Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Ever Worry About....
coolconfidentme 03:22 AM 06-20-2014
.... bed bugs? Having a family bringing them into my DC never crossed my mind, until yesterday.

A pest company confirmed a tenant left them behind when they moved out of a rental property I own. Unfortunately it will take 6 weeks to treat the house & will cost about $1,000. The house is full of her crap she left behind too. Can you believe she sent me a forwarding address for her deposit???

I now think about the all the DCKs that have come though the door. I am very fortunate I do not live in my DC, but reading up on it..., they can be transported to another location. My skin crawls just thinking about it!!
Play Care 03:33 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
.... bed bugs? Having a family bringing them into my DC never crossed my mind, until yesterday.

A pest company confirmed a tenant left them behind when they moved out of a rental property I own. Unfortunately it will take 6 weeks to treat the house & will cost about $1,000. The house is full of her crap she left behind too. Can you believe she send me a forwarding address for her deposit???

I now think about the all the DCKs that have come though the door. I am very fortunate I do not live in my DC, but reading up on it..., they can be transported to another location. My skin crawls just thinking about it!!
A provider on another forum had a family who gave her an "oh, by the way" a year or so ago... I don't believe she had them in her house because of it, but she was furious. They had a backpack they had been bringing back and forth and she put a stop to that!
midaycare 04:16 AM 06-20-2014
Well I hadn't thought about it ...until now. I was pretty happy in my ignorant bliss.
coolconfidentme 04:20 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Well I hadn't thought about it ...until now. I was pretty happy in my ignorant bliss.
ME TOO!
I never in a million years thought I would have to deal with it either. YAK! Where's the *hurl* emoticon?
midaycare 06:36 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
ME TOO!
I never in a million years thought I would have to deal with it either. YAK! Where's the *hurl* emoticon?
Exactly. I am grossed out enough by spiders and other creepy crawlers.
SilverSabre25 06:42 AM 06-20-2014
I think about it. I live in fear of the idea because the expense would suuuuuck.....

fleas are easier to treat. lice are easier. Just about ANYTHING is easier.
Meeko 06:50 AM 06-20-2014
It's one of the reasons I do not let anything come from home unless it has to.

I require two changes of clothing that stay here (and that I wash). I provide all blankets for nap and wash them in hot water more than I need to. I do not allow any bags of any kind.

Bed bugs are becoming more common and are hard and expensive to get rid of. I prefer to be proactive!!!
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
It's one of the reasons I do not let anything come from home unless it has to.

I require two changes of clothing that stay here (and that I wash). I provide all blankets for nap and wash them in hot water more than I need to. I do not allow any bags of any kind.

Bed bugs are becoming more common and are hard and expensive to get rid of. I prefer to be proactive!!!

nothing enters my home on a daily basis other than the child.

the child's belongings stay in the entry way and each child has their own space so the coats/hats etc are not touching each other.

I wash and launder all blankets and bedding.
LysesKids 07:04 AM 06-20-2014
I don't allow diaper bags, backpacks or carseats for this exact reason… back in 2010 in AR there was a big problem with bedbugs in the daycare centers; I changed my policies right then and there and informed parents, no lovey's, stuffed animals etc for the plain fact that the damn things can hitchhike on toys & carseats - they can be picked up in Gyms, Hotels… even movie theaters like what happened in NY.

Nope… don't want the issue
Butter Biskets 08:06 AM 06-20-2014
I think about it ALL. THE. TIME!! So far, I haven't done anything proactive other than pray to God I don't end up with them in my house.
nannyde 08:21 AM 06-20-2014
A friend of mine had it happen and it devastated her business. It took way more than a grand.to eradicate and she lost all of her customers and a lot of her inventory. The house she lived in had tons of problems after the tenting and heat eradication. She had to do a bunch of rewiring which was really expensive.

The family went on their merry way and didn't offer a dime.
Little Buttons 10:18 AM 06-20-2014
YES!!! I worry about bed bugs! I do as others have said and eliminate as much as possible coming from home on a daily basis, provide and wash linens...then i pray a lot! I try not to obsess about it because I do what I can to prevent it but it is somewhat out of my control :-\
AmyKidsCo 03:09 PM 06-20-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Me too! Thanks for freaking me out now...
Reply Up