Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help.. What To Look For In A Basement For Future Daycare Location
daycaremom88 11:59 AM 04-17-2013
Hi
I am looking with my husband at houses and we would like to find one ASAP to buy. I am currently doing daycare in our split level house we rent and it is getting frustrating.. And doesn't feel big enough now with 5-8 dck all day. For those that do daycare in a basement space. How did you decide that was the right space was there anything you looked for like a certain layout or anything I should consider in general? This is a big step for me I've done daycare for 3 years and love it and am ready to make a big move to have a dream space
Cradle2crayons 12:11 PM 04-17-2013
A bathroom!!!!!!!!! Lol!!!! Ad windows would be great... Most houses here don't have basements but a gal can dream right??

If I could do that, I'd definitely want windows...and I'd think just a hugeeeee open space I could partition and room off myself... We are a big construction family so that would be easy for us!!

OT but right now, I have a separate empty bedroom altogether I'm using as part of the daycare area...the kids all call it "the green room" because it's that calming neutral green color and the only bedroom that color lol

Also there is another small room(bonus room) that is located on the master side of the house... Right now I'm using for the sewing room. However I've been debating doing something with that room related to the daycare.. Not sure yet.. My master is huge and I could do my sewing in there.

Oh and another thing that would be awesome instead of a bathroom down there is doing like we did both bathrooms and putting multiple single vanities in there. If I had a basement, the bathroom would be custom because we are good with that stuff. It would have three toilets in a boy girl separate set up with three separate sinks in each of the boys and girls area. Then outside but still in the same area I would do at least three custom changing areas... And then one of those really deep sinks in case more in depth child cleaning is needed.

Also, a lot of this depends on how many kids max you can keep and what your laws a are on different things.

Oh, oh, I'd install a custom kitchen down there too... With a sink. Stove, oven, microwave, and dishwasher ... Like a kitchenette maybe... Ten have my husband do custom eating areas...

Then of course have my husband do custom areas for centers, babies, and age group appropriate etc.

Holy crud I just realized something, where would I find. 5,000 sq. ft. Basement that was open and finished .... Someone pinch me now....
LittleD 12:15 PM 04-17-2013
Bathroom, for sure.

Kitchen would be nice, but you will want a fridge and microwave at the very least.

At least 1 large enough window as alternate means to escape a fire.
butterfly 12:16 PM 04-17-2013
1. basement steps near your entrance. I don't want people walking through my whole house to get to my daycare space.

2. bathroom in daycare area (for same reason as above and for convenience)

3. kitchen space in daycare area

4. egress windows for a second exit

5. a walk out basement would be nice for easy outdoor access
Heidi 12:17 PM 04-17-2013
A bathroom, a separate "sleeping room", and a walk-out. Preferably, a walk-out that can be accessed into the play-yard and that the parents can use to come in and out. That way, with the exception of maybe having an infant sleeping in your upstairs room during naptime, you've got your business completely seperate from your family.

A mini-kitchen would be great, too. Even a small dorm refrigerator, a sink, and a microwave. You could also use that area for art.

Lots of windows, if at all possible.

If you find a house on a hill, you're most of the way there! Look for ones that might say "Mother-in-law suite" in the description.
Heidi 12:19 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
A bathroom!!!!!!!!! Lol!!!! Ad windows would be great... Most houses here don't have basements but a gal can dream right??

If I could do that, I'd definitely want windows...and I'd think just a hugeeeee open space I could partition and room off myself... We are a big construction family so that would be easy for us!!

OT but right now, I have a separate empty bedroom altogether I'm using as part of the daycare area...the kids all call it "the green room" because it's that calming neutral green color and the only bedroom that color lol

Also there is another small room(bonus room) that is located on the master side of the house... Right now I'm using for the sewing room. However I've been debating doing something with that room related to the daycare.. Not sure yet.. My master is huge and I could do my sewing in there.

Oh and another thing that would be awesome instead of a bathroom down there is doing like we did both bathrooms and putting multiple single vanities in there. If I had a basement, the bathroom would be custom because we are good with that stuff. It would have three toilets in a boy girl separate set up with three separate sinks in each of the boys and girls area. Then outside but still in the same area I would do at least three custom changing areas... And then one of those really deep sinks in case more in depth child cleaning is needed.

Also, a lot of this depends on how many kids max you can keep and what your laws a are on different things.

Oh, oh, I'd install a custom kitchen down there too... With a sink. Stove, oven, microwave, and dishwasher ... Like a kitchenette maybe... Ten have my husband do custom eating areas...

Then of course have my husband do custom areas for centers, babies, and age group appropriate etc.

Holy crud I just realized something, where would I find. 5,000 sq. ft. Basement that was open and finished .... Someone pinch me now....

OT-we call our playroom the green room as well because of the hunter-green carpet.
Starburst 12:21 PM 04-17-2013
If its an older house you might want to check for lead paint. They have little kits for like $20 where you can do a swab test and if it turned pink it means it contains lead. U can also use them for plates and other items around the home.

