Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is It A Daycare If A Nanny Brings Her Own Kids?
Unregistered 10:37 AM 10-10-2017
Have someone I am considering as a Nanny, however, she'd also be bringing her own kids. I'm fine with this, but, does this mean my home has to be registered as a state childcare center?

This is in Michigan.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 10-10-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Have someone I am considering as a Nanny, however, she'd also be bringing her own kids. I'm fine with this, but, does this mean my home has to be registered as a state childcare center?

This is in Michigan.
How many kids do you have and how old are they?
How many children does the nanny have and what age?

Here is a link to the licensing rules in MI

https://www.daycare.com/michigan/
Unregistered 11:48 AM 10-10-2017
I have 5, ages 2, 4, 6, 8 and 9.

She has 3, Ages 5 months, 2, and 4.

I was trying to look for rules involving this but couldn't find much.
Unregistered 12:13 PM 10-10-2017
I see the ratios there, but I can't quite decipher them.

Like, I assume it would be considered a family daycare, if anything.

But do "family members under 7" apply to my kids, or hers? Since the house is legally mine, and my kids live here.
Pestle 12:58 PM 10-10-2017
Regardless of the legal side, I would NOT want a nanny with a 1:8 ratio watching my children, especially with three small children of her own to be concerned with!
Unregistered 01:08 PM 10-10-2017
She's someone I know well personally, who has a ton of experience in childcare of multiple kids, so not worried about that.
Blackcat31 01:23 PM 10-10-2017
I would call the licensing office just to be sure. (the number is at the bottom of the page in the link I posted)

However, in my state, you would be perfectly legal as you are not required to be licensed if you are only providing care for one family (other than your own) no matter how many kids the other family has. So technically if I hire a nanny with 8 kids to watch my 15 kids....it's legal. lol!

Like I said, I'd call the licensing offices just to be sure but from what info I read via the Michigan links, I don't think anyone needs a license.
morgan24 03:45 PM 10-10-2017

This is in Michigan.
In the State of MI you only have be licensed if you are caring for unrelated children in your home. Having someone come in to your home with their own children would be legal.
284878 06:18 AM 10-11-2017

This is in Michigan.
No, you would not need to be a daycare, she can legally bring her own kids to your home but not anyone else's. (You can not nanny share in MI.) She also can not take your kids to her house, if she did then she would have to have her home set up and licensed as a day care.
284878 06:23 AM 10-11-2017
I have 5, ages 2, 4, 6, 8 and 9.

She has 3, Ages 5 months, 2, and 4.

I was trying to look for rules involving this but couldn't find much.
I am going to assume that your 6,8, & 9 are going to be in school for most of the day, so she would have a 1:5 ratio. Family day care ratio is 1:6.
LysesKids 11:04 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Regardless of the legal side, I would NOT want a nanny with a 1:8 ratio watching my children, especially with three small children of her own to be concerned with!
As a parent I would not hire someone adding her own kids to the mix if they were hired to watch mine; I was a Nanny for a family with 6kids for a summer back in 2005 (I had closed the daycare in one state & moved so was still working on re-opening lol); My DD was old enough to stay home alone and we had family in the area she could visit if they came to pick her up. Believe me driving to the pool & everything else was exhausting enough with just the 6 kids
CityGarden 11:19 AM 10-11-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
However, in my state, you would be perfectly legal as you are not required to be licensed if you are only providing care for one family (other than your own) no matter how many kids the other family has. So technically if I hire a nanny with 8 kids to watch my 15 kids....it's legal. lol!
I believe this to be the law here in CA as well.
Tags:michigan, michigan regulations
Reply Up