Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need A Little Help Writing Something For A Child Leaving
JudyMac 07:25 AM 07-09-2013
Need some help, I had a parent drop off a book called "oh the places you'll go". They plan on giving it to their son when he graduates high school. I was asked to write about from the time I have cared for him. I have had him since the age of 8 weeks he is now 3 1/2. I am not someone who is good at coming up with something to say. I would live some ideas of what you would come up with. Thanks so much!
Blackcat31 08:05 AM 07-09-2013
Welcome to the forum!

This is a letter/poem that my son's child care provider gave him when he left her care. Maybe you could use it, or alter it to fit your needs if it isn't exactly what you want to say.

This little one I've cared for
is moving on today
I'll try to be the strong one
As those footsteps walk away
My love will always follow
Wherever he may go
Though I will not be with him
I will pray for him to know
The one who loved and cared for him
Did not leave him as it seems
Though he moves on, he'll still be here
Within my treasured dreams
It's been my task to guide him
Protect him from all harm
That task now falls on someone new
As I cross my empty arms
And wish and hope and pray for him
To know another one
Who loves him in this special way
As I've always done

MyAngels 08:34 AM 07-09-2013
I do this for my kids when they go to kindly. I usually write a letter. I start with a memory of when they were babies and work up from there. I tell them how proud I am of the wonderful young lady or young man they've become and how much I look forward to seeing how they continue to grow. I always tuck a photo of our current group in with it, too.
Laurel 09:05 AM 07-09-2013
I use this. Author Unknown. I substitute child's name.

Dear Toddler,
Caring for you is a challenge, for I have to be quick on my feet to keep up with your bondless energy. I had to learn to read your cues, for it is not always clear when I should help or when you need to try to do it on your own.

I have to be readily available always to snuggle, sometimes just to nod and other times to be secure base, from which you leave to explore but to come back to when you need.

Together, we are finding that sensitive balance and understanding of each other.

Caring for you is rewarding, a worthwhile challenge, filled with growth and development of you, and of me as I, too, uncovered, through your discoveries, the simple joys and the excitement of the newness of it all that I had forgotten so long ago.

Together, we shared our excitement about the magical wonder of life.

Caring for you is my gift to you, for I understand you will not remember much about me, what we explored together, what we learned together, but from me I pray you will get a love of learning and discovering a sense of trust and worthiness, that you will take with you into your future learning experiences and relationships.

Together, dear toddler, we have laid the foundation for a lifetime.
Former Teacher 12:30 PM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Welcome to the forum!

This is a letter/poem that my son's child care provider gave him when he left her care. Maybe you could use it, or alter it to fit your needs if it isn't exactly what you want to say.

This little one I've cared for
is moving on today
I'll try to be the strong one
As those footsteps walk away
My love will always follow
Wherever he may go
Though I will not be with him
I will pray for him to know
The one who loved and cared for him
Did not leave him as it seems
Though he moves on, he'll still be here
Within my treasured dreams
It's been my task to guide him
Protect him from all harm
That task now falls on someone new
As I cross my empty arms
And wish and hope and pray for him
To know another one
Who loves him in this special way
As I've always done
This is BEYOND beautiful! Now I have tears in my eyes!

I so wish I would have had it last year when the little boy I took care of moved Oh well. Its still beautiful!

Thanks for sharing BC!
KIDZRMYBIZ 12:37 PM 07-09-2013
There’s nothing “good”
About “good-bye.”
And that’s especially true
When good-bye is meant for someone
Who’s especially sweet, like you-
But since you have to leave
This note’s to let you know
You’re loved by us and cherished
Wherever you may grow.

I use this for every child that leaves my care. As a gift idea: I put finger-print people around the poem (each child and me), and label them. Then I put it in a cheap dollar store frame. It's cute, and all my parents LOVE it.
JudyMac 05:50 AM 07-10-2013
Thank You all these are really sweet. I think I am going to do a collage of the pics I have with one of the poems. I really appreciate all your help. If you have any other ideas please share them.
Reply Up