Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids and Mispronunciations
Rockgirl 06:32 AM 09-30-2016
What's the oddest one you've heard?

I have an articulate 3-year-old dcb who started talking at an early age, and has a big vocabulary. But he can't say 'banana'! For whatever reason, he pronounces it 'fabanta'.

FABANTA!
Unregistered 06:47 AM 09-30-2016
Love fabanta!

My favs were Poe-koe-nee-no for Pinocchio and sna-wich for sandwich.
spedmommy4 06:48 AM 09-30-2016
I have a very talkative 3 year old enrolled who keeps trying to say the name of her new friend here. (Scarlett). She keeps calling her Margaret. Both girls have been a little confused this week.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 09-30-2016
One of my little ones says "My daddy works at the Kleenex"
What they mean is "My daddy works at the clinic"

I have another that says "chumbers" for cucumbers and "chicken munks" for chipmunks
Mad_Pistachio 07:02 AM 09-30-2016
my Sunday School student once said, "my Dad shoots people at work." he is a troubleshooter, computer guy...
my daughter takes music lessons, and a week ago we got to "two eighths" (2 1/8-ths with dirty faces, stems, and a tail connecting them). she calls them "two Kates."
a kiddo at work kept calling potatoes "topatoes" and animals "aminals." that's probably pretty common.
Baby Beluga 07:02 AM 09-30-2016
I've had "strababa" for strawberry and "cubumbumer" for cucumber.
Indoorvoice 09:17 AM 09-30-2016
My favorite is Hoptercopter for helicopter. My one dck uses those cheap Gerber cloth diapers as her lovies. Her mom calls them britches, as in pants... Well you can guess what dcg calls them!
galaxy 09:47 AM 09-30-2016
hokinut for coconut if my current favorite.
Rockgirl 10:20 AM 09-30-2016
These are great--kids are funny!
wonderfullisa 11:04 AM 09-30-2016
A newly-3yo was telling me how her daddy said she is good at fishing.
However, what came out starting with a B! It took me quite a while to figure that one out.
Pepperth 11:50 AM 09-30-2016
My 2 year old says pumpkin with an "f" instead of a "P"and leaves out the "Mk" when he says it. My older boy used to say "key-ot-nee" milk for chocolate milk. He was a late talker so it was music to my ears.
e.j. 12:15 PM 09-30-2016
If any of my current dc parents happen to read this, it will out me but....I have one dcg who calls ketchup "chupper" and one dcb who calls Maleficent from Sleeping Beauty "Mellissa-fant". When my dd was little, she used to call sweet potatoes "sweet buttatoes". I didn't even pick up on it, though, until she brought home a school assignment she had done in either kindergarten or first grade. She was asked to list her favorite foods and "sweet butt atos" was on the top of the list.
Controlled Chaos 12:35 PM 09-30-2016
These are great.

I have so many 2s right now - I can't think of anything specific but they are all very verbal and speak so sweetly in their toddler way.

I was sad when space month was over, I loved hearing the 3yo talk about "Earf" all the time. He knew all these science facts about orbits, moons, stars, could name all the planets etc so it made it extra cute he couldn't say Earth.
delferka 01:01 PM 09-30-2016
Miss Cockie instead of Miss Kathie!!!!!!
MotherNature 01:20 PM 09-30-2016
My son had the cutest words around 2- foofs for shoes, modasho for motorcycle, and our favourite- buddlewozer for bulldozer.
sharlan 01:30 PM 09-30-2016
I had a girl who pronounced banana as ba dob by. It ticked her father off to no end and he constantly corrected her.
Poptarts22 01:32 PM 09-30-2016
When my daughter was little she called seagulls seagiggles and Shamu was shampoo.
daycare 02:55 PM 09-30-2016
i have one that tries to say chalk and it comes out c@ck. it took me weeks to figure out what she was saying, I was afraid to ask the parents.....
Febby 06:05 PM 09-30-2016
Had a kid a while back who kept calling the waffles "legos." Took me forever to figure out that he meant "Eggo."

