe they were another brand.
ive never heard of a 30 inch deep playpen. I would pay dearly for that.
Country Kids 05:28 PM 02-20-2013
ive never heard of a 30 inch deep playpen. I would pay dearly for that.
I found them!!!!!

Evenflow is the maker and it looks like their play in packs are 30/32.5 possibly deep.

Don't know if you can do some research on their brand. I would look some more but I need to get dinner going and get to a class.

If you find anything out please let me know-
LaLa1923 06:08 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by Chatter Box:

Have them made
LaLa1923 06:11 PM 02-20-2013
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#ip/22151912

I have these...... I got mine for $25 and $32 new!
They have the straps to Velcro the pad
LaLa1923 06:16 PM 02-20-2013
http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-100...ravel-crib.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-453...-play-yard.jsp
If I had space I'd just buy ikea cribs.

These to pnps are deep

I really like the commercial grade pnp!!!
Willow 06:31 PM 02-20-2013
Willow can you please measure the depth of your playpen from the lowest point of the top rail downward to the higest point of the mattress? Im interested in the inside depth. I've recently heard of depths as low as 18.5 inches.
The ones I have now are made by Baby Trend, called Trend Nursery Center (model #PY81804, manufacture date Nov. 2012). The inside depth from top rail to pad is 23"

I still have my old Graco too (model number 1776294, manufacture date was I believe 2008?). I don't use it for my daycare but I do keep it around for when my niece visits. I have it out now because she's here visiting for the week and the side rails are also 23" while the end rails bow upward and top out at 29"

Did I miss, do they still sell the one's you have and recommend? If they haven't been recalled or deemed unacceptable all that time they sound like a really fantastic alternative.
mema 06:39 PM 02-20-2013
The ones I have now are made by Baby Trend, called Trend Nursery Center (model #PY81804, manufacture date Nov. 2012). The inside depth from top rail to pad is 23"

I still have my old Graco too (model number 1776294, manufacture date was I believe 2008?). I don't use it for my daycare but I do keep it around for when my niece visits. I have it out now because she's here visiting for the week and the side rails are also 23" while the end rails bow upward and top out at 29"

Did I miss, do they still sell the one's you have and recommend? If they haven't been recalled or deemed unacceptable all that time they sound like a really fantastic alternative
They don't sell the J Mason brand anymore. I've been watching craigslist and missed out on one a year or so ago, but haven't seen any since.
nannyde 06:44 PM 02-20-2013

Did I miss, do they still sell the one's you have and recommend? If they haven't been recalled or deemed unacceptable all that time they sound like a really fantastic alternative.
they were never recalled. They won national safety awards. They quit making them when they shut down their entire child equipment line. Really sad because the invention was BRILLIANT. With the help of experienced caregivers they could have the perfect safest confinement for infants AND toddlers. They solve every aspect I know. I think they are way way safer than cribs.
Patches 08:35 PM 02-20-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix#ip/22151912

I have these...... I got mine for $25 and $32 new!
They have the straps to Velcro the pad
I can't get your link to come up. I don't know if it's on my end but the screen just shows up white. Could you repost please?
LaLa1923 08:29 AM 02-21-2013
they were never recalled. They won national safety awards. They quit making them when they shut down their entire child equipment line. Really sad because the invention was BRILLIANT. With the help of experienced caregivers they could have the perfect safest confinement for infants AND toddlers. They solve every aspect I know. I think they are way way safer than cribs.
What is so great about them?
LaLa1923 08:30 AM 02-21-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
I can't get your link to come up. I don't know if it's on my end but the screen just shows up white. Could you repost please?

Hmm. It's working here. Its the cosco brand. I have the Kontiki print, I also have a matching highchair
Blackcat31 08:44 AM 02-21-2013
I started buying the jmasons in the early 2000's so some are nearly a decade old. I have 5 in storage for when they start dying out. I have seven in service now from different generations of them. The very first run was the best but bit by bit they started cheapening them down. The last generation was much smaller and more shallow. I use the one I got from the last generation for newborns. As soon as the baby pulls up I switch out to the bigger deeper ones.
A little of topic but just wanted to let you know about my recent purchase. I just bought 2 jmason PNP's for $20 each.

First one:

and this one:

I really like that they fold like this:

jackiemc08 05:19 PM 07-15-2013
I have a Fisher Price Nursery Center made by J Mason. There is a changing station attachment and a bassinet attachment. Does anyone have instructions on how to put the thing together properly?
MarinaVanessa 10:34 PM 07-15-2013
I just had an unnanounced visit from licensing last month and she checked my pack'n'play and mine has the same \_/ shape you describe (also Graco). She said it was fine (I'm in CA).
MrsSteinel'sHouse 03:01 AM 07-16-2013
As for sheets.. I just made them like a pillow case to slide on. It doesn't take much sewing effort The ones you buy just pull funny and leave the gap.
Tags:pack and play, playpen
Reply Up