Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Time Mom Thinks She Knows Everything
Unregistered 05:15 PM 06-22-2010
I have a first time Mother and boy does she think she knows everything and it gets on my nerves seeing how she always tells me how to do this or that and informs me of things like I dont have a clue. Well today she brings me a bigger carseat because she says her Son is to big for the carrier when he is only 17 pounds and 6 months old well the carseat she brang me is a huge model she got from a yard sale and I check the back and guess what its expired so I tell her the seat is expired and its to big for my van I have the smaller version of the caravan so I go on to tell her that her Son can use the other babies carrier he doesnt use anymore because it hold up to 22 pounds and its longer and when her Son is 1 years old he can sit in my childs carseat forward facing well she came back with APA says a child should sit rear facing up untill the age of 2 years old and he is gonna sit rear facing for that long I was thinking WTH what 1 year old wants to sit staring at a seat I know my kids loved sitting forward facing at one I didnt say anything back as she knows everything have any of you had to deal with a Mother like this. This is the first time for me she is all about breastfeeding, cloth diapering, eating organic, baby wearing, which is there is nothing wrong with that Im just not that way and Ive never had another daycare parent that way. She is also getting rid of the kids doctor because he didnt agree with one of her home remedies which was odd to me too her kid is also now wearing a teething necklace I dont get it.
professionalmom 05:55 PM 06-22-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a first time Mother and boy does she think she knows everything and it gets on my nerves seeing how she always tells me how to do this or that and informs me of things like I dont have a clue. Well today she brings me a bigger carseat because she says her Son is to big for the carrier when he is only 17 pounds and 6 months old well the carseat she brang me is a huge model she got from a yard sale and I check the back and guess what its expired so I tell her the seat is expired and its to big for my van I have the smaller version of the caravan so I go on to tell her that her Son can use the other babies carrier he doesnt use anymore because it hold up to 22 pounds and its longer and when her Son is 1 years old he can sit in my childs carseat forward facing well she came back with APA says a child should sit rear facing up untill the age of 2 years old and he is gonna sit rear facing for that long I was thinking WTH what 1 year old wants to sit staring at a seat I know my kids loved sitting forward facing at one I didnt say anything back as she knows everything have any of you had to deal with a Mother like this.
I have NEVER heard of rear-facing until 2 years old. But I just checked. It appears that she may be right. Trust me, I AM shocked. My DD will be 2 next month and she has been front facing since she hit the 1 year & 20 lbs mark. I was thrilled. After all, when it's just the 2 of us, she is calmer because she can see me. BUT, all the info I checked out a minute ago also said that you need to follow the seat's recommendations. If it's not built to protect a child over 20 lbs, it's not helping.

I'll bet this mom is young. I was a first time mom at 33 and everyone was shocked at how laid-back I was. But, I also had a ton of experience with kids, so I didn't flip out over every little thing. I love when I have a DCM under 25 and she acts like she knows it all and I'm so kind of idiot. I jsut want to say, "hey, I've been taking care of kids since before you were even conceived. You can't possibly know more than me. I'm NOT saying I know more than you or that I'm better than you. Just don't insult me by saying you know more than me!" But, I have too much class to lower myself to their immature level.

This is the first time for me she is all about breastfeeding, cloth diapering, eating organic, baby wearing, which is there is nothing wrong with that Im just not that way and Ive never had another daycare parent that way. She is also getting rid of the kids doctor because he didnt agree with one of her home remedies which was odd to me too her kid is also now wearing a teething necklace I dont get it.
OY! Why do these moms have to give the rest of us a bad reputation! Not all of us breastfeeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing moms are this arrogant! I promise you. I breastfed and I loved it. I think I'm the only one I know who was getting a full 8 hours of sleep per night from the time my baby was 2 weeks old. But, it's not for everyone. We did the cloth diaper thing for most of the first year, then DD's urine output became too much (changing every 1/2 hour!). But I loved the cloth diapers. Tried baby wearing. DD didn't like the sling until she was a little older, but it never caught on for us because we tried to start later. I believe in it, it just wasn't for DD. Eating organic is nice and I do try to buy organic when I can afford it. But, I'm not fanatical about it.

I guess I'm the type of mom who had an "ideal" picture in my head before I became a mom. But, I had the brains to modify my "ideals" to fit my DD and her personality. Nor am I arrogant enough to tell someone else that there's only one way to raise a child. Every parents needs to find what works for him/her and his/her child. Just tell this mom to get off her self-righteous high horse, get real, and leave her opinions at the door. Just joking. Don't say it. But, you can think it - everyday if you have too. Then there's the even famous eye roll once the door is closed.
originalkat 06:35 PM 06-22-2010
I second Professional Mom's last paragraph!!
misol 08:19 PM 06-22-2010
[quote=professionalmom;33678]I have NEVER heard of rear-facing until 2 years old. But I just checked. It appears that she may be right. Trust me, I AM shocked. My DD will be 2 next month and she has been front facing since she hit the 1 year & 20 lbs mark. I was thrilled. After all, when it's just the 2 of us, she is calmer because she can see me. BUT, all the info I checked out a minute ago also said that you need to follow the seat's recommendations. If it's not built to protect a child over 20 lbs, it's not helping.

*Wow, this is crazy! I can't imagine having to make my kids wait until 2. As a matter of fact I turned my kids around before the age of 1 (both were about 10 months) because their legs were crunched up and they were so uncomfortable. I have very large children and they met the height and weight requirements for our state, just not the age.

OY! Why do these moms have to give the rest of us a bad reputation! Not all of us breastfeeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing moms are this arrogant! I promise you. I breastfed and I loved it. I think I'm the only one I know who was getting a full 8 hours of sleep per night from the time my baby was 2 weeks old. But, it's not for everyone. We did the cloth diaper thing for most of the first year, then DD's urine output became too much (changing every 1/2 hour!). But I loved the cloth diapers. Tried baby wearing. DD didn't like the sling until she was a little older, but it never caught on for us because we tried to start later. I believe in it, it just wasn't for DD. Eating organic is nice and I do try to buy organic when I can afford it. But, I'm not fanatical about it.

*So true - we are not all like that. We did all of the above except cloth diapering because the daycare that we used didn't "do" cloth diapers.
hawkfan428 04:33 AM 06-23-2010
I feel ya. We had a new baby start a couple of weeks ago and mom (first timer) brings in what I like to call a 2.5 page instruction manual on her 2 month old. I've been working in infant rooms for 7 years now. I kind of get it...but really? Do you really need to tell us that we can dispose of his drop-in liners for his bottle? Not to mention she puts the kid in like 3 onsies and wants him to stay that way all day AND keep his shoes and socks on. AHH!!
tmcp2001 04:57 AM 06-23-2010
I'll respond to your post in two parts...

First - It drives me CRAZY when first time parents tell me what to do. Uh, I have four kids. Trust me, not only do I learn every day that I know nothing about parenting - you have one kid, you know NOTHING about parenting. Read every book you want, the only way to learn this stuff is to go through it.

Second - I'm a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) which I voluntarily took four days of (unpaid) leave from work to become certified in. Rear facing until AT LEAST age two is recommended. It is five times safer! It has nothing to do with age/maturity of the child. It has to do with the development of a child's bone structure. In a crash, a forward facing child will be thrust forward at such a high rate of speed (even in a low impact crash) that they could actually sever their spinal chord internally resulting in paralysis or even death. This happens because a child's bones are still soft (allowing the head and neck to move forward while the body is - hopefully - restrained by the harness straps) and their head still makes up a large portion of their body. To the opposite effect, in a crash, a rear facing child is cradled by the car seat - the seat will absorb the crash force and the child will be much better protected. Plus, there is no drastic forward movement.

I have a 28lb 2.5 year old - she's still rear-facing in a Britax Boulevard. There are several seats on the market that now rear-face to 40llbs. Oh, and just in case anyone wonders - it's perfectly fine for a child's legs to be bent/folded and touching the back of the vehicle seat. There have been no reports of children breaking their legs while rear-facing in a crash. Even so, I'd take a broken leg over a broken spine anyday!

For more information visit http://www.car-seat.org/.

Okay, off my soap box now...
booroo 05:28 AM 06-23-2010
Well my dd were rear facing until they were 4... They are tiny little thing and still at 8 and 6 sit in a car seat, I just turned my 2.5 year old.... Sorry but safer is better when in a car wreck, which my children and I were a roll over, they all walked away...

As far as know everything, just grin and smile and say, well there is more than 1 way to raise a child, here at my dc we do it this way!!
Lianne 05:33 AM 06-23-2010
Awesome information! Well done.
actaktmdt 05:33 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by tmcp2001:

First - It drives me CRAZY when first time parents tell me what to do. Uh, I have four kids. Trust me, not only do I learn every day that I know nothing about parenting - you have one kid, you know NOTHING about parenting. Read every book you want, the only way to learn this stuff is to go through it.