Not a pronunciation issue, but I find it funny when my kids forget what they're eating. "Ms. Febby, can I have more of um, um, what is this?"
e.j. 06:46 PM 09-30-2016
I almost forgot .... One of my 3 year olds pronounces caterpillar as "patakiller"

Also, in late summer, we hear cicadas buzzing loudly around the yard. When my 1 year old dcb hears them, he gets excited and yells what sounds like, "Jesus!" The first time he did it, it took me a few minutes to realize he was saying, "Cicadas!" When his dad came in to pick him up that afternoon, I warned him about it and said, "When he says it at home tonight, I just don't want you to think, 'e.j. must have had a bad day today and was teaching the kids bad words!" We laughed about it but sure enough, when he go home that night, dcb repeated it and his mother's reaction was, "Did he just say Jesus?!!" I was so glad I had given his dad the heads-up that afternoon!
e.j. 06:51 PM 09-30-2016
Originally Posted by Poptarts22:
When my daughter was little she called seagulls seagiggles and Shamu was shampoo.
I will never be able to see another seagull without thinking of it as a "seagiggle" now! So cute!

Originally Posted by daycare:
i have one that tries to say chalk and it comes out c@ck. it took me weeks to figure out what she was saying, I was afraid to ask the parents.....
That's funny! Must have been a relief when you figured it out!
Unregistered 07:52 PM 09-30-2016
Had a 2 yr old who would mutter "bummy" when he got frustrated with anyone. Took me a while to figure out he was saying "dummy".
ColorfulSunburst 07:53 PM 09-30-2016
me: it is a monkey. Say it. Monkey.
2.5yo: dada.
Me: m-m-m-m-m
he: m-m-m-m
Me: m-m-m-monkey
He: dada
MunchkinWrangler 10:33 PM 09-30-2016
My DS called a child who's name is Megan 'Nee' for the longest time!

My cousin's child calls another cousin 'ya-ya'...her name is Morgan.

Pestle 04:33 AM 10-01-2016
I have one who's barely talking and all of his words come out "Guck." Especially since he's really into trucks.

Yesterday, when we were outside, he started yelling "Guck! Guck!" and then began crying. I was like, "Dude, your truck is in your hands."

Then I realized he'd gotten his thigh wedged in his lawn chair and was yelling "Stuck! Stuck!"
e.j. 11:47 AM 10-01-2016
And one more.... one 3.5 year old dcg calls sunscreen "hun screen". I've explained that it's pronounced sunscreen and that it's called that because it protects us from being burned by the sun but she insists it's "hun screen".
Mad_Pistachio 12:33 PM 10-01-2016
my daughter called sunscreen "sun-s-cream" last Summer. it was a huge shock when we used spray instead of cream.

a boy I babysat called refrigerator "fridge-fridger."
sahm1225 01:19 PM 10-01-2016
My dd used to call Sunglasses 'summer glasses'. I thought it was so cute! 8 have a little one 2 yrs old that can't say S, it comes out sounding like a K. She calls herself 'kidney' instead of Sidney!
BumbleBee 04:37 PM 10-01-2016
Chippy Mouse for Chipmunk

Tiny Coconut for a Walnut
Pandaluver21 02:02 PM 10-02-2016
Oh golly, I have to pick one? I don't think that's possible :P

My name is one of the best.
Name: Ms Irene
Child's variations: Reem, Rireem, Bibean, and Reenttttttttt (he had a backwards stutter :P)

One little boy (2yrs)said the "F" word often, and we just couldn't figure out what he was actually trying to say, later to find out it was frog :P

Bapreez -Batteries (we still call them that and the kid hasn't been with us in 3+ years!)
Pooker- Cooper (another child)
Grbean- Green
Poke-a-honk-us- Pocahontas - Ok, I think that one is my favorite
Pestle 05:14 PM 10-02-2016
My actual nickname starts with a "Wee" sound. One of my kids calls me Weewee.
MsHannah 05:23 PM 10-02-2016
Originally Posted by Pandaluver21:
Oh golly, I have to pick one? I don't think that's possible :P

My name is one of the best.
Name: Ms Irene
Child's variations: Reem, Rireem, Bibean, and Reenttttttttt (he had a backwards stutter :P)

One little boy (2yrs)said the "F" word often, and we just couldn't figure out what he was actually trying to say, later to find out it was frog :P

Bapreez -Batteries (we still call them that and the kid hasn't been with us in 3+ years!)
Pooker- Cooper (another child)
Grbean- Green
Poke-a-honk-us- Pocahontas - Ok, I think that one is my favorite
Are you sure you aren't my old cooperating teacher!? Lol one of the children at her in-home daycare referred to another child, Cooper, as "Pooker." It was so cute!
Mad_Pistachio 10:20 AM 10-03-2016
suddenly remembered once more.
I worked in a family that had a housekeeper, her name is Estelle. the 2-year-old called her Tetel.
Hunni Bee 11:23 AM 10-04-2016
I have one who substitutes /t/ for all /c/, /qu/ and /g/ sounds. Queen and clean are tween, etc.