Since its a basement you might also want to look into having it tested for mold and gas leaks too.
Cradle2crayons 12:25 PM 04-17-2013
Lol... What a coincidence!! When we bought our house last year, walking through it, I had already pictured the daycare areas lol... Both bathrooms had a single sink vanity but it was weird because they were both mini sized compared to the space built for the vanity to be placed so we ripped them out of both bathrooms, and put two single vanities in each bathroom. It was the BEST thing we could have EVER done!!! They were on sale at Home Depot for the whole setup sink and all for $49 bucks. Husband did the plumbing and Whalah it's awesome. If I had a basement I'd put three of those in each of the boys and girls area. Right now I use the master bathroom for the girls bathroom and the kids bathroom for the boys bathroom. Reason being that although I have two sinks in each, I only have one toilet and my DS takes an awful long time to poop and someone always needs to go during that time lol.
Meeko 02:42 PM 04-17-2013
We have a 1500 sq foot basement that we use for daycare.

It is a "walkout" basement as they are called around here, meaning it has it's own entrance, which is then biggest plus for me. My family home is completely separate upstairs which is important to us.
SunnyDay 03:35 PM 04-17-2013
I would love a separate entrance. Really, really wish I had that. I would say a bathroom is a high priority, and a kitchen would be a nice perk
Laurel 04:05 PM 04-17-2013
In Florida we don't have basements (unlike Ohio where I used to live). BUT providers here have tried to use finished garages and free standing outside buildings and I've heard horror stories. Like we bought this house and now the fire department/building department does not approve it for child care. They need to have major renovations and different cities have different rules.

It might be good to check the rules for the area you plan to buy in.

Laurel
bunnyslippers 06:06 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
A bathroom, a separate "sleeping room", and a walk-out. Preferably, a walk-out that can be accessed into the play-yard and that the parents can use to come in and out. That way, with the exception of maybe having an infant sleeping in your upstairs room during naptime, you've got your business completely seperate from your family.

A mini-kitchen would be great, too. Even a small dorm refrigerator, a sink, and a microwave. You could also use that area for art.

Lots of windows, if at all possible.

If you find a house on a hill, you're most of the way there! Look for ones that might say "Mother-in-law suite" in the description.
Took the words right out of my mouth! Walk out and windows are huge - you can always ass a fridge, microwave and sink later.
canadiancare 06:14 PM 04-17-2013
Check the legislation in your area. Most places require 2 exits and there are rules about window location if that is the 2nd exit from your basement.

Happy Home shopping.
blandino 06:27 PM 04-17-2013
I know I am just reideraing what has already been said, but I think having it's own entrance is vital. Also, having a bathroom will save you a ton of headaches.
And an area to have dedicated for sleeping. Those would be my "must haves" for any space for a daycare, based on complications and issues we have had.

Lots of windows would be a nice plus for the natural lighting.
daycaremom88 08:25 PM 04-17-2013
Thanks for all the ideas! We found "the" one tonight! It's only a mile north of where we live in Lincoln, NE so all my parents will stay with me through the move that's if we get it ofcourse. We will put an offer in tomorrow. The basement isn't a walk out but has 1300 sq ft of space a big bathroom, and a good potential spot to install a small kitchenette. Now to start planning out how to start thinking about how the layout for this house would work for me Can't wait to be in a better set up!
Meeko 08:39 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by daycaremom88:
Thanks for all the ideas! We found "the" one tonight! It's only a mile north of where we live in Lincoln, NE so all my parents will stay with me through the move that's if we get it ofcourse. We will put an offer in tomorrow. The basement isn't a walk out but has 1300 sq ft of space a big bathroom, and a good potential spot to install a small kitchenette. Now to start planning out how to start thinking about how the layout for this house would work for me Can't wait to be in a better set up!
How exciting! Keep us updated on the progress!
itlw8 07:24 AM 04-18-2013
ceiling height is Number 1 check your regulations first. It is rare except for a new house to have a finished height of 8 feet. 7 feet or is it 7 ft 6 is allowed here. I am grandfathered in the old rules.

Walk out without steps

bathroom

then I would want to be able to add a kitchenette plenty of storage and to be able to see every one.

You also need an area without carpet to eat and paint.
SunnyDay 02:58 PM 04-18-2013
In light of recent weather in my area, I would also add to make sure it doesn't flood. Ask your home inspector if drainage, etc. looks good.
daycaremom88 06:51 AM 04-25-2013
A small update! We did not get the house that I really liked. I live in Lincoln, NE and it is a sellers market and a lot of houses are selling in the first 48 hours a house is listed. But we have recently found and viewed a really nice home with a much bigger space in the basement with one big room to set up however I shall choose. It also has a big storage space with really nice laminate flooring where I could see us finishing it as a kitchen/dining area for the kids. Also this is a walkout so parents could come through the back door and not go through our upstairs at all. So we put an offer in and see what happens now..
WImom 11:24 AM 04-25-2013
Good luck!! A walkout basement will be awesome!
daycaremom88 11:47 AM 04-26-2013
Thanks! We signed most of our paper work last night so it is a go! and We will start moving in June 1st! Is there anywhere on this forum that I could find an example of a letter to inform parents that your moving? And also I don't really know who quick I can get the daycare moved over to the new house it's only a mile or so from us. Any moving tips advice is welcome!
Reply Up