Second - I'm a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) which I voluntarily took four days of (unpaid) leave from work to become certified in. Rear facing until AT LEAST age two is recommended. It is five times safer! It has nothing to do with age/maturity of the child. It has to do with the development of a child's bone structure. In a crash, a forward facing child will be thrust forward at such a high rate of speed (even in a low impact crash) that they could actually sever their spinal chord internally resulting in paralysis or even death. This happens because a child's bones are still soft (allowing the head and neck to move forward while the body is - hopefully - restrained by the harness straps) and their head still makes up a large portion of their body. To the opposite effect, in a crash, a rear facing child is cradled by the car seat - the seat will absorb the crash force and the child will be much better protected. Plus, there is no drastic forward movement.

I have a 28lb 2.5 year old - she's still rear-facing in a Britax Boulevard. There are several seats on the market that now rear-face to 40llbs. Oh, and just in case anyone wonders - it's perfectly fine for a child's legs to be bent/folded and touching the back of the vehicle seat. There have been no reports of children breaking their legs while rear-facing in a crash. Even so, I'd take a broken leg over a broken spine anyday!

Thank you...............yes rear facing untill 2 is verry impotant as mom and a dc mom. There are some verry strong prof that amber necklaces help kids and adults....while I don't use it a dc mom uses it on her child and its day and night difference.....emosks we need jens link and I can't copy and paste it from my phone can u get it and post?
jen 07:02 AM 06-23-2010

Thank you.
laundrymom 10:30 AM 01-11-2011
rofl! O am NOT laughing at you but at myself for the way I was cheering you on while reading this!

worry about head placement, not foot comfort. =-) thats what I have been known to tell parents,.. well in a crash which do you want broke? head or foot? so far noone has said head. I also HATE when they yank them out of shoulder harnesses before they are large enough. I couldnt care less if they WANT to be restrained, they either do it or dont ride in the car.
at least with me,.. and dont even START me on the whole, regular car safety belt and putting the shoulder harness behind them making it a lap belt. That makes my blood boil.... if they arent big enough to keep the dang belt out of their face, back in a car seat they go!

I truly think that in every birthing class they need graphic pictures of safety seats, AFTER crashes, complete with blood, and carnage. I want them to watch a crash test baby dummy go through different types of collisions,.. I want red paint packets and sound effects. I want to scare people into using seats correctly. I want them to leave that birthing class,.. terrified of doing it wrong. I do my dangdest to keep kids as safe as I can, as I know how to, when they are here,.. I wish parents and friends did the same.

Keri'sKids 12:27 PM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by professionalmom:
I have NEVER heard of rear-facing until 2 years old. But I just checked. It appears that she may be right. Trust me, I AM shocked. My DD will be 2 next month and she has been front facing since she hit the 1 year & 20 lbs mark. I was thrilled. After all, when it's just the 2 of us, she is calmer because she can see me. BUT, all the info I checked out a minute ago also said that you need to follow the seat's recommendations. If it's not built to protect a child over 20 lbs, it's not helping.

I'll bet this mom is young. I was a first time mom at 33 and everyone was shocked at how laid-back I was. But, I also had a ton of experience with kids, so I didn't flip out over every little thing. I love when I have a DCM under 25 and she acts like she knows it all and I'm so kind of idiot. I jsut want to say, "hey, I've been taking care of kids since before you were even conceived. You can't possibly know more than me. I'm NOT saying I know more than you or that I'm better than you. Just don't insult me by saying you know more than me!" But, I have too much class to lower myself to their immature level.