I eventually will bring it up to Mom but in the meantime she makes me smile every time she talks.
JackandJill 01:03 PM 10-04-2016
I have a little guy who says "froke" instead of broke and "fiedom" instead of spider. His little voice is super cute!!

The best was a few years ago when I couldn't understand why a group of 3 year old boys were all playing "goats"... the boy who came up with the game was mispronouncing ghosts!
Ariana 01:57 PM 10-04-2016
Noey = snow
Chachitz = sausage
Ukikorn = unicorn

So many
LostMyMarbles 02:01 PM 10-04-2016
I had a dck who wanted a @ucker....aka sucker
And one who wanted wee wee water...aka kiwi water
e.j. 02:05 PM 10-04-2016
Originally Posted by JackandJill:
I have a little guy who says "froke" instead of broke and "fiedom" instead of spider.
This reminded me of a dcb I had years ago who called spiders "spatulas" He also called chicken "shicken"
Unregistered 12:27 AM 10-05-2016
Lindo for window. lellow for yellow
Hunni Bee 06:46 AM 10-05-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
And one more.... one 3.5 year old dcg calls sunscreen "hun screen". I've explained that it's pronounced sunscreen and that it's called that because it protects us from being burned by the sun but she insists it's "hun screen".
My littles last year used to call it "sun cream". I never corrected them, it fits I guess.
Controlled Chaos 12:25 PM 10-05-2016
Working in the garden, my very verbal 2yo DD class tomatoes "ba-may-toes" and I love it
Meeko 01:13 PM 10-05-2016
I have a little who's dad just bought her a "jumpoween" (trampoline)
adnilwis 12:03 PM 10-06-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
What's the oddest one you've heard?

I have an articulate 3-year-old dcb who started talking at an early age, and has a big vocabulary. But he can't say 'banana'! For whatever reason, he pronounces it 'fabanta'.

FABANTA!
My son is 3 and talks well for his age but cant say some simple words either. He says oatmeal like ertmeal and says music funny too. Last year he couldn't say the sn blend so snow was no, sneeze was neeze and snowman was noman. :-) my daughter is 2 and says fork like ****. We laugh everytime.
Controlled Chaos 12:43 PM 10-06-2016
I have a friend who's child is named "Fox". Well his sibling couldn't pronounce it right and would chant through the grocery store "Mom Fox Dad! Dad Fox Mom!" over and over over The dad thought it was hysterical, mom was mortified
daycare 01:53 PM 10-06-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I have a friend who's child is named "Fox". Well his sibling couldn't pronounce it right and would chant through the grocery store "Mom Fox Dad! Dad Fox Mom!" over and over over The dad thought it was hysterical, mom was mortified
Lmao ahhahahahahahaahhahahaha. That is the best by far too funny.

We used to have a kid Axel, of course it came out sounding like a$$hole..

Gotta love kids.
e.j. 04:13 PM 10-06-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I just came back to add another of my kid's funny name for things but saw the above post. That's sofunny! It reminded me that when my son was little, he would often ask a question instead of stating a fact so instead of saying, "I want a cookie.", he'd say, "Do you want a cookie?" In the middle of a busy store aisle one day, he passed some gas, looked up at me and excitedly yelled, "Did you pass gas?!" The woman standing next to me started giggling as she very quickly walked away. Embarrassing at the time but so much better than Mom Fox Dad!

Anyway... one of my kids came in wearing a long sleeve shirt and when the weather turned out much warmer than expected, she asked me if I had an "up sleeve shirt" to change her in to instead. Until today, I had forgotten that she calls short sleeve shirts "up sleeves" and long sleeve shirts "down sleeves".
Meeko 06:28 AM 10-07-2016
One of my daughter's is almost 21 now...but for some reason, as a toddler, she would mean to say "You're welcome" but would say "Well Cromma!"
Meeko 06:34 AM 10-07-2016
I was fascinated by shoes when I was little and couldn't wait until I was old enough to wear "hee-hile" (high heel)shoes.
Mike 07:03 AM 10-07-2016
As a kid, I always said "another one fidge" whenever we were coming up to a bridge.
Reply Up