Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your BEST Interview Tips :)
wahmof3 12:31 PM 07-16-2012
Hi all,

I have an interview tomorrow one that as of right now I REALLY REALLY want this family. It totally works with my program.

So what is your BEST interviews tips??

Does

Don'ts

I charge per space & she needs Tues, Wed, Thur care, which in my contract is still full time. So how do you "sell" the pay per space option.

It feels like FOREVER since I interviewed and I always get so nervous lol
jojosmommy 12:37 PM 07-16-2012
I feel like if they are calm mannered people who understand how daycare works you know it. Not too worried about this or that, not too demanding about this or that etc. Its hard to explain. For me it is personality/family style.

And I don't sell the whole full time thing. If they don't get it from day one they will always be annoying about it. I feel like if they already are asking "why this much?.... why this" then they are going to do it from then on. If they "understand you have a budget too" etc they will be like that from then on. No real suggestion there. Just my opinion.

Good luck!
Nickel 12:41 PM 07-16-2012
I dont havr any real advice. Id love to hear what other say. But for me. I except full time and part time care. so when i applied for my first spot, i said my rates are pt 0-25hours per work x amt and ft 26-45 hrs week x amt and left it at that. She still responded she wants to meet with me so i guess that was a good sign! Good luck to you. Cant wait to hear how it goes!
SilverSabre25 12:44 PM 07-16-2012
I suck at interviews but the best advice I have for selling the full-time space is that sine they pay for full-time, they have the right to bring the child full-time. So, for those days when they need to get some errands done, cleaning done, etc, they can bring the child on Monday/Friday for no extra charge.
Heidi 12:46 PM 07-16-2012
After your dc kids leave tonight. Go outside the door your dc parents use, and stand outside for a moment. Take a deep breath of outside air.

Now....walk in the door. What do you see, hear, and smell first? THAT's the first thing they will notice.

Ever watch those real estate shows where they stage the home? Think that way. I've had interviews where I baked fresh cookies, put on some soft music (classical or "Kids" music), the whole shebang. Make sure everything is clean, you have all the paperwork organized, and you look your best, but daycare friendly best.

If they bring their child, greet them, then greet their child. The parents are going to want to see how their child reacts to you and vs. versa. You gotta win over the kid before you'll win over the parents. Then, take a minute to get the child involved in an activity, maybe something they can do on Mom's lap if they are shy. If it's an infant, ask if it's ok to hold him or her, and don't forget to wash your hands very obviously first!

That's all I've got....

As far as the rate thing goes...save that for the last part of the conversation. They already love you, they love your program, their child is comfortable, and you've got a good vibe...that's when you talk $.
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 07-16-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Hi all,

I have an interview tomorrow one that as of right now I REALLY REALLY want this family. It totally works with my program.

So what is your BEST interviews tips?? Be yourself! The most important aspect of the provider-family relationship is communication, so just be yourself! You will know within a few minutes if the family meshes well with you and is or isn't a good fit for your program.

Does: be confident!!! (even if you aren't)...fake it til you make it! When you are confident in your policies and rules, parents tend to follow that lead and will listen or follow your policies much better if they know you stand firmly behind them.

Don'ts: Don't ever over explain anything. Get used to saying "This is how I do things" or "This is what works for me" and say it with a sense of firmness that won't leave families thinking there is ever room for negotiation. You don't have to explain all the little details of why you have certain policies. Never over explain. Learn to stop talking (explaining) and don't give in to the urge to fill the awkward silences.

I charge per space & she needs Tues, Wed, Thur care, which in my contract is still full time. So how do you "sell" the pay per space option.

It feels like FOREVER since I interviewed and I always get so nervous lol
I answered in bold. Also, I wouldn't worry about selling or explaining your rates. Say "this is my rate for XX amount of days" and leave it at that. If you are fairly competitive with other surrounding child cares for rates, then it probably won't be an issue.

I love interviewing and honestly feel the interview sets the foundation for the type of relationship you will have with a family. If they try to ask about bending rules/policies in my handbook or ask for "special" alot throughout the interview, I will quicken it up and tell them I will let them know in a few days and then e-mail them that I felt they weren't a good fit and wish them luck in their continued search for care.

Mostly, just relax and be who you are. If you try to do or say a bunch of things that just aren't you but are things you would normally do and say, then that leads to way too much work later trying to keep up appearances so just be you! If they love you, great! If not, then they weren't a good fit and you are better off not enrolling them.
Truly Scrumptious 04:18 PM 07-16-2012
I have an Interview sheet that I use to make sure I don't leave out anything!
Of course anytime I have an issue with a parent that's enrolled, I make sure and add that particular issue to the interview sheet, so next time I can make sure and discuss that information up front.
It's much easier to confront a parent about an issue, if we've already discussed it in advance.

I also don't allow children at the first interview...I don't want any distractions.
wahmof3 06:07 PM 07-16-2012
I love each of these responses!! Thank you so much!!

I'm def going to re-read these tomorrow morning to boost myself up for a great interview!!!!

wahmof3 07:35 AM 07-17-2012
Thanks again for everyones words of encouragement!!!

I really feel like I ROCKED this interview

I love love love it when I feel so comfortable with the parent
renodeb 07:39 AM 07-17-2012
I wish I had seen this post yesterday. This may seem like a weird tip but I always sweep off my front porch and make sure it looks inviting. Thats the first thing they will see. I always make sure to have the paper work ready so I can just grab it during the interview.
One thing I do is ask questions on the phone, I can usually tell if its a good fit by the way it goes on the phone. One of the first questions is always about rates. The next best tip I can give is be confident in your self. Very matter of fact. Parents will really respect that. Be prepared for there questions. I have had parents walk in with a list of questions and others who just wing it.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Debbie
wahmof3 05:45 AM 07-19-2012
Thanks again everyone, I am starting this family in August!!!!

Blackcat31 08:22 AM 07-19-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Thanks again everyone, I am starting this family in August!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!

I love happy interview endings
mema 10:09 AM 07-19-2012
Yay! Glad it worked out!
Tags:interview - ideas, interview - nervous
Reply Up