I guess I'm the type of mom who had an "ideal" picture in my head before I became a mom. But, I had the brains to modify my "ideals" to fit my DD and her personality. Nor am I arrogant enough to tell someone else that there's only one way to raise a child. Every parents needs to find what works for him/her and his/her child. Just tell this mom to get off her self-righteous high horse, get real, and leave her opinions at the door. Just joking. Don't say it. But, you can think it - everyday if you have too. Then there's the even famous eye roll once the door is closed.
Wow!! Your last paragraph is right on the mark! Good for you to know what is best without going with the herd. I applaud you.
Unregistered 08:16 AM 06-23-2010
Thanks for all the wonderful comments. I did read up on what the APA recommends but as we know as parents these rules and guidelines change all the time and us as parents to what WE think is best for OUR kids as far as it being a daycare child I will try the rear facing with him but if it gets to be to hard to get him in and out etc. he will be turned around as the law is rear facing intill the age of 1. The teething necklaces are ambers and they go around the babies neck its really small and the baby cant get to it even thou I do worry about any of the other kids seeing it and pulling on it which hasnt happened yet I did notice a difference at first but today he was a fussy pants drooling and chewing on his little hands whew Im glad its nap time.
Lilbutterflie 10:08 AM 06-23-2010
I too am SHOCKED at the APA's recommendations for rear facing until 2! But it is just a recommendation, not the law.
I had a mom whom I was going to start watching her 6 month old son in Aug full time; but she ended up needing to watch him just for a week about a month ago (he was 3 months old at the time). She questioned pretty much everything in my contract, and was upset that I told her we would be outside twice a day (in the morning and afternoon). At the time, it was in the late 80's to 90 degrees during the mid-afternoon; and she told me that her Dr. told her that babies should not be outside for more than 10-15 minutes in the heat; even when they are in the shade!! I have other kids that NEED to have outdoor playtime, so I told her it couldn't be helped. Also, she is our neighbor and she takes him outside on her own for walks all the time!! She then got upset with me for letting him sleep for 4 hours without waking him up, and the next day she told me she wanted him to eat every 3 hours on the dot; sleeping or not. Again, I guess there's nothing wrong with parenting that way; but that's not how I do things here. Everyone gets outdoor playtime, no matter what their age; and I let babies determine their own schedules. I think you just have to say "Your parenting style is great, and I'm sure it works for you; but that's not how I do things here." If you lose her, then you know it's probably for the better. The mom and I ended up deciding in the long run that we would part ways. I will not be watching her son in August.
Daycare Mommy 10:33 AM 06-23-2010
Food for thought. Heartbreaking story and the forward vs. rear facing crash tests are eye opening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8gU9zzCGA8
emosks 10:43 AM 06-23-2010
I'm really shocked at the amount of people who think that at 1 year just because it is the law that they either have to or want to turn their kids around to FF! Don't you want these kids to be safest when in your care? PLUS...the amount of people that think just because a child is 40 lbs that they are ready for a seatbelt/booster seat combo. Very scary to me.

Check out this story...http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/ or just google why you should keep your child RF as long as possible.
jen 11:06 AM 06-23-2010
I want to thank everyone who passed along the links regarding rear-facing car seats. I can't imagine anyone watching these and continuing to use front facing. I've seen similar videos before but it is a great reminder.

I copied the links to dcp's. I hope I see a few more facing backward tomorrow.
TGT09 11:20 AM 06-23-2010
Originally Posted by emosks:
I'm really shocked at the amount of people who think that at 1 year just because it is the law that they either have to or want to turn their kids around to FF! Don't you want these kids to be safest when in your care? PLUS...the amount of people that think just because a child is 40 lbs that they are ready for a seatbelt/booster seat combo. Very scary to me.

Check out this story...http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/ or just google why you should keep your child RF as long as possible.
I agree....I take extra precautions with ALL children that ride with me...daycare kids and my nieces alike! I'd rather be safe than sorry. I think the transfer to booster seats are the scariest for me so I tend to drag those out. I also let no one under age 16 ride in the front seat!!! That is a huge one for me!
kendallina 12:10 PM 01-11-2011
I have a first time Mother and boy does she think she knows everything and it gets on my nerves seeing how she always tells me how to do this or that and informs me of things like I dont have a clue. Well today she brings me a bigger carseat because she says her Son is to big for the carrier when he is only 17 pounds and 6 months old well the carseat she brang me is a huge model she got from a yard sale and I check the back and guess what its expired so I tell her the seat is expired and its to big for my van I have the smaller version of the caravan so I go on to tell her that her Son can use the other babies carrier he doesnt use anymore because it hold up to 22 pounds and its longer and when her Son is 1 years old he can sit in my childs carseat forward facing well she came back with APA says a child should sit rear facing up untill the age of 2 years old and he is gonna sit rear facing for that long I was thinking WTH what 1 year old wants to sit staring at a seat I know my kids loved sitting forward facing at one I didnt say anything back as she knows everything have any of you had to deal with a Mother like this. This is the first time for me she is all about breastfeeding, cloth diapering, eating organic, baby wearing, which is there is nothing wrong with that Im just not that way and Ive never had another daycare parent that way. She is also getting rid of the kids doctor because he didnt agree with one of her home remedies which was odd to me too her kid is also now wearing a teething necklace I dont get it.
The APA's suggested guidelines changed about a year ago I think on having children rear face until age 2 (or even longer). It is MUCH safer for the child.

ETA: I really should look at the date of these threads before responding and also read all responses before mine... lol
sahm2three 12:17 PM 01-11-2011
Well, I didn't wait until 2, but my kids were AT LEAST 18 months old before I turned them around. When my kids were that little, the recs were staying rear facing until they were at least 1 AND 20 pounds. My kids were teeny tiny. My daughter was barely 16 pounds at a year! So, it took some time! As for the home remedies, I understand that too. I never used the teething necklace, but I am guessing it is an amber necklace. I know of a friend who used them and her kids NEVER had teething issues! So, don't knock it till you try it! I think that is what is wrong with western medicine these days! It is med pushing at its best!
Tags:bad parent, car safety, car seats, drooling, know it all
Reply Up