Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Advice-From Those Who Own a Center
ljohnson81 01:47 PM 11-18-2016
Hello everyone!

I need some advice from those who have opened a daycare facility or in the process of opening. I would like to know how soon did you start advertising that your day care is "coming soon" before becoming licensed? After you became licensed what step did you choose next, did you begin advertising enrollment for children or did you begin the process for hiring first? The licensing rep in my area for Texas typically takes no longer than a month (2 months max) to approve facilities and I'm just curious on the choices made by others.
Blackcat31 07:57 AM 11-20-2016
Originally Posted by ljohnson81:
Hello everyone!

I need some advice from those who have opened a daycare facility or in the process of opening. I would like to know how soon did you start advertising that your day care is "coming soon" before becoming licensed? After you became licensed what step did you choose next, did you begin advertising enrollment for children or did you begin the process for hiring first? The licensing rep in my area for Texas typically takes no longer than a month (2 months max) to approve facilities and I'm just curious on the choices made by others.
I dont know if we have any center owners from TX on the board... I know Sugar Magnolia has a center but shes in Fl and ECS is in Tx but I believe is licensed as family or large group and operates a preschool out of her home.

Either may have some advice or suggestions..
ljohnson81 01:00 PM 11-20-2016
Thanks!
thebenners 06:05 PM 11-21-2016
I'm not opening a center, but I am opening an in-home childcare and will be licensed for up to 30.

I started advertising in early October with the intention to be licensed by mid November. I will be licensed by first week in December.

It worked great for me. I am almost full (but daycare is in huge demand here). I already had my staff lined up, but they are acquaintances of mine and knew that they wouldn't work until i was full/ready. They are currently sahm's so it worked.

Good luck!
ljohnson81 09:30 AM 11-22-2016
Wow...an in-home center licensed for 30?? My state only allows a maximum of 12 for a regulated in-home daycare. I worked as a former director and parent educator at an Head Start so I was able to develop a good rep with many families. So I have quiet a few families lined who said they will place their children in my proposed center. I'm already set-up as a LLC and I already have the website and email address. I'm just stomped on what to do first. I don't want to advertise too soon until I get licensed. I also thought about beginning the hiring process while in the process of becoming licensed. I just don't want to wait months after getting an approval to begin hiring or enrolling because I would still have to pay a lease....but anyways hopefully I will make a decision soon! Thanks for responding and best wishes on your new center!!
Blackcat31 10:02 AM 11-22-2016
Originally Posted by thebenners:
I'm not opening a center, but I am opening an in-home childcare and will be licensed for up to 30.

I started advertising in early October with the intention to be licensed by mid November. I will be licensed by first week in December.

It worked great for me. I am almost full (but daycare is in huge demand here). I already had my staff lined up, but they are acquaintances of mine and knew that they wouldn't work until i was full/ready. They are currently sahm's so it worked.

Good luck!
in HOME for 30 children?

Wow! Some states have wide margins for capacity limits...

Max number of children we can have at one time as a family in HOME provider here is 14. I can have 130 enrolled but only 14 max can attend at one time (depending on ages)

Anymore than 14 in attendance and we'd have to be licensed as a center.
thebenners 08:24 PM 11-22-2016
Well, I will start with a Group 18 license and then i have to apply to the city for the group 30. With my square footage, i can have 20 in my basement and 16 on my main floor. But, 30 is the cap.

At any rate, I don't want to take more than 22, but I need the group 30 to get to that number.
Reply Up