Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? Re: Nap for 3 yr Old?
Ariana 03:45 PM 11-16-2011
I have a DCM who is a bit of a flake. You may remember some posts about how she is not very interested in her childrens well being and is overall not the greatest parent (it's just all about her all the time). I take care of her 3 yr old DD who has been with me for over a year now. When mom brought her to me at 2, I was told she "doesn't nap" well within 3 days she was napping here.

Fast forward to now mom wants me to drop her nap. I do agree with her because nap seems to now be affecting night time sleep. She's not falling asleep until 10pm some nights. I told mom we'd give it a try for a week and see how she does without a nap. So we did last week and now this week she looks exhausted, tells me she's tired frequently and mom reports her being in a bad mood at the end of the day. She apparently goes to bed at 8:30pm and wakes up at 6am so 9 1/2 hours of sleep per day. Not enough sleep. She should be getting between 12-14 hrs. I suggested to mom that she go to bed earlier but as per usual she is not listening and just tells me "she's never been much of a sleeper".....

So today I got her to lie down while I put the 18 month old in her PNP just to rest (while we waited for younger one to fall asleep before she began her quiet play) and within 3 minutes she was asleep. I woke her after 30min but she was soooo tired and clearly didn't want to wake up and then was in a "cry baby" mood for the rest of the day.

So my delemma is do I keep the nap, not keep it? WWYD in this situation? I feel so bad for this kid!!! Thanks for reading
christinaskids 04:03 PM 11-16-2011
I would keep the nap. The reason she may not be going to bed could be her diet or lack of bedtime routine. If a child NEEDS a nap, then they NEED one just as much as they need to eat or go to the bathroom. Its about her health.
Cat Herder 04:06 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I told mom we'd give it a try for a week and see how she does without a nap.

now this week she looks exhausted, tells me she's tired frequently and mom reports her being in a bad mood at the end of the day.

WWYD in this situation?
OK, DCM...we gave it a try, it is not working. I am going back to my plan, now. All children nap.
Ariana 04:22 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by christinaskids:
I would keep the nap. The reason she may not be going to bed could be her diet or lack of bedtime routine. If a child NEEDS a nap, then they NEED one just as much as they need to eat or go to the bathroom. Its about her health.
You said exactly what I had been thinking. She naps here a maximum of 1 hour and the night she was up until 10pm she had only napped for 40 minutes. How can a 40min nap affect night time sleep that much?!! I just feel that the lack of routine is what is causing the night time issues and I know they're fed a lot of junk food at home. I was at the gym a few weeks ago and got back around 8:30pm and they were at the park beside my house!! Obviously not the best "wind down routine" and obviously the kids aren't in bed every night at 8:30!! LOL

I also find there are days when she doesn't nap and that's fine too. I think I'll at least give her the opportunity to nap every day!
Ariana 04:23 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
OK, DCM...we gave it a try, it is not working. I am going back to my plan, now. All children nap.

Love it!!
countrymom 04:55 PM 11-16-2011
what happens in your house, stays in your house, what happens after they leave is not your problem. I get alot of "they just don't want to go to sleep" "they are not tired" blah blah blah. First off, routine is key, I don't know how many children have no routines when they leave my house. Second, don't expect a child to go to sleep at 7pm and sleep till 7am, aint going to happen. Also, I, found that by the time parents pick them up, its rush rush rush then stuff the children to bed.
sharlan 05:10 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Perfect response.
Texasjeepgirl 07:09 PM 11-16-2011
Small people NEED NAPS.. sorry..but that's how I feel.. PERIOD.. and. Oh.. by the way.. not an option at my daycare.. it's in MY PARENT HANDBOOK.. Please do NOT ASK FOR YOUR CHILD 'NOT' to take a nap.. this is my 'rest period' as well as theirs.. and.. frankly.. I have infants in my care.. who are on DIFFERENT NAPPING SCHEDULES..so.. even when the toddler group is napping.. I'm changing diapers... feeding bottles... etc.. I do NOT KEEP KIDS AWAKE from nap.. NO..
don't ask..

www.tammyschildcare.com

www.texasjeepgirl.shutterfly.com

mommiesherie 07:38 PM 11-16-2011
A song comes to my mind on this one. Remember the will smith song in the 80's. Take it from me parents just don't understand. Lol. This one sounds clueless!!!!!! Poor kid. Give her a nap and I wouldn't advertise it to mom if she falls asleep. I bet mom won't even know if unless you tell her. I'm not saying hide it from her but give the child the option. Don't make her stay awake
Tags:3 year old, parent - unrealistic expectations, parents - are clueless, sleep - issues
Reply